Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

How do you handle Priority Access "gate lice" [EXP / First queue cutters]?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle Priority Access "gate lice" [EXP / First queue cutters]?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2011, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

The problem is the absurd checked baggage fees which force people to try to get space on board. Somehow the airlines need to figure out how to let people have 1 carryon size bag free and allow it to be either checked or carried on.

Complain about that instead.
Old May 15, 2011, 9:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by lestismore
problem gets worse when AA calls for 1st class and 35 people line up!! it seems that exec plat and other feel it's o.k. to line up!
Three weeks ago that would be an odd sight to be sure. Since the new boarding process began, it's not really news anymore since F and EXP now board together on 2 class domestic flights.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Lice are insects. Herbicides kill plants. Insecticides would be the pun.
Likely the most informative post in this thread. Permethrin would be a good choice.
Old May 15, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by Microwave
Three weeks ago that would be an odd sight to be sure. Since the new boarding process began, it's not really news anymore since F and EXP now board together on 2 class domestic flights.
I don't think F and EXPs get called together on all flights yet. I have have recent flights where only F was called on domestic flights and all the PAs lined up and the GA just waiving them through. Then there are instances where the GAs don't separate PA and non-PA passengers and they are all lined up in the PA lane.
Old May 15, 2011, 11:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I don't think F and EXPs get called together on all flights yet. I have have recent flights where only F was called on domestic flights and all the PAs lined up and the GA just waiving them through. Then there are instances where the GAs don't separate PA and non-PA passengers and they are all lined up in the PA lane.
The new boarding process is official and has been published on aa.com. Whether all GAs follow the process is a different question. My point was that people shouldn't be put off by EXPs lining up with F on domestic 2-class flights since that is now the official, published boarding order.
Old May 15, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Thumper
excuse me but read the profile - aspiring for PLAT

He may be Gold now, but he has a dream...........
Yes, I do dream...although I get close every year with maybe 35-40k BIS miles...just can't get myself out of my cozy apart to do an MR to get the final 10K. With DEQM in my home and main market (ORD-SFO) I'm almost halfway to PLAT with half of the year left..and my busy travel season coming up in the Fall. I may hit that aspiration after all!
Old May 15, 2011, 7:58 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I ama lways in F, so , thankfully I do not have this issue.

Old May 16, 2011, 1:17 am

Wonder how long it will be before EXP start putting their bags in F as they walk by to their seats.
Old May 19, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Likely the most informative post in this thread.
No doubt about it.

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Permethrin would be a good choice.
Again we agree, since permethrin kills parasites and their eggs.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 4:51 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
The problem has gotten worse since airlines started charging for checked luggage, giving non-elite passengers an incentive to carry on. They crowd the gate in order to increase their chances of getting scarce overhead bin space for their carry on bag.

Of all the nuisance travel fees, the checked bag fee irks me the most. (See similar thread in Travel Buzz.) The checked bag fees have an adverse affect on EVERYONE, elites and non-elites alike. Crowded conditions around the departure gate is just one of those adverse effects.

What can be done? Nothing. It's basic human nature to want to save yourself $50 by carrying your bag on the plane and elbowing your way to the front of the line.
What can be done? The fees could be tweaked to change the incentives. For example, allowing one free checked bag but charging for each carry-on would go a long way towards speeding up boarding and deplaning.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by zipadee
However, you can be Gold and Priority Access and in F. I've had ExPs sniff at me because they can't imagine that my jean-clad butt is flying in F and deserves to be boarding in F.
I too have had this problem

Originally Posted by reamworks
Funny you should mention this. I've always been tempted to go up to one of those "we'll embroider anything on a cap" places at the mall and get a black cap that says "United Global Services" on it with the UA logo. Then try boarding first...if the GA stops me, I'll point to the hat!
This really me want to get a terrible cheap T-shirt made with "Executive Platinum" printed on it.

Originally Posted by MrPink
I actually just saw something like this in SFO today after I deplaned from my flight, which I had never seen before. On the boarding LCDs there was a new screen which said something like:

NOW BOARDING:

It had fields for every group, including F, J, EXP, PLT, Priority AAccess, and then it had Groups 1-3.

Very interesting to see if this is being rolled out system-wide, and if it'll do anything.
Good luck with that. At many airports (even some major airports like LAS), they can't even be bothered to roll out the AA displays you're used to now.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 6:48 am

I personally believe it's much more of a cultural phenomena than related to the baggage fees. Looking back over my last 40 years of flying (and commuting in general) both civility and "following the rules" have take a back seat to the me first mentality. Many other countries, have, at least for now, managed to avoid the gate lice infestation..... sadly I suspect its only a matter of time though
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: AA GLD
Originally Posted by Boeing2027
I personally believe it's much more of a cultural phenomena than related to the baggage fees. Looking back over my last 40 years of flying (and commuting in general) both civility and "following the rules" have take a back seat to the me first mentality. Many other countries, have, at least for now, managed to avoid the gate lice infestation..... sadly I suspect its only a matter of time though
Gate lice has been a problem here in POS (particularly at the AA gate) for a few years now

But I think it's a cultural problem though. We're used to pushing and shoving to get up front of a line. Luckily, most of the GA's send them back and let them know that they're not boarding their group yet
Old Sep 12, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold March 2010
Unhappy My Hubby is "Gate Lice"

Oh he is so bad since we reached LifeTime Gold - I'm so embarrased to fly with him! So if you see a tall 6'5" thin silver haired man pushing to get to the front of the line and a cute little blonde acting like (wearing shades so no one will ID her) she doesn't know him that's us!

SD
Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:21 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I usually see that the "gate lice" are leisure travelers who are use to the WN policy of letting folks with children board first.

When I flew on Thanksgiving Day, I had to wade through a bunch of strollers to get to the scanner. Same thing the week before.
BA used to be very good about boarding order, but over the past year or so this has really deteriorated, even at LHR, but also at virtually every out-station. Often there is one cattle call for everyone. Even on four-class 747s there is often only one line, one call. Or, when there is an intent to have different lines, there are no signs or announcements.

About the only thing consistent is that BA tends to pre-board families with children. Flying LHR-LAX on BA in F, when the GA called for "families," half the boarding area made a rush for the gates; middle-aged couples barged over top of everyone, screaming "Family! Family!" OK, technically a married couple is a family, but really.

II've had ExPs sniff at me because they can't imagine that my jean-clad butt is flying in F and deserves to be boarding in F.
Hard to believe anyone still carries this attitude. I usually wear jeans and tennis shoes or even shorts and flip-flops in F.

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Elites from other airlines that can't stand the idea of being a Kettle for a day
I'll admit to paying the fees on other airlines for early boarding, for this reason. I'm also a bit of a louse in such cases, as I try to hang near the gate and board at the very end of the group before mine, if possible just as they call mine.

Originally Posted by DrPSB
Much as I hate to admit it, and this may be a little OT, but it does get me a little bit peeved when I see a family use their 10 year old child as an excuse to preboard.
The people at BA uses the fact that they were a couple as an excuse -- no kids needed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.