AA Arrival Time in Dublin (DUB)

Old Nov 12, 09, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LTP;Marriott Platinum
AA Arrival Time in Dublin (DUB)

Question: Does anyone have any recent experience flying out of DUB and why the recommended arrival time is so early?

Background: I have friends flying back from DUB in the morning on AA. They were planning on leaving the hotel at 8:30AM for a 10:30 flight (about 30 minutes from the hotel to the airport I think). I looked at the AA website and AA lists a recommended 3 hour arrival time at DUB prior to departure. They will be checking luggage (lots). One of them is Gold so they can check in at the Business counter if that makes any difference as to what time they should plan to arrive.
Old Nov 12, 09, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by TULOKCICT View Post
Question: Does anyone have any recent experience flying out of DUB and why the recommended arrival time is so early?

Background: I have friends flying back from DUB in the morning on AA. They were planning on leaving the hotel at 8:30AM for a 10:30 flight (about 30 minutes from the hotel to the airport I think). I looked at the AA website and AA lists a recommended 3 hour arrival time at DUB prior to departure. They will be checking luggage (lots). One of them is Gold so they can check in at the Business counter if that makes any difference as to what time they should plan to arrive.
I haven't been to Dublin in a while, but the last time I was there, I remember AA only having two check in positions, immigration pre clearance, and heavy security including security checks on the jetway. All which take time. And hour and a half might be cutting it a bit close.
Old Nov 12, 09, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edited based on post #7. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._bo...arance#Ireland, DUB will have full U.S. immigration and customs facility once terminal 2 is opened next year.

Last edited by hillrider; Nov 14, 09 at 8:23 am
Old Nov 12, 09, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for your quick responses. I will tell them to bump up their departure time for the airport.

Thanks!!
Old Nov 12, 09, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I was through DUB earlier this year. I was not at the airport 3 hours before departure and I don't remember any part of the check-in or going through security taking overly long. I also had time to spend in the lounge, as I was ticketed in J. IMHO, the grim DUB isn't worth 3 hours of anyone's time. IMO, if your friends leave hotel at 8:00 am and have 2 hours at the airport, it should be enough time, but ymmv.
Old Nov 13, 09, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by hillrider View Post
I don't have a response, but do take into consideration that DUB has U.S. immigration and customs facility so you're going through the U.S.' infamous we-don't-care-about-visitors process, which is almost always queue-prone, in Dublin.
Is this done for AA now in Dublin? When we flew DUB-BOS 2 years ago, AA didn't pre-clear at DUB.
Old Nov 13, 09, 3:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage
AA dont use the pre-clearance facility at DUB.
Old Nov 13, 09, 3:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
AA does ICTS pre-clearance at the ticketing counter. You can get asked for additional screening at the gate, including just re-asking of questions or a security entrance-style full-on search. Ticketing counter is sometimes disorganized and indifferent, sometimes great. Decent Duty Free selections.

The most waits you'll encounter is at the ticketing counter with ICTS clearance and sluggish staff.
Old Nov 13, 09, 3:44 am

Programs: *A
I was in DUB a few weelks ago (albeit for a FR jaunt to STN), however security did take quite some time (10/15 min). DUB is pretty boring, however, 90 minutes is too close for comfort, especially as it could easily take more than 30 min to the airport.
Old Nov 14, 09, 8:15 am

we do it all the time.

In Y the biggest wait is for check in and it is still a 767-300 so more people for check in than on a 757

2 hours is more than enough at the airport There is no Pre clear which I prefer, but you do have a 10-15 minute walk to the gate after clearing security.

The real issue might be the 30 minutes from the airport- that would suggest that you are not in a hotel close to the airport,maybe in town. If that is the case , you really might want to alow 45 minutes as you will be traveling out to airport in rush hour. Are they leaving in a taxi or a bus? Taxi might be best as they can use the bus lanes etc.
Old Nov 14, 09, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. They took the city bus (2Euros each) at 7:10 and arrived at 7:40 and were checked in and through security by 8AM. They did say that there was no line at the Priority Access check-in they used, but there was a long line at the regular check-in. They probably would have been fine leaving at 8AM, but for international flights (especially when there is only 1 per day) I prefer to arrive early.

They confirmed that they cleared US immigrations in ORD, not DUB.
Old Nov 14, 09, 10:18 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by TULOKCICT View Post

They confirmed that they cleared US immigrations in ORD, not DUB.
We're looking at doing a trip to DUB in Jan or Feb. One of the routings had a 1:20 layover at ORD. While this must be within MCT, I definitely didn't feel comfortable with this considering weather and immigration implications and will go for the ~3 hour layover instead.

Cheers.
Old Nov 14, 09, 12:47 pm

Location: Woodbridge, NJ, USA/ Swords, Co Dublin, IE/London, UK
Programs: AA Plat
ORD xfer

Originally Posted by brp View Post
We're looking at doing a trip to DUB in Jan or Feb. One of the routings had a 1:20 layover at ORD. While this must be within MCT, I definitely didn't feel comfortable with this considering weather and immigration implications and will go for the ~3 hour layover instead.

Cheers.
That would be wise... i endended up sluming it in united slc a few weeks ago when border patrol were on a go slow and customs didn't like my (honest) answer that I was going shopping!
Old Nov 14, 09, 12:53 pm

Location: Woodbridge, NJ, USA/ Swords, Co Dublin, IE/London, UK
Programs: AA Plat
10 -15 minutes to d pier?!??! optimistic!

Originally Posted by eireman View Post
2 hours is more than enough at the airport There is no Pre clear which I prefer, but you do have a 10-15 minute walk to the gate after clearing security.
10 - 15 minutes? you must be flying! I usually take 20 and am overtaking people left and right

The AA flights leave from the D pier which is a l-o-n-g hike away from the security check points... if you are in any way a slow walker, allow more time... fortunately there usually is a long queue due to the aforementioned security at the gate which, but don't rely on it!

Tom (looking forward to flying via LHR in a few weeks rather than ORD(!))
Old Nov 14, 09, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
I beg to disagree with previous posts about the reason for the recommended early (3 hour prior) check-in at Dublin. IMHO, it is a left-over from the days of the "Celtic Tiger," when DUB was literally bursting at the seams. In those days it was not at all unknown for the airport to become thoroughly congested, with long delays, hence the need to allow for a wide time margin. Of course, the Celtic Tiger has since joined the choir invisible, DUB is much less busy, and Pier D has opened, so less of a problem. So, my take is that AA have simply failed to update their recommended check-in times to reflect this new reality.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: