Operated by Qantas

Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Operated by Qantas

I´m flying JFK-LAX and then LAX-SYD this segment it says on the website that is operated by Qantas, will i get the 100% of the miles or just 30% since i´m flying in discount coach fare. How do i know exactly what fare type it is the segment operated by Qantas??
Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tomsap
I´m flying JFK-LAX and then LAX-SYD this segment it says on the website that is operated by Qantas, will i get the 100% of the miles or just 30% since i´m flying in discount coach fare. How do i know exactly what fare type it is the segment operated by Qantas??
What is the flight number on your ticket? If it's an AA codeshare, then 100%.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
hi tomsap - welcome to FT!

If the LAX-SYD segment has an AA flight number (ie you are on the AA codeshare) you will get 100% miles as if it were an AA flight. If it is ticketed with a Qantas flight number, the rules for Qantas mileage earning apply. You should be able to see on your itinerary or e-ticket receipt exactly which fare bucket your ticket is in (K, V, N etc)
Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

LAX-SYD fligth number 7364
SYD-LAX flight number 7318

But how do i know exactly how many miles i get, because in the miles box it says N/A
Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev

But how do i know exactly how many miles i get, because in the miles box it says N/A
Does it say American Airlines operated by Qantas? Or does it say Qantas?
If the former, you get 100%, if the latter you will earned based on Qantas' partner earnings

I suspect it is marketed by AA (therefore, earning 100% miles):
http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/codes...lightrange.jsp

EDITED TO ADD:
http://gc.kls2.com/

The Great Circle Mapper comes fairly close to AA's calculations for distances/miles earned

Last edited by miamigrad; Jan 30, 2010 at 3:57 pm
Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.7M and counting slowly
7488 miles in each direction.

**(plus any status bonuses, if you have it)

Last edited by SJUflyer; Jan 30, 2010 at 3:54 pm Reason: Added status bonus
Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:56 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC

Welcome to FlyerTalk, tomsap! When you see AA### - operated by YYY, that means that you are on a codeshare flight marketed by AA but operated by another airline. In all such cases, you receive miles and points just as if you were flying on an AA marketed & operated flight.

In your specific case, AA7364 is QF12 and AA7318 is QF411. You can look up the mileage here (sometimes off by a mile or two): Great Circle Mapper [Edited to add: miamigrad just beat me to it!]

For full information about AA Mileage and Points, please see our FAQ entry and wiki page:

How are miles and points calculated?

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...oints_%28AA%29
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by britenbsas
hi tomsap - welcome to FT!

If the LAX-SYD segment has an AA flight number (ie you are on the AA codeshare) you will get 100% miles as if it were an AA flight. If it is ticketed with a Qantas flight number, the rules for Qantas mileage earning apply. You should be able to see on your itinerary or e-ticket receipt exactly which fare bucket your ticket is in (K, V, N etc)
britenbsas is indeed correct as I learnt to my detriment last year. I fly this route a lot and normally book through AA.com. last year I happened to notice that Qantas.com was offering 3 or 4 hundred dollars cheaper for exactly the same flights so I booked through Qantas.com. It was not obvious to me what the "fare bucket" was and to cut a story short I ended up getting only 50% of the mileage credit. By the time you get the receipt for the eticket it is to late. So the lesson is that if you cannot determine the Fare bucket on on the web site it is worth a phone call to find out. Buying the AA codeshare is in most cases sufficient to get complete mileage credit. Some flights booked through AA.com do contain a warning about discounted points or mileage but I have never seen this on LAX SYD
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP

Those are the AA codeshare numbers (QF 108/107). At least in my experience, the box on aa.com on codeshares is N/A although you get 100 EQMs and RDM miles.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
In answer to the OP question:

"But how do i know exactly how many miles i get, because in the miles box it says N/A"

newyorkgeorge said:

"Those are the AA codeshare numbers (QF 108/107). At least in my experience, the box on aa.com on codeshares is N/A although you get 100 EQMs and RDM miles."

I think what he is referring to is that on AA.com they give the actual mileage credited by AA for each leg of a trip on AA metal. If the leg is a code share they put N/A because AA does not determine how many miles the leg is credited for. In other words the length of the segment. To get that you would have to go to QANTAS.COM and get the mileage which from memory LAX SYD is around 7,400. What QANTAS says is the mileage is actly what you will get from AA not the great circle mapper mileage. That is why DSTAN in his post above notes that you might get a few miles different from what a great circle mapper site might tell you. The differnce has always been small in my experience.

You are correct about the EQM. In my experience I have always got 100% EQM credit (not EQP) booked on any bucket economy and ticketed on the AA code share (as I noted above).

Last edited by nonesuch flyer; Jan 30, 2010 at 4:41 pm
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:18 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Those are the AA codeshare numbers (QF 108/107). At least in my experience, the box on aa.com on codeshares is N/A although you get 100 EQMs and RDM miles.
Actually, I posted the correct QF flights earlier. (QF108 is AA7366; QF107 is AA7365). Also, contrary to the OP, AA7318 is QF411, which is SYD-MEL, not SYD-LAX, so there's a typo somewhere.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
QF tightens the screws

It's worth adding that QF now charges $160 for an exit row seat, regardless of OW status. And carry-ons are weight-limited to 7kg, more often checked inbound than out from LAX. Flying to Oz is not as much fun as it used to be.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

There are multiple ways to find out a close number to what AA will give you.
Google for Great Circle Mapper, or go to http://www.gcmap.com
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by mvoight
There are multiple ways to find out a close number to what AA will give you.
Google for Great Circle Mapper, or go to http://www.gcmap.com
Yes, as mentioned already in posts #5, #7 and #10
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KtownTraveler
It's worth adding that QF now charges $160 for an exit row seat, regardless of OW status. And carry-ons are weight-limited to 7kg, more often checked inbound than out from LAX. Flying to Oz is not as much fun as it used to be.
WW..!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.