Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage Members In Europe

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAadvantage EXP, UA MilagePlus
AAdvantage Members In Europe

Not sure if this will get any followers but wanted to know how many of us reside in Europe but are AA frequent travelers (GOLD, PLT, EXP)... and maybe a way to share experiences...

Since most of the times the threads here are related FFlyers residing in the US...

Form my side have a list of improvements...

Jorge
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:02 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
I am currently in MAD and I am a Platinum with 96,150 EQMs and still plenty of travel with AA and IB in December. Although I fly a lot to MIA and MEX, I usually do some travel around the US. Will be Ex-Plat for the first time thanks to DEQM promo as I have been Plat and Gold for many years.

Are you Ex-Plat thanks to transatlantic flights? or do you get to use your free upgrades in US Domestic, Caribean, Canada and México flights?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I'm in the Kaiserslautern, Germany area.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:08 am

Two BA full-fare Y longhauls to JNB.
Four TATLs on AA metal.
One 33K MR that had a TATL component, again on AA metal.
A few stray miles on IB that didn't really add to my total because of the low price I paid.

Originally Posted by carlitos
Are you Ex-Plat thanks to tranatlantic flights?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos
I am currently in MAD and I am a Platinum with 96,150 EQMs and still plenty of travel with AA and IB in December. Although I fly a lot to MIA and MEX, I usually do some travel around the US. Will be Ex-Plat for the first time thanks to DEQM promo as I have been Plat and Gold for many years.

Are you Ex-Plat thanks to transatlantic flights? or do you get to use your free upgrades in US Domestic, Caribean, Canada and México flights?
Mostly thanks to TATL flights... do a fair amount of travel in the US LAX, NYC, MIA and the caribbean, Central and South America as well as Mexico for work... usually try to combine one TATL flight to the US with 2 clients visits changing planes in MIA... I try to avoid the rest of the OW airlines if I have to fly in Y since do not get any miles... so usually use OW airlines for awards in J...
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:00 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium
I live in Paris now but used to live in NY until about a year ago. I managed to keep my EXP status because I fly back to the US on a regular basis so most of my status miles have been from transatlantic flights. One of my improvements would be to grant international one world lounge access for PLT & EXP all the time to non-US residents since by their very nature they are flying 'internationally' even when over in the US. There are times when I go to NY for a few days and then fly to the West coast for example, so would be nice to take advantage of the flagship lounge.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:10 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
I am based in MAD as well. I am new to AA and OneWorld having, previously been an elite on CO based out of Houston.

Does anyone know if AA offers a quicker path to elite status for EU residents?

I know that CO does..(you have to hit a certain number of TATL segments)

-Andrew
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:15 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by andrewsheehan
I am based in MAD as well. I am new to AA and OneWorld having, previously been an elite on CO based out of Houston.

I know that CO does..(you have to hit a certain number of TATL segments)

-Andrew
nope, it is the same for everyone but you can go for the gold or platinum challenge. Bear in mind though that you should make it to gold easily with just one round-trip flight since it is over 7k and platinum with 2 round-trips.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...lenge_%28AA%29
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:17 am

ExPlat, based in MAD...

Do a lot of IB but keep miles in AA...

Let me tell you what I hate of been a AA member living in Europe:

AA expects me to use their “local web site” which is by no means similar to the USA web site. If not, I’m unable to pay with a Spain Credit Cards…

So I use the USA web site, cant pay with my Spain Credit Cards, have to go to the airport between 9 and 11 am and pay there…

There are no AA offices in Madrid. Only the airport and only around the time of departure of AA flights…

And then I read that with next years flight MAD-JFK, Spain will become the second best Served by AA European country. Just second to France…

And we don’t even have an office besides the airport, and the web site is a joke (compared to te USA website)…

Sorry, just burst last week because of this. Sent a complained by e-mail and they returned with a

“We will continue to work hard to determine how best to allow our customers with international credit card billing addresses to purchase tickets online. In the meantime, we appreciate your feedback as we strive to make AA.com as convenient and easy to use as possible for our customers”

Cheers
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:19 am

Programs: AA EXP / 2MM, BAEC GGL, CCR, Marriott AMB
I'm an...

EXP based in the UK. Main travel is to the West Coast US and HKG (on BA, QF or CX).
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:32 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
London Calling

London here. Plain AA member after shooting up to EXP fairly fast thanks to my last job which started with a few US J and F trips and then J trips on BA and QF to Australia. It was midway through an Australian trip I went to the lounge before the flight and after scanning my card, I was told to turn left. I was confused. The J lounge was behind her and to the left was a wall. A magic wall with a sliding door into the F lounge! Very Nice!

Only travel to US on holidays now, but still have 500K+ miles to burn with AA that I'm likely to use on BA or QF to Australia (Space available as always!).

As a non-US member, I'd like to see some other benefit of the 500 mile upgrade balance as I have around 50 of them and can't use them on Longhaul flights or US Domestic flight unless I buy full Y.

I'd love to see I-dine in Europe. What an easy way to get miles! And hopefully, in the UK at least, we'll get a decent credit card soon!
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by andrewsheehan

PLT Challenge?
One TATL can do the trick.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I'm a newly-minted EXP who will be living in BCN for six months starting in January. I doubt there are too many AA elites as there is only one flight per day (JFK).
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by dddc

I'd love to see I-dine in Europe.
^^^
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cometintintin
ExPlat, based in MAD...

Let me tell you what I hate of been a AA member living in Europe:

AA expects me to use their “local web site” which is by no means similar to the USA web site. If not, I’m unable to pay with a Spain Credit Cards…

So I use the USA web site, cant pay with my Spain Credit Cards, have to go to the airport between 9 and 11 am and pay there…

Cheers
Well patience is a virtue... deal with this every other week... since find better fares/connections on the US website... Have been told numerous times that it is being updated... and is not only the connections it is also the price usually cheaper... well can also continue but yes this is one of my major complaints... will start to make a list and will try to post it in a consolidated manner...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.