FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Going for a cart ride at ORD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1043750-going-cart-ride-ord.html)

tom911 Jan 25, 2010 4:06 am

Going for a cart ride at ORD

Last night puppysara and I were in the Flagship Lounge at ORD waiting for our Dublin flight. About an hour before departure an announcement was made for all Dublin passengers to report to the front counter. I recall when they made a similar announcement last year it was to cancel a FRA flight, so was not expecting good news. About 6 of us reported to the counter.

I was surprised. As the DUB flight was going from H15, someone at AA had arranged a cart to transport all of us over there, and told us an announcement would be made in a few minutes when it was ready to depart. Sure enough, the cart arrives, we board, and off we go to H15. I found it interesting all the folks that did not hear the cart approaching, even though it has a distinctive beep announcing its approach. Driver had to carefully maneuver around folks that didn't want to get out of the way and did a pretty good job at that.

Tom in a cool Dublin, Ireland (33F/1C on arrival)

http://tom911.smugmug.com/Airlines-I...79_Pdb3o-S.jpg

vail Jan 25, 2010 8:04 pm

[QUOTE=tom911;13250403]Last night puppysara and I were in the Flagship Lounge at ORD waiting for our Dublin flight. About an hour before departure an announcement was made for all Dublin passengers to report to the front counter. I recall when they made a similar announcement last year it was to cancel a FRA flight, so was not expecting good news. About 6 of us reported to the counter.

I was surprised. As the DUB flight was going from H15, someone at AA had arranged a cart to transport all of us over there, and told us an announcement would be made in a few minutes when it was ready to depart. Sure enough, the cart arrives, we board, and off we go to H15. I found it interesting all the folks that did not hear the cart approaching, even though it has a distinctive beep announcing its approach. Driver had to carefully maneuver around folks that didn't want to get out of the way and did a pretty good job at that.

<image redacted>

Some people just will not let you play through?

JDiver Jan 25, 2010 8:30 pm

Tom, make sure you freeze-proof your systems with antifreeze. I believe in Ireland they call it "uisce beatha" and they say there are some nice 132, 16 and 21 year old single malts. (Enough of it and you may need yet another cart...)

I'm pretty good at hearing the carts come, but some places - notably ORD - it can be such a noisy ambient you can't really hear 'em. "Excuse the cart!" indeed...

freeupgrade Jan 25, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi Tom,

Have a wonderful time in Ireland.

NYC_DFW_LAX Jan 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 13250403)
I found it interesting all the folks that did not hear the cart approaching, even though it has a distinctive beep announcing its approach. Driver had to carefully maneuver around folks that didn't want to get out of the way and did a pretty good job at that.

I've caught myself ignoring the obvious beeping of those carts before. Airports are full of constant, repetitive, irritating noises, so I think the options are either to learn to tune most of it out or to go insane.

I also always try to position myself in view of the boarding line because I can't trust myself not to zone out when there is a boarding call.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Jan 25, 2010 10:35 pm

Yeah. I'm guilty myself of having not paid attention while carts have been beeping behind me. Airports really are so filled with commotion and sounds that you can't always react to all the sounds you hear. I do, however, quickly get out of the way when I discover that I'm responsible for holding up a FlyerTalker who needs to get to Dublin. :D

Robt760 Jan 26, 2010 1:59 am

Oh man...you "guys" are doing DUB runs? I missed out, hopefully they were good fares. PuppySara and Tom are good people to have on a Mileage Run group.

tom911 Jan 26, 2010 2:35 am

SFO-DUB was $450+ in early December. Think it was under $400 last year.

Not entirely a mileage run in my case, as I can't come to Ireland without spending a few days (family comes from the west of Ireland years back). I have one other trip here this winter. I know a lot of FTers are off to Barcelona and Madrid this year as Frankfurt just never came about with low fares.

Did have an unusual start to this trip when my first segment, SFO-LAX, had too much fuel on board, and they had to call a truck out to remove some. We took a 55 minute delay, but still made my LAX-ORD connection with time to spare. Fortunately, no weather issues to contend with, as those of us in the Bay Area know that's been a challenge the last two weeks. I've taken 60-90 min delays on two different flights coming in from the east coast due to metering into SFO.

AAerSTL Jan 26, 2010 6:43 am

At the AC in MEX in July, upon checking in I was offered a cart ride to the gate. At first didn't think it was necessary, but the AAngel said it was quite a walk, so I agreed. It was a nice touch and gave me more time to relax before the flight. Premium services allowed me, my Dad and the other gentleman (we were all in J) to board before everyone else.

planecrashlaw Jan 26, 2010 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Robt760 (Post 13257751)
Oh man...you "guys" are doing DUB runs? I missed out, hopefully they were good fares. PuppySara and Tom are good people to have on a Mileage Run group.

+1. Have had some adventures with them on several MRs. The lack of good MR fares to Europe, plus my continuing lack of employment, is keeping me home. And to think I would ever miss FRA in January.

Has a nice meet/greet getting off my ORD-DFW on my way to NRT on a $500 AI, with VIPs, last Spring. Long ride, including a few "cart only" elevator trips, and straight to the AC. Felt like a CK for a few moments.

Robt760 Jan 26, 2010 10:28 am

Forgot to mention...I had a cart ride last year. This one wasn't from AA Premium Services, it was at DFW from ???. They actually drive the carts into an elevator that takes you up across a bridge between two terminals, crossed over, then down an elevator on the other side (D->B->A). I think the guy got me to my connecting gate in about five minutes. Felt awkward at first having to be "assisted", but they were about to close the door to my BNA flight, and I made it and didn't loose my UPG F seat. Definitely worth a $5 tip.

pauleeepaul Jan 26, 2010 11:28 am

I was in the southwest of Ireland late last year and learned a new weather condition- "freezing fog". About as pleasant as it sounds. All of northern Europe has had a miserable winter so far.

execplatscum Jan 26, 2010 11:28 am

Last night puppysara and I were in the Flagship Lounge at ORD waiting for our Dublin flight. About an hour before departure an announcement was made for all Dublin passengers to report to the front counter. I recall when they made a similar announcement last year it was to cancel a FRA flight, so was not expecting good news. About 6 of us reported to the counter.

I was surprised. As the DUB flight was going from H15, someone at AA had arranged a cart to transport all of us over there, and told us an announcement would be made in a few minutes when it was ready to depart. Sure enough, the cart arrives, we board, and off we go to H15.

Too funny..I was in the flagship lounge Sun night waiting to head to FRA..and heard that announcement I thought for sure they were canceling the Dublin flight and was surprised to hear them as I was walking out saying "its a long walk so we are going to have a cart.".. Nice kind of meeting you almost...

brp Jan 26, 2010 11:33 am

We got offered a ride about 3 weeks ago for ORD-LHR (rescheduled from our LAX-LHR). The gate was far away from the FL. We mentioned that we preferred to walk. The very nice FL agent kind of had the "why would anyone walk when they could take a cart" look. But it is the midwest :D

Cheers.

tom911 Jan 26, 2010 11:33 am

Both of us had FT tags on our bags. We spent most of the time in the back corner of what used to be the smoking room and is now the cell free zone, so unless you popped into there you would never have seen us. I had a red rugby shirt on.