Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Confusing Upgrade Experience (Mobile Check-in –> Airport Upgrade List)

Confusing Upgrade Experience (Mobile Check-in –> Airport Upgrade List)

Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage Starwood
Question Confusing Upgrade Experience (Mobile Check-in –> Airport Upgrade List)

I recently had a confusing upgrade experience. I have humble gold status but seem to get upgraded 90% of the time.

This past weekend I checked in at the 24 hour mark as per my usual. I sometimes do not have internet access on the return so I had to check in on my blackberry. In the past there was a drop down menu confirming that an upgrade is still being requested. That seems to have disappeared recently. Still it seems the upgrade request goes through. When I reached the airport MCO I printed my boarding pass and again requested the upgrade at the kiosk. Just after this I received an email upgrading me on the second leg of my trip.

When I reached the gate, the monitor had no one listed on the upgrade list. I spoke to the GA, she took my information and magically my name was on the list after a few keystrokes.

Has anyone had problems checking in via a blackberry browser? Why was my name not on an upgrade list despite checking in 24 hours in advance and confirming the request at the kiosk

I finally was upgraded but had to wait till the plane was at least half boarded.

Thanks for any insight.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM. HH Diamond
75%+ off the time when an upgrade didn't clear for me in advance, and I put my name on the airport list via the kiosk, my name would not appear on the list at the gaye. The agents always chalked it up to the kiosks not really working as intended here...
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
When you check in, you have to request again to be put on the airport upgrade list. This is different than your prior request. Maybe on the blackberry, you didn't see the option? Regardless, you should always check once at airport that on upgrade list. Finally, you have the same priority on the list (date of your original upgrade request -- usually when purchasing tix) so you didn't lose out.

With a 90% upgrade ratio as Gold, you certainly have nothing to complain about .
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by FertilityDoc
I recently had a confusing upgrade experience. I have humble gold status but seem to get upgraded 90% of the time.
Wow. You certainly have a better upgrade rate than I do
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Don't use Mobile Checkin if trying to upgrade!!!!

Checked in on my iPhone, and it failed at the "add to airport upgrade standby list." Apparently, the mobile app checked me in, but did NOT add me to the airport upgrade standby list as requested.

There really is no remedy here. I'm a 2MM, Plat member, called Plat line and hear the following facts:

1. there are at least three helpdesk numbers I need to contact (webservices, platinum desk, and usablenet (mobile).
2. you cannot "un-checkin" with AA any way
3. no one can change my seat (to a better coach seat) after I "checked in."
4. usablenet (mobile AA.com) is a joke, 866-237-7971 is basically an answering service, since I called at 8pm Central where the operator said no "staff" was available and she would get this to her "staff" and they would call me back. Whatever.
5. AA Platinum line no longer has direct lines into the ORD AAdmirals club. No numbers. Period. Blamed it on the recent renovations, all they have is a fax number. I am a paid member, and apparently they are the ONLY ones that can change a seat after checkin (or failed checkin).

ARE YOU SERIOUS THAT I CAN'T GET ADDED TO AIRPORT UPGRADE STANDBY OR CHANGE MY FREAKIN SEAT ONCE THE MOBILE APP FAILS CHECKIN????
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The non-mobile OLCI can do the same thing... with the same results. I had to talk to the gate agent for each flight to get a new seat or upgrade. Don't you love system "enhancements"?

I had to go to a kiosk to print each boarding pass and one of them (for a flight I didn't want to upgrade) offered me a LFBU.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
This is not new. Once you attempt to check in online via ANY means, you will not be able to complete any further seat changes or upgrade requests online or via phone reservations. Only airport agents have the power at that point.

In the old days, it was no problem...you simply called up your favorite AAngel at your hometown AC, and he or she took care of it for you. Nowadays, it has become more complicated, since most ACs are no longer reachable directly--you must go through the main Executive Center switchboard at ORD, at which point they will try to transfer you over to phone reservations agents who cannot do anything.

NB: The EXP Desk still has the power to call ticket counters, gate counters, AC front desks, etc on your behalf. But you have to have a VERY good reason (and a sympathetic, willing EXP Agent). The last time I did it, I was on an inbound longhaul international connection at DFW, connecting to the last LGA flight of the evening. I was running as fast as possible through the terminal and made it to the flight with about 30 seconds to spare before the door closed. I made the flight only because I had been on the phone with the EXP Desk as I ran, and the very kind agent was negotiating on my behalf with the DFW gate agent working the LGA flight!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
This is not new. Once you attempt to check in online via ANY means, you will not be able to complete any further seat changes or upgrade requests online or via phone reservations. Only airport agents have the power at that point.
Great, but what if the checkin process fails? What if it actually "checks you in" but fails to add you to upgrade standby as has happened several times for me on the iPhone app?

