Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

OneWorld OneBaggageScam - charged for check-in as AA Gold on codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2009, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-D, SPG-Plt

I recently came back from a trip to Brussels

Here is my itinerary
10/14/09 AMERICAN AIRLINES 4662 Y BOS JFK
10/14/09 AMERICAN AIRLINES 172 Y JFK BRU
10/27/09 AMERICAN AIRLINES 6399 Y BRU LHR
10/27/09 AMERICAN AIRLINES 155 Y LHR BOS

On the way back BA made me pay 38 euros to check in my second bag on the BRU-LHR leg of my trip. They told me - yes you are Gold with AA but not with BA and since it's a BA flight - you pay. The AA rep there confirmed that. Apparently the rules changed Sept 14 and according to them the OneWorld agreement does not apply to checked baggage.

So basically you are screwed no matter if if you have status with AA if the carrier that checks in your baggage is not AA.

Now how about that for the latest scam to get a couple more $ out of you

Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, SPG Gold
This doesn't seem right. (I'm not saying it didn't happen--I'm saying it shouldn't have.) If you are traveling on an AA ticket on an AA flight number, you should be subject to AA's terms and conditions, not BA's. I haven't researched the policy, but I think you have every right to be ticked off about this.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I think you should contact aa about this. Don't use the word "scam," unless you'd rather have the satisfaction of sounding unreasonable rather than trying to get your money back. (Maybe it's just me, but I think you lose credibility when you use hyperbolic language like that. When I saw your thread title, I was expecting to side with the airline, not you.)

Just reasonably and succinctly explain that you booked an aa flight -- operated by ba, but an aa flight nonetheless -- and your understanding that as a plt you should have been exempt from the checked baggage fee.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:18 am

BA's baggage policy can be found here:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...k/public/en_gb

Note that BA Gold and Silver (Plat and EXP equivalent) members are entitled to two bags - so I wonder if they would have allowed a Plat or EXP to check in the extra bag free of charge. Anyone have recent experience of this?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Blumie
and your understanding that as a plt you should have been exempt from the checked baggage fee.

The OP says "They told me - yes you are Gold with AA but not with BA" which sounds like part of the problem. Presumably SC-G has dropped from AA-PLT to AA-GLD? BA, along with other OW airlines, effectively doesn't acknowledge OneWorld Ruby.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:26 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20
BA's baggage policy can be found here:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...k/public/en_gb

Note that BA Gold and Silver (Plat and EXP equivalent) members are entitled to two bags - so I wonder if they would have allowed a Plat or EXP to check in the extra bag free of charge. Anyone have recent experience of this?
I think this may be the key. Sapphire and Emerald, even via AA, would likely have gotten the exception. From what I understand, Ruby is Mud to BA. I still think that the OP should pursue this (factually and dispassionately, as noted), but I can see why it happened from the BA standpoint.

BA tend to be rule sticklers. They will extend appropriate OW benefits (some lounge experiences notwithstanding). As an example, they've begun charging for seat assignment, based on tier. Sapