Wiki Posts
Search

AA does good: Miles for Haiti Donations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dstan
Absolutely - I tried to be pretty careful in the way I phrased that edit - there has been no official AA statement on the press exemption, only the statements of the relief workers in the video and by iReporter comments.
Would it logically make any sense for AA to limit relief equipment and not limit journalism equipment? What would be in it for AA? I don't believe it. AA would take whatever it had room for, and AA has been flying relieve flights to Haiti, even before many others did it. In fact, as previously noted, AA did this BEFORE the airport was closed to commercial flights.
AA has done far more for the relief effort than simply give miles for donations.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:13 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by mvoight
Would it logically make any sense for AA to limit relief equipment and not limit journalism equipment? What would be in it for AA? I don't believe it. AA would take whatever it had room for, and AA has been flying relieve flights to Haiti, even before many others did it. In fact, as previously noted, AA did this BEFORE the airport was closed to commercial flights.
AA has done far more for the relief effort than simply give miles for donations.
I agree on all counts and do not understand it either.

There is a CNN video posted here in which an aviation expert explains the weight/fuel issue, the iReporter raises the press exclusion, and an AA spokesperson responds, but, frankly, sidesteps the question, saying that most press carry-on their cameras anyways:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes....bag.rules.cnn

Unfortunately, the video ends before the iReporter has a chance to press the AA spokesperson on the question (no pun intended).

To SocietyFlyGirl's previous proposal that flights to SDQ be increased, the spokesperson also says that they have substituted larger aircraft, and FlightAware indicates that AA1711 MIA-SDQ did, indeed, upgauge from a 752 to a 763 on Jan 15. AA423 and AA783 have remained 752s. AA1901 has remained a 763. JFK-SDQ (763) and SJU-SDQ (AT7 and 738) flights also remain unchanged.

Last edited by dstan; Jan 21, 2010 at 6:22 pm
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
They must not be as swamped with donations anymore...I just made the donation and got an e-mail receipt within 10 minutes.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ehallison
They must not be as swamped with donations anymore...I just made the donation and got an e-mail receipt within 10 minutes.
Glad you made a donation, especially as other things will begin to take up the media's attention, it's not surprising that donations will fall while the need will still remain. AA will give miles for donations through the end of February ^ and for those of you who've already donated to Red Cross but would like to donate more, I suggest Jdiver's recommendation of Doctors without Borders.

I agree on all counts and do not understand it either.

There is a CNN video posted here in which an aviation expert explains the weight/fuel issue, the iReporter raises the press exclusion, and an AA spokesperson responds, but, frankly, sidesteps the question, saying that most press carry-on their cameras anyways:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes....bag.rules.cnn

Unfortunately, the video ends before the iReporter has a chance to press the AA spokesperson on the question (no pun intended).

To SocietyFlyGirl's previous proposal that flights to SDQ be increased, the spokesperson also says that they have substituted larger aircraft, and FlightAware indicates that AA1711 MIA-SDQ did, indeed, upgauge from a 752 to a 763 on Jan 15. AA423 and AA783 have remained 752s. AA1901 has remained a 763. JFK-SDQ (763) and SJU-SDQ (AT7 and 738) flights also remain unchanged.

Two points on your reasonable post, Dstan. It was from your posts, back up with links and video including the AA spokesperson's CONFIRMATION of the restriction, that I drew my conclusion that AA was restricting luggage on the planes -- so to those who've responded to my rant, well, I'm glad I gave all of you AA defenders something to vent your energies on (indeed for some maybe we might say "rant" about ). I will again state that I wasn't only criticizing the restriction but also AA PR's handling of it.....look can't we all agree that UA appears* to have done a lot less than AA but it's getting only praise because it handled its PR a lot better??

As to my suggestion for bigger planes and more flights to SDQ, thank you for wording it in a nicer fashion, Dstan, AND doing all that research on it.

*I'm categorically stating "appears" because some UA defender will probably come and post with ennumerated items that UA has done in excess of AA.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:06 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
Glad you made a donation, especially as other things will begin to take up the media's attention, it's not surprising that donations will fall while the need will still remain. AA will give miles for donations through the end of February ^ and for those of you who've already donated to Red Cross but would like to donate more, I suggest Jdiver's recommendation of Doctors without Borders.

Two points on your reasonable post, Dstan. It was from your posts, back up with links and video including the AA spokesperson's CONFIRMATION of the restriction, that I drew my conclusion that AA was restricting luggage on the planes -- so to those who've responded to my rant, well, I'm glad I gave all of you AA defenders something to vent your energies on (indeed for some maybe we might say "rant" about ). I will again state that I wasn't only criticizing the restriction but also AA PR's handling of it.....look can't we all agree that UA appears* to have done a lot less than AA but it's getting only praise because it handled its PR a lot better??

As to my suggestion for bigger planes and more flights to SDQ, thank you for wording it in a nicer fashion, Dstan, AND doing all that research on it.

*I'm categorically stating "appears" because some UA defender will probably come and post with ennumerated items that UA has done in excess of AA.
So no admission that your self defined rant was unfounded?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNL
So no admission that your self defined rant was unfounded?
Ummm, no, HNL, since the base for my rant have not been disproven:

1) Restrictions on luggage for emergency workers / relief workers

2) Bad press for AA

Also, I've give AA credit for upgauging a flight to SDQ but if I understand Dstan correctly, the majority of flights have not been upgauged and more flights haven't been scheduled. Also, Dstan appears to have confirmed that the restriction on luggage was, as I thought, prior to the Earthquake. Dstan, please let me know if I've interpreted any of your research incorrectly.

