Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

OJgate: Asking For Orange Juice May Violate Federal Law / AA Investigating FA Helen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OJgate: Asking For Orange Juice May Violate Federal Law / AA Investigating FA Helen

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
The stuff I've read published by The Consumerist tended to be more of the sensationalist variety (much like this article).

I would not consider it to be unbiased or reliable.
Correct. It's very obvious in their writing style and past exploits.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:28 pm

I agree that there has to be something else to this story.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:42 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
The Flight Attendant from Hell. Very scary how these people can mess up your life.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I lament UA's FAs all the time, but apparently the grass may not be greener on the other side.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA 11MM/EXP/Aairpass, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by The_Rockaway_Kid
I agree that there has to be something else to this story.
Maybe, maybe not. Keep in mind that the story was not posted by a party to the fight. The story was posted by an apparently independent witness to the fight. You can find the original here http://www.kossome.com/?q=node/131.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:56 pm

This woman's behavior is completely unacceptable and is a perfect example of what I've been seeing in AA flight attendants for years now. They don't want to be there, make up their own rules that don't reflect the company, and have huge disdain for the people paying their salary... the customers.

-Dave Koss"

This guy either has an axe to grind or desires attention. I've never seen an AA flight attendant behave that way one time, let alone "for years now".
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I dealt with a Dallas based CSR who could have been Helen's nutcase sister=I have not flown AA since.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
OK--after reading the original source and seeing a consultant who supposedly controls so much air travel not knowing the difference betwen an "aisle" and an "isle," among other errors in the post, I'm even more dubious.

Maybe some DYKWIA here? If he controls that much air travel and had such terrible experiences, maybe he should be walking instead of talking.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by chrisratz
This woman's behavior is completely unacceptable and is a perfect example of what I've been seeing in AA flight attendants for years now. They don't want to be there, make up their own rules that don't reflect the company, and have huge disdain for the people paying their salary... the customers.

-Dave Koss"

This guy either has an axe to grind or desires attention. I've never seen an AA flight attendant behave that way one time, let alone "for years now".
+1 ^

This individual writes what appears to me to be a third-rate blog composed of his rants and complaints about almost everything. Couple that with the fact that he also seems to be a fan of the "fake Dave Hill effect" (the real Dave Hill effect can be seen here), and I'd take everything he says with a very large pinch of salt.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
Looking at the comments, there seems to be a couple of people claiming that they have run across Helen. Based on these comments, it seems they noticed similar behavior and rude remarks from her.

From the comments...

The other flight attendant said, "Oh, that's just Helen."
This, ladies and gentlemen, are why unions are bad.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:01 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
As this thread focuses on discussion of an external article rather than AA policies, operations, or first-hand experiences, please continue to follow it in Newsstand.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:06 pm

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Originally Posted by MM983
She gets paid exactly the same as that wonderfully helpful and courteous FA you had on another flight that happens to have the same seniority.

"Helen" never has a perforrmance review, and has no incentive to change.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 8:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Being unionized doesn't prevent the employer from conducting performance reviews nor disciplining employees who won't meet the established performance standards.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 5:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Being unionized doesn't prevent the employer from conducting performance reviews nor disciplining employees who won't meet the established performance standards.
I've never fallen under a union, so this is just a guess on my part..

I would imagine the performance metrics that are being used are exaggerated and are not hard to meet. Furthermore, it is probably more difficult to terminate someone that is under a union. Combine this with someone (probably Helen) who has been around forever.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:52 pm

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
I've never fallen under a union, so this is just a guess on my part..
Oh, OK. You seem well-informed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.