About to cross million mile threshold

Old Nov 30, 2009, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
About to cross million mile threshold

Greetings to all AA flyertalk experts. I am about to cross the million mile threshold and am aware of the difference in benefits based on your address. I live in the caribbean but have family in Sweden.

If your address is listed as european they automatically give you 4 system wide upgrades. If you live in the US you get 8 electronic upgrades.

Is there any issue if I change my stated address to my summer address in Sweden so that I get the 4 electronic upgrades when I reach million mile status?

THANKS TO ALL and Happy Holidays!^

Last edited by caribbean sun; Nov 30, 2009 at 7:13 pm
Old Nov 30, 2009, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Search for this topic and you'll find that indeed it can be a problem.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by caribbean sun
Is there any issue if I change my stated address to my family in Sweden so that I get the 4 electronic upgrades when I reach million mile status?

THANKS TO ALL and Happy Holidays!^
Any issue other than fraud?

No, I can't think of an issue other than fraud.

Well, maybe theft of services if you actually use those SWUs.

And the possibility of having your account frozen & cancelled.

But other than the roads, the schools, the aqueducts, etc., what have the Romans have ever done for us?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Here's an answer that's less dire:
Go right ahead and do it. Just don't switch it back to the US any time soon (i.e. keep it in Sweden for a year). Problems avoided.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
They won't do anything to you for switching your address. That happens all the time. There's no "you can't move away from North America if you have 900,000 to 999,999 lifetime miles" rule.

If your move is within a short time of when you cross 1MM, you may get the 500-mile upgrades anyhow.

If you get the eVIPs, I wouldn't "move" back to North America for a while - preferably until after you've used them or, heaven forbid, they expire.

If you get "stickers," you could try calling and asking about this. I wouldn't press too hard, though. That's the point at which you could get unpleasant results. Besides, it's an unpublished benefit, so AA is under no obligation to give us anything at all.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 7:06 am
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Here is a thought: it might be easy to change the address. But then it is very easy to actually verify where your trips are originating from (just a few lines of code to flag such cases). E.g. if you fly from LAX all year but have an address in Sweden, that is clearly a fraud.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by BAK
Here is a thought: it might be easy to change the address. But then it is very easy to actually verify where your trips are originating from (just a few lines of code to flag such cases). E.g. if you fly from LAX all year but have an address in Sweden, that is clearly a fraud.
I don't think they're that calculating.

There also a multitude of ways to explain away your example.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:17 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BAK
I've never seen anything in the AAdvantage rules requiring you to use as your address your domicile or even the residence you most frequently use. Since a fraud requires a misrepresentation of material fact, and there is no misrepresentation, this isn't fraud.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
I've never seen anything in the AAdvantage rules requiring you to use as your address your domicile or even the residence you most frequently use. Since a fraud requires a misrepresentation of material fact, and there is no misrepresentation, this isn't fraud.

This suggests you have seen the 1MM/2MM bonus summary which is interesting since it is an unpublished benefit.

There are several threads that detail the fallout of just such address shenanigans that occur around the 1MM mark.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bdemaria
This suggests you have seen the 1MM/2MM bonus summary which is interesting since it is an unpublished benefit.

There are several threads that detail the fallout of just such address shenanigans that occur around the 1MM mark.
AA can do whatever it wants in response to people's actions in regards to an unpublished benefit. It has no contractual obligations. But "fraud" is a legal term. If I haven't seen a requirement that I list as my address my most frequent residence or my domicile, then I can't make a material misrepresentation to AA in using some other address, say, my office address, or my family's address, or any other address. If there is no material misrepresentation, there is no fraud. It's one thing to say that "if you do x, AA will do Y." It's another thing to say that "if you do X, you've committed a fraud."
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I am sure you meant to state that you are just about to complete your move back to Sweden but you will retain your Caribbean winter domicile, no?

AA should have no problem with it.

Plus, there really is no advantage or disadvantage to having your address be somewhere in the world where you can get the mail on a daily basis. I mean what does AA send you of significance?

Change it to Sweden and leave it there..

Enjoy the SWUs
Old Dec 1, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Deltahater
I mean what does AA send you of significance?
Luggage tags!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.