Is there just NO remedy????? I will have to wait until the morning to get on the upgrade list along with everyone else going ORD->DFW???
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by gozetta
Great, but what if the checkin process fails? What if it actually "checks you in" but fails to add you to upgrade standby as has happened several times for me on the iPhone app?

Is there just NO remedy????? I will have to wait until the morning to get on the upgrade list along with everyone else going ORD->DFW???
Sticker/EXP upgrades are ordered my original request within status and Y/B vs. other fares, even on the airport upgrade list. Yeah, it's an annoying bug AA should fix, but how hard is it to go up to the GA or AC AAngel and have yourself added?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Sticker/EXP upgrades are ordered my original request within status and Y/B vs. other fares, even on the airport upgrade list. Yeah, it's an annoying bug AA should fix, but how hard is it to go up to the GA or AC AAngel and have yourself added?
Since it's time-sensitive, based on who gets in the queue first (starting at the 24 hour cycle from initial check-in window oppty), would you mind going to the airport for me? I'm currently sipping whiskey in my hotel suite on the East side. Any alternative suggestions? I suppose it's not hard if you're spending the night at the airport, next to the magical kiosk that has powers that no agent, website, or mobile device has.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:27 pm

Since it's time-sensitive, based on who gets in the queue first (starting at the 24 hour cycle from initial check-in window oppty), would you mind going to the airport for me? I'm currently sipping whiskey in my hotel suite on the East side. Any alternative suggestions? I suppose it's not hard if you're spending the night at the airport, next to the magical kiosk that has powers that no agent, website, or mobile device has.
No it is not. Sticker/EXP upgrades are based on original time of request even on the airport upgrade list. SWU/Mileage upgrades are ranked (within tier etc.) by check-in time if not clearing before the flight goes to airport control (approx T-4). If connecting you could even get higher on the list for those upgrades by checking in at T-24 at your origin.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
No it is not. Sticker/EXP upgrades are based on original time of request even on the airport upgrade list. SWU/Mileage upgrades are ranked (within tier etc.) by check-in time if not clearing before the flight goes to airport control (approx T-4). If connecting you could even get higher on the list for those upgrades by checking in at T-24 at your origin.
Well this is news. Perhaps I need to read more on this forum, but then I ask, what is the point of the "Airport Upgrade Standby List" if there is no difference between that and the "SWU/Mileage ranking List?"
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Well this is news. Perhaps I need to read more on this forum, but then I ask, what is the point of the "Airport Upgrade Standby List" if there is no difference between that and the "SWU/Mileage ranking List?"

They are two entirely different things.

The "airport upgrade standby list" is for upgrades to X or R booking classes using e-upgrades or complimentary upgrades if EXP or traveling on Y/B fares.

The SWU/eVIP/mileage upgrade standby list is for upgrades to A or C booking classes using eVIPs or mileage awards.

The former (X/R) upgrades are much easier to process because no reticketing is needed. The latter (A/C) upgrades require reticketing and an incredible amount of typing into Sabre. Most domestic airport agents will not even consider processing eVIP/mileage upgrades once a flight is within an hour or so of boarding, just because too much setup work is involved to make it happen. Overseas (European, Asian, South American station) agents might be more willing, as the ONLY way to upgrade their flights is using eVIPs/mileage+copay or corporate travel upgrade certs that similarly require reissue.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:43 pm

This changed in 2008. I don't know how the two integrate, say, for example plats awaiting sticker upgrades and plats with mileage/SWU upgrades. Both would be UPG2 on the PALL list.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Thats very good for Gold status. Congrats!

Has anyone had problems checking in via a blackberry browser? Why was my name not on an upgrade list despite checking in 24 hours in advance and confirming the request at the kiosk

I finally was upgraded but had to wait till the plane was at least half boarded.
Don't have any experiece with a Blackberry so not sure whats up there. But if you received an e-mail with the upgrade confirmation then it would have appears to have worked. Did you ask the agent why you had recieved and upgrade confirmation but were not shown as upgraded?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.