Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Rumor- AA Will No Longer Provide Blankets and Pillows on International Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor- AA Will No Longer Provide Blankets and Pillows on International Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Or more to the point, what prevents them from using a heavy or long coat from accomplishing the same kind of "hiding"?
On the BA forum, there was a report of a flight during which, about one hour out, the flight crew made a big deal about taking blankets and pillows, stowing stuff and making sure pax had nothing on their laps. 40 minutes out the crew did the usual hand out of coats in F and J, which the pax of course held on their laps.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zipadee
I certainly hope they don't try and mandate no lav visits in the last hour of a flight. Most of my flights are right at an hour or barely over an hour, maybe 90 minutes. Forget drinking a couple of mimoas or Bloody marys in F. My teeny tiny bladder couldn't handle it!
Problem solved.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:20 am

Programs: AA PLT(1.8 MM); HH-GLD
If these alledged restrictions are true- they are a typical bureaucratic unthoughtout reactions which do not address their security breach. Maybe they should add: arms must be on armrest at all times, no crossing legs or hands-- better yet-handcuff all passengers during the flight! But then again-why should reason prevail. IMHO
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
I'm still waiting to see how all this works out. But if these kind of restrictions become permanent, it appears to be another step toward what many of us have suspected is the TSA's long-term goal: everyone flies naked and sedated.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For those of you questioning allegations and statements made by trusted flyers, such as no lavs, pillows, blankets, personal items, no GoGo / WiFi or any kind of flight positioning information (including announcements) at any time in flight, etc. the last hour of flights on international US-bound flights, all those trusted flyers have to say is "TSA SD 1544-09-06" is what you want to become familiar with.

But nowhere reliable I have heard has AA chosen to remove blankets and pillows from international flights, and I am curious what constitutes a "senior pilot" - there are Captains and First Officer, prominently discernible by epaulets with either four or three bars, respectively.

Oh, I hear they will build in relief tubes for each Business and First seat position on the new 787...

This is exactly the climate that nourishes wild speculation and rumors; it's bad enough without already without adding fuel to the flames, IMO. videomaker, it certainly feels like that; maybe we will be asking if they can use our own flex-cuffs, and bring more comfy ones than the cheap ones they supply.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 27, 2009 at 9:02 am Reason: refine
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by videomaker
I'm still waiting to see how all this works out. But if these kind of restrictions become permanent, it appears to be another step toward what many of us have suspected is the TSA's long-term goal: everyone flies naked and sedated.
You are directing your anger at the wrong source. The TSA isn't trying to kill us or blow us up. They are trying to PREVENT that from happening.

I'm sure the new, temporary, rules are going to be a joy to enforce. I can't wait to hear the reports from other crewmembers regarding those people who refuse to listen.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by AAFA
You are directing your anger at the wrong source.
I don't think so.

The TSA isn't trying to kill us or blow us up. They are trying to PREVENT that from happening.
If not letting pax go to the restroom or have anything in their laps for the last hour of the flight, and ditching pillows and blankets is better "security," there's something very wrong here.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
You are directing your anger at the wrong source. The TSA isn't trying to kill us or blow us up. They are trying to PREVENT that from happening.

I'm sure the new, temporary, rules are going to be a joy to enforce. I can't wait to hear the reports from other crewmembers regarding those people who refuse to listen.
I don't want to take this into OMNI or TS/S territory, but the TSA, as usual, is being reactive. What sense do the proposed new restrictions make? How is a more draconian no-pee rule going to protect us? Of course people are going to rebel at stupid rules.

Most of us have no problems with REAL security.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:35 am

Programs: Grounded
I hope the airlines band together and put up some resistance to nonsensical rules. It's pretty easy to punch logical holes in this latest set. Letting the TSA run the show for them is only going to doom the industry even more.

Next thing you know they're going to require us to do the hanky panky at security.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by vasantn
I don't want to take this into OMNI or TS/S territory, but the TSA, as usual, is being reactive. What sense do the proposed new restrictions make? How is a more draconian no-pee rule going to protect us? Of course people are going to rebel at stupid rules.

+1.

Another common thread in these situations, from 9/11 to this one, is "security officials" (be it the FBI, embassy and others) knew about these folks beforehand. And they did nothing, while making grandpa throw away his toothpaste because it's over three ounces.

They made us take off our shoes after the Richard Reid incident. If we follow that through to its "logical" conclusion (in TSA logic), will everyone now have to take off their underwear to get through the checkpoint?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by hillrider
+1.

And the last thing I want to be without is the moving map -- I certainly want to know if the plane is being flown somewhere where it shouldn't be. The lesson of 9/11 (and confirmed in incident as well) is that passengers aware of what's going on are the best resource to thwart any act of terrorism.
Or sleeping/arguing cockpit crews...
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by vasantn

I agree about the "no pee" thing. I don't beleve I have read any accounts of the Nigerian guy getting tackled by a passenger by lighting something in the lav.

This problem could have been easily resolved by better screening of this passenger. In fact, his father warned the authorities before. The guy was flying from Lagos, long known to have inadequate airport security.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

If the TSA is responsible for new stupid rules, then why are the wrong group to direct the anger at? What is this nonsense about a new lav policy? The latest incident had nothing to do with using the lav. The shoe removal issue is another thing. That guy had a device in his shoes. The latest had it in his underwear... So, to act equally would require the removal of underwear at security..... Now, if we don't do this, then it is logical that passengers should be able to keep their shoes on. No blankets??? Yes, because we know how well the cabin's temperature is controlled (NOT!!)...

The security measures that should have been enforced have nothing to do with whether passengers have blankets, go to the lav, keep their shoes on, etc.... If those in charge of this don't know handle reported issues, such as a father's warnings about his son, then they aren't doing their jobs.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by JDiver
F

Oh, I hear they will build in relief tubes for each Business and First seat position on the new 787...
LOL!
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
...maybe we will be asking if they can use our own flex-cuffs, and bring more comfy ones than the cheap ones they supply.
I hear AA will offer padded ones in F.

I'm also wondering if any of the TSA geniuses realize if they drive the airline industry into the ground, they will all be unemployed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.