AC in DFW Terminal D: Who else drinks Strongbow cider?

Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by bmpeers
sorry aamilesslave

i should clarify - i meant in the UK
but agree that the US does have some bizarre drinking rules sometimes.
I live in KY and regularly party to the early hours. I was in San Jose last year and was shocked to find everything closing at 1am!
Well, we still leave SOME things to the states to decide.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
Originally Posted by stbeeman
Big fan of Strongbow! I'll be looking it up next time I'm in DFW - I assume we're talking about the draught cans rather than real draft cider...
Actually, it is bottled. I have seen the imperial pint cans in some stores, but I do not think that they use the widget that you find in Murphy's, Guinness, Boddingtons, and a few others. Still, any kind of cider is a welcome change of pace from the usual fare.

From the response so far it seems that not many people know about the availability of Strongbow in the AC in D. Whenever I get a chance I make a point to order one (or two ), just to make the staff think that they have to restock and let them know there are some folks who do drink this weird stuff.

Incidentally, traveling through LHR a few days ago and visiting the AC/FL in T3 as well as the Galleries First in T5 and T3, I was surprised by the poor beer selection. The AC used to have Guinness, but no longer.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
Really don't like the taste of cider, but remember it being on tap when I went to university in the UK for a year - had some great times with Strongbow - so I get it anyways just for a few moments of being transported back in time.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Thanks, OP, for the hedzup! ^

I'm in the same "boat" as others--going thru the DFW D A/C and not realizing Strongbow was on offer. Will be going thru there a couple of times in the near future and now know .
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1.8MM
I was so close! In terminal C on Wednesday and would have trekked over to D had I known... Well, on the list for next trip to DFW.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:16 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NotDuncan
Black and Tan: Guinness/Bass
A bartender in Vegas told me that the Guinness distributor there has told them that if someone orders a Black and Tan it must be made with Smithwick's or else they have to inform the customer it's not a 'true' Black and Tan. I had always heard it as Guiness and Bass before too with Harp being substituted for Bass on occassion.

I don't recall seeing the StrongBow when I've been in the D AC before, but I know my wife would enjoy it next time she's there!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
Originally Posted by Beckles
I don't recall seeing the StrongBow when I've been in the D AC before, ...
That's the thing: They don't display the bottle the way they do for the other drinks. They just keep it in the cooler. My keen eagle eye just happened to spot it one day, and it's been a happy life in D ever since. We'll see whether y'all have drunk the cooler empty when we stop by D next Friday on the way to FRA.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
sorry aamilesslave

I live in KY and regularly party to the early hours. I was in San Jose last year and was shocked to find everything closing at 1am!
Although I don't hang out in them, I thought most closed at 2AM, as that is how late the licenses are valid.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:57 pm

Finally remembered to try this. I'm a fan now. It's mild enough to drink first thing in the morning.

Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA platinum, BA, SPG gold, Delta, US Airways
Nice photo!! I'll try some next time I'm at DFW.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
sorry aamilesslave

When you imbibe in the AC in DFW remember that you are subject to arrest if you drink more than three gulps of beer standing up. (Really, I am not kidding). Luckily it is one of those stupid Texas laws that is not enforced.

Also, AFAIK, Strongbow cider is also available in the FL in ORD
Old Jan 27, 2010, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP / 2MM, BAEC GGL, CCR, Marriott AMB
IMO they do not serve the Strongbow chilled enough. Being a Brit, this type of Cider should be served ice cold - unless you're drinking the 'real' Scrumpy!

In the AC @ TD they used to have Dos Equis on draught, which was always my choice. Sadly it's back to Bud Light
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aSWUplz
IMO they do not serve the Strongbow chilled enough.
Being the civilized type, I always ask for a glass when they hand me the bottle of Strongbow. And more often than not, it's one of those frosty ones. That deducts another degree or two.

Originally Posted by aSWUplz
... unless you're drinking the 'real' Scrumpy.
Haven't had a Scrumpy Jack since one of my last times through LGW where one of those little "pubs" in the transit area sold it off the tap. Incidentally, once I was able to bump off a flight back to the US for $500 and an upgrade at LGW. AA put me up in one of the airport hotels. While in the locker room of the health club I struck up a conversation with one of the local lads who used the facility for their own workouts, and I was given directions to one of England's oldest pubs, maybe a 10-minute walk away from the hotel. Can't remember the name, but it struck me as great way to spend one's layover.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Plt, HH Silver, Marriott Silver
Thanks for letting me know about this! I love cider in all of its forms, and can't find it nearly often enough. I will make sure to get one next time I am in D as well!^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.