Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using miles for travel within Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Using miles for travel within Hawaii

I do not travel much, but will be coming into about 30k miles with AA. I will be traveling to Hawaii next fall and I will be flying between the islands during my vacation there.

From what I see on AA's site, it looks like I could use 5k to get a RT ticket on Hawaiian Airlines.

Is this correct and if so, will I need to book through AA or HA?

Thanks in advance,
NHAnimator (noob)
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by NHAnimator
I do not travel much, but will be coming into about 30k miles with AA. I will be traveling to Hawaii next fall and I will be flying between the islands during my vacation there.

From what I see on AA's site, it looks like I could use 5k to get a RT ticket on Hawaiian Airlines.

Thanks in advance,
NHAnimator (noob)
Miles listed in the charts on AA.com are one way, so it's 10K R/T.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:44 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EXP4ME
Miles listed in the charts on AA.com are one way, so it's 10K R/T.
The mileage is double, as noted. You will book with AA. HA will want to have nothing to do with you (our experience) for changes and such- all will have to be handled through AA. That's reasonable as AA booked the ticket, but the dismissive attitude from several agents was uncalled for

Cheers.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the inter-island flights are now at much more reasonable prices, I would check on those options before using AA miles for the inter-island flights.

You can do inland-hopping more effectively using the discounted pay inter-island tickets.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Happy
With the inter-island flights are now at much more reasonable prices, I would check on those options before using AA miles for the inter-island flights.

You can do inland-hopping more effectively using the discounted pay inter-island tickets.
Agreed, I got HNL - OGG r/t for $50 recently. I'd much rather pay $50 then 10K miles.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: AA 3MM, AA Executive Platinum
[You can do inland-hopping more effectively using the discounted pay inter-island tickets.]

+1. My suggestion would be: don't burn the miles and don't put yourself though the hassle. Fly "Go!" or HA for about $50 each way.

Interisland around here is more like taking the bus than flying. Planes leave every half-hour or so, all day long.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:19 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CTTS
[You can do inland-hopping more effectively using the discounted pay inter-island tickets.]

+1. My suggestion would be: don't burn the miles and don't put yourself though the hassle. Fly "Go!" or HA for about $50 each way.

Interisland around here is more like taking the bus than flying. Planes leave every half-hour or so, all day long.
Don't fly go! They are not known for good customer service or time keeping.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have not seen $50 RT (as stated above), but have seen $100 RT prices. And so yeah, for those prices, paying for the tickets and baggage certainly makes sense.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HNL
Don't fly go! They are not known for good customer service or time keeping.
I have flown go! quite a bit, and have never had a problem. Wish I could say the same for HA.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HH DIAMOND, SOUTHWEST RR, HERTZ
Flew Hawaiian last week on one day notice HNL-LIH (Kaua'i) .... paid $130 p/p round-trip and thought the airline did a nice job.

Definitely not worth 10K miles IMHO.

Last edited by jdburns11; Dec 21, 2009 at 8:20 pm Reason: Add text
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:37 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jdburns11
Flew Hawaiian last week on one day notice HNL-LIH (Kaua'i) .... paid $130 p/p round-trip and thought the airline did a nice job.

Definitely not worth 10K miles IMHO.
Unless one has lots of extra miles that they won't use anyway. Our intra-island flights were only $10 (versus $130) plus some of the large mileage stash. Well worth it to use miles in our case.

Cheers.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:07 am

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have not seen $50 RT (as stated above), but have seen $100 RT prices. And so yeah, for those prices, paying for the tickets and baggage certainly makes sense.
I got a good sale

Still, even if it's more, unless you have tons of miles you can't burn any other way, buying the flights would still be better IMHO.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:34 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by EXP4ME
I got a good sale

Still, even if it's more, unless you have tons of miles you can't burn any other way, buying the flights would still be better IMHO.
Especially because booking the award will require a $20 phone fee per ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.