Ultimately, I was UIE (under the influence of emotions) yesterday after watching some very disturbing updates on Haiti when I posted my rant and while I might be able to post it more diplomatically today, I still believe it holds true.

As another criticism of my rant was about AA flying relief flights into Haiti pre-restrictions at airport -- I'm well aware of those flights -- indeed I think my first post starting this very thread mentioned them.

Last edited by SocietyFlyGirl; Jan 21, 2010 at 8:28 pm
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold

2) Bad press for AA

Also, I've give AA credit for upgauging a flight to SDQ but if I understand Dstan correctly, the majority of flights have not been upgauged and more flights haven't been scheduled. Also, Dstan appears to have confirmed that the restriction on luggage was, as I thought, prior to the Earthquake. Dstan, please let me know if I've interpreted any of your research incorrectly.

Ultimately, I was UIE (under the influence of emotions) yesterday after watching some very disturbing updates on Haiti when I posted my rant and while I might be able to post it more diplomatically today, I still believe it holds true.

As another criticism of my rant was about AA flying relief flights into Haiti pre-restrictions at airport -- I'm well aware of those flights -- indeed I think my first post starting this very thread mentioned them.
You mentioned the fact that AA posted huge losses in your original rant but then you go on to state that AA should drop everything and offer aid, business and revenue be damned. Seems a bit contradictory. AA is still a business who's primary goal is to turn a profit and thus return stockholders' equity. AA is not a relief agency nor a charity - and as you pointed out, a business that hasn't been operated profitably in quite a while.

I agree with HNL in that I think your criticism is unfounded and misplaced.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:27 am

2) Bad press for AA

You have interpreted it correctly, however, my thinking since this iReport first appeared has been that there was no way around the luggage restriction, whether before or after the quake, because there is a finite amount of space and weight allowance on the aircraft and nothing can change that. That was the explanation of the aviation expert that appeared in the CNN video.

I also think it's not a simple thing to schedule more or larger aircraft, given that capacity is so tight these days. It would be great if AA could do more, but I'm personally pretty impressed with their response, esp as described in the press release provided by HNL.

What I am mainly concerned about is if there really is an exclusion to the luggage limit for the press, and if so, why? Again, I have not heard AA either confirm or deny that press exclusion, although the sidestep in the CNN interview does give one pause. Obviously if there is an exception made for the press, then the finite space/weight rationale goes out the window.

(And yes, thank you for starting this thread. Baggage issues aside, hopefully it has encouraged our fellow FlyerTalkers to help out in any way they can. ^)
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

AAdvantage members donate 835K+ to Haiti

From the Airline Biz Blog at Dallas Morning News:

American Airlines said Friday more than 7,800 of its AAdvantage frequent-flier members had donated over $835,000 to the American Red Cross for Haiti so far. The airline had offered 250 bonus miles for at least $50 donation or 500 miles for $100 or more.

American also said it and American Eagle have flown 12 relief missions to transport "medical personnel and relief workers and humanitarian supplies, including bottled water, food, medicine and other non-perishable goods."
Old Jan 23, 2010, 3:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Does donating by credit card to either the Red Cross or Drs w/o Borders get treated like a cash advance or a purchase.

The miles won't affect the amount of my donation, but I won't pass them up either. Unless it's somehow treated like a cash advance. It isn't worth the hassle of dealing with interest charges on my credit card.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 23, 2010, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
What I am mainly concerned about is if there really is an exclusion to the luggage limit for the press, and if so, why? Again, I have not heard AA either confirm or deny that press exclusion,
What would be the purpose of AA not having baggage limits for the press, and deny it for anyone else?
That's not even logical. After all of the efforts of AA in Haiti, and elsewhere, I find this to be a bit of nonsense.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
Does donating by credit card to either the Red Cross or Drs w/o Borders get treated like a cash advance or a purchase.

The miles won't affect the amount of my donation, but I won't pass them up either. Unless it's somehow treated like a cash advance. It isn't worth the hassle of dealing with interest charges on my credit card.

Thanks in advance!
Standard credit purchase, not a cash advance.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2010, 6:23 pm

Just in case anyone subscribed to this thread has not seen it already, two FT members have generously offered some eVIPs / SWUs for those making donations:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-donation.html
Old Jan 28, 2010, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
AA Does The Right Thing

Former UW football player Jake Wood formed a group of medical personnel and security experts to deliver medical supplies and care in Haiti.

They originally funded the project themselves and later solicited donations. Although they were initially charged excess baggage fees, AA has since refunded them.

Here is a link to the notification from AA, and info about TEAM RUBICON.
January 20, 2010

Dear Mr. Wood:

We have received word of the excess baggage charges that were applied to your trip to Santo Domingo. We very much appreciate the work that you and your team are doing for the people of Haiti.

Clearly there are times when exceptions to our baggage policies should be made, and this is quite obviously one of those times. We have refunded the baggage charge that you paid.
http://blog.teamrubiconhaiti.org/201...team.html#more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.