Community
Wiki Posts
Search

oneworld Alliance Welcomes Mexicana on Board 00:01 10 Nov 2009

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

oneworld Alliance Welcomes Mexicana on Board 00:01 10 Nov 2009

Did a search and saw no previous thread marking this press release.

MEXICO CITY, Nov. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Mexicana becomes part of oneworldŽ at midnight tonight - adding Mexico and Central America's leading airline to the world's leading quality airline alliance.

Its subsidiaries MexicanaClick and MexicanaLink join oneworld at the same time, as affiliate members. All three airlines will offer the alliance's full range of services and benefits with the first flights tomorrow.

They extend the oneworld network to almost 700 destinations in nearly 150 countries, with a combined fleet of some 2,250 aircraft operating more than 8,000 flights a day, carrying 325 million passengers a year, with annual revenues of $100 billion.

A massive promotional program will be launched today to highlight the group's addition to the alliance.

Old Nov 9, 2009, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Congratulations to MX and welcome to Oneworld Alliance. S7 will be next joining into oneworld anytime soon. So do you know which airlines will be next to be joining into the alliance?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by N830MH
Congratulations to MX and welcome to Oneworld Alliance. S7 will be next joining into oneworld anytime soon. So do you know which airlines will be next to be joining into the alliance?
EY and AS.

I wish...
Old Nov 9, 2009, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA.com has been updated (miracle!) and MX flights effective 10NOV09 do indeed earn EQM and EQPs. Q, N, O, S are the low-value buckets that only get .5 EQPs, while Y and B (as well as business class) get you 1.5 EQPs. According to the wiki, awards are booked in I and X

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 9, 2009 at 4:50 pm
Old Nov 9, 2009, 4:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
ĄFelicidades! y beinvenidos abordo, nuestros amigos de Mexicana de Aviaciķn. (Congratulations and welcome...)

All we need to now is (in another thread, please follow there) whether you will give us bonus miles... and if JL will continue to remain in the oneworld fold. (Does anyone know off-hand if JL and MX already codeshare in the four times weekly MEX-YVR-NRT and return flights?

Now we can use MX to EZE and other "destinos interesantes" and fly on those little Fokkers once more, on MexicanaClick.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 9, 2009 at 4:25 pm
Old Nov 9, 2009, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
ĄFelicidades! y beinvenidos abordo, nuestros amigos de Mexicana de Aviaciķn. (Congratulations and welcome...)

All we need to now is (in another thread, please follow there) whether you will give us bonus miles... and if JL will continue to remain in the oneworld fold. (Does anyone know off-hand if JL and MX already codeshare in the four times weekly MEX-YVR-NRT and return flights?

Now we can use MX to EZE and other "destinos interesantes" and fly on those little Fokkers once more, on MexicanaClick.
Hillrider's link provides an affirmative in regards to your first question, JDiver.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 4:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Gracias, but it doesn't. We were simulposting, so hillrider's post appeared when I pushed my button to post. But, there is yet no answer as to whether we indeed earn status bonus miles on Mexicana, either on the page hillrider provides, or the elite status bonus miles page on aa.com - which has not been recently updated.

For our northern and southern cousins, if MX does allow elite status bonus miles, perhaps one could fly JL as an MX codeshare, for instance between YVR and MEX, and earn full EQM even for discounted economy, the appropriate EQP and elite status bonus miles. That would be nice!

Originally Posted by JNB280
Hillrider's link provides an affirmative in regards to your first question, JDiver.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 9, 2009 at 5:07 pm Reason: add second para
Old Nov 9, 2009, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by i_fly_AA
EY and AS.

I wish...
Sorry, it's wont be in oneworld for AS and I know AS is already to be relationship with DL and it will eventually to joining into Skyteam sometime in the future.

I knows EY will able to entry into Oneworld sometimes in the future. If they are in negotiations deal from board of members chairman to be approval. It will able to taking the advantage of EY.

Otherwise, JL will be leave from oneworld and it will be forced to be transferred into Skyteam with DL/NW in the future. Right now, they are in negotiations deal is in progress. If should be wait to be approval from skyteam mebers of boards.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 5:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
<snip>So do you know which airlines will be next to be joining into the alliance?
No, but some of us are concerned about who might be leaving next...

Regards
Old Nov 9, 2009, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
<snip> Now we can use MX to EZE and other "destinos interesantes" and fly on those little Fokkers once more, on MexicanaClick.
I've seen you mention this a few times, but I'm a bit confused. My understanding is that most of your travel (like mine) is personal. So, with that said, why would one choose to fly coach (I assume) on MX to EZE, rather than flying AA metal, being able to us an SWU to sit up front, and w/o question earning elite bonus miles?

What am I missing?

Regards
Old Nov 9, 2009, 5:38 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
Welcome to any new FT's from Mexico, now attracted to the AA forum.

Cheers Larry.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
What am I missing?
You're probably missing that everyone's preferences/reasons for travel are different from your own. A different airline is going to offer a different flight experience and different destinations.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by kremedonut
You're probably missing that everyone's preferences/reasons for travel are different from your own. A different airline is going to offer a different flight experience and different destinations.
Actually, I don't think I've ever implied in my posting history that I make any assumptions about peoples travel choices; that's why I asked JDiver the question.

Furthermore, JDiver didn't reference "different destinations" he referenced flying to EZE, which is a specific destination, a destination that AA, which JDiver is a top tier flier on, already services, and he has mentioned it in a few posts. I respect JDiver's advice/experience and value his insight. So, again that's why I asked him the questioned.

But hey, thanks for the witty and insightful enlightenment.

Regards
Old Nov 9, 2009, 7:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Sorry, it's wont be in oneworld for AS and I know AS is already to be relationship with DL and it will eventually to joining into Skyteam sometime in the future.
I know AS won't join OW, but it would be nice. For that matter, I don't know if they're going to be joining Skyteam either. They seem to be quite happy with codesharing.

I knows EY will able to entry into Oneworld sometimes in the future. If they are in negotiations deal from board of members chairman to be approval. It will able to taking the advantage of EY.
That would be very good if it happened, but I didn't think that it actually would. I thought that both EK and EY don't want to be in an alliance. I hope you're right though.

Otherwise, JL will be leave from oneworld and it will be forced to be transferred into Skyteam with DL/NW in the future. Right now, they are in negotiations deal is in progress. If should be wait to be approval from skyteam mebers of boards.
I wonder...if JL left OW, what would happen to AA's 5 daily NRT flights? Surely some or most of the would disappear, right? Would AA start flying into HKG to feed Asia traffic via CX instead?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by i_fly_AA
I wonder...if JL left OW, what would happen to AA's 5 daily NRT flights? Surely some or most of the would disappear, right? Would AA start flying into HKG to feed Asia traffic via CX instead?
Yes, I believe that so. AA will expecting to be announce more new route ORD-HKG or DFW-HKG nonstop on operated 777-200ER aircraft. It will have to less more competitive against CX are already existing service out JFK/LAX/SFO-HKG nonstop.

If AA will have to be filing to DOT. They will have subject receipt of government approval. It will may to take the advantage of AA will bring more capacity growth out DFW or ORD-HKG nonstop. It will have more problems serious the weight restrictions due to payload more cargo penalties.

Otherwise, it will wait for the approval from DOT will find for which specific date to be set. If will have wait for finalization of foreign government approval. It will be less competitive against UA are already existance ORD-HKG. It will kept it for all year-round long. Hopefully it will be freeing up some of those 777 utilization.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.