Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do AA's RDU operations handle snow?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
How do AA's RDU operations handle snow?

Three to six inches forecasted Saturday for the region with some ice mixed in. Never tried to fly out of RDU in a bonafide snowstorm before. How does AA react to snow both in terms of preventative cancellations and performance during a storm like this?

I'm booked on the 10:25 to ORD Saturday morning (MD-80 which originates in ORD that morning).
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
In my experience, AA will cancel flights from hubs to prevent aircraft from being tied up in a station. The EXP desk is your best friend, I'd consider calling closer to the time if the weather looks to be an issue and see what availability there is for earlier flights that may have aircraft RON (remain overnight).
Old Jan 28, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Silver, HH Silver
SNOWpocalyse

RDU does *not* handle snow well. 3-6 inches is a a less-than-yearly occurrence.

JetBlue has already cancelled ALL RDU flights on Saturday:
http://www.wchl1360.com/details.html?id=13304

Now, we kind of s&ck at weather forecasting around here, so it's possible that we'll just get some rain. But my advice is to either bail out Friday afternoon or expect to be in RDU until Sunday.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:54 pm

If you have nothing better to do, you can watch the RDU flight status here.

Agree with RDUWanderer, forecasting is a joke around here. Just today, the forecast first called for ice, then it called for 11 inches of snow, and now it's calling for 4 inches of snow. So who knows. Ice would be a major for any sort of scheduled service though.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
The Triangle Area does not "handle" snow at all. Seriously - school has been canceled due to frost in the past. The Airport is a bit better due to marginally more equipment, but the best prediction is a mess. For major storms, (and for RDU 6" of snow is a major storm) - inbound flights are usually canceled the day before so that equipment is not stuck at the station. Assuming the airport is open, your biggest problem could actually be how to get to the airport.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's the south. They hide, quivering under the desk, until it melts...

Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
In my experience, AA will cancel flights from hubs to prevent aircraft from being tied up in a station. The EXP desk is your best friend, I'd consider calling closer to the time if the weather looks to be an issue and see what availability there is for earlier flights that may have aircraft RON (remain overnight).
Sounds like a good plan. The 850 a.m. to ORD is an RON 738 that currently has 120+ seats available so assuming that gets in tonight (which is before the storm), that should be a decent bet.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:03 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Originally Posted by chicagorich
It's the south. They hide, quivering under the desk, until it melts....
It's the RELIGIOUS approach: G*d put it there, G*d will remove it.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

They canceled the entire RDU schedule until noon tomorrow. At least some of the inbounds from DFW/ORD that are typically RON are actually returning empty tonight.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, AA EXP
It is already snowing at RDU. Most, if not all flights arriving after 9-10pm tonight and through mid day tomorrow have already been cancelled. RDU is expected to get 6-10 inches of the white stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.