Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

How do you handle Priority Access "gate lice" [EXP / First queue cutters]?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec

You know the Priority Access people who jump the gun and clog up the boarding area during 1st and PLT/EXP boarding? I understand some noob fliers doing it and getting corrected at the gate, but frequent fliers should know better...

I partially blame it on AA for creating those lines which I think do more harm than good, to which I nearly always board through the general boarding since the gate lice aren't plugging it up.

Additionally, I've noticed gate agents rarely enforce Priority access people boarding in PLT/EXP groups.

I've seen other PLTs and EXPs call out Golds who are jumping the gun, but I never have. I think I'm going to start getting more aggressive and start saying, "Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me" and just barge through them as I trip my way to the jet bridge.

Has anyone noticed it getting increasingly worse (maybe more elites lately). Any strategies or do most people take the high road like I have in the past?
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
I guess the first thing I'd do is search for the dozens of other threads that discuss the same thing.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think there are topical medications that can control gate lice.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG
+1 ^

It's nice to hope that AA is monitoring this forum and taking steps to correct the negligence of some of their GAs, but the reality is that some people deliberately jump the line and will continue to do so. Not much for it, I'm afraid...
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:28 pm

I yell "Executive Platinum! Outta My Way!" Then push and shove my way through.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA-GLD; DL-Silver
Just a word of warning (particularly to those at the DFW hub)...

With their several flights to visit the grandkids this fall, my Mom and Dad just reached GLD (*first time*) with the DEQM promo I signed them up for.

They'll roll you over to get in that jetway now they're "priority access" .
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I usually just say, very politiely, "First Class?" (or "Business Class?") When they look sheepish or say no, I then say "excuse me" and slide past them.

It seems to be a particular problem at MIA, and especially on flights to Latin America.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:39 pm

I'm absolutely outraged to read of this terrible behavior. Such people shouldn't even be allowed to fly and should be forced to take a bus.

I'll probably toss and turn all night thinking about how upsetting this must be.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DrPSB
I'm absolutely outraged to read of this terrible behavior. Such people shouldn't even be allowed to fly and should be forced to take a bus.

I'll probably toss and turn all night thinking about how upsetting this must be.
That's a little harsh. I think these people should be allowed to fly so long as there's room in the pressurized part of the cargo hold.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by platboy
I also make sure to run my carry on over their feet, or make it bash their ankles as I pass.

Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EP; Bonvoy Platinum: Hilton Gold
Hmm, I thought gate lice were those without status who pushed up to the front of the line, I didnt realize Golds were considered among that group, too?
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by platboy
I am going to start doing this from now on! LOL
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by Dan_E
Hmm, I thought gate lice were those without status who pushed up to the front of the line, I didnt realize Golds were considered among that group, too?
Anyone who clogs the boarding area well before their group is called is gate lice in my opinion. Priority Access who are standing 5ft away from the gate agent when 1st is boarding is a problem. People who knowingly and intentionally board ahead of their group are beyond lice.

As EXP and back as PLT, I would be standing in the general area, but wouldn't actually start moving towards the immediate boarding area until my group was called or it was evident that the group prior to me had completed their boarding.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by videomaker
I guess the first thing I'd do is search for the dozens of other threads that discuss the same thing.
Actually I did, and I always do search before I start something. In this particular case I searched this forum (titles only) for "gate lice" and it said no threads.

I searched by post and only saw posts that were based on other topics. I started this to talk about the particular breed of boarders called "gate lice" and how other people on this forum handle it.

Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Since have spent much time in MIA, land of extreme gate lice, I just say "excuse me but are you also in F/J" and of course when they give me that dumb look I just say excuse me loudly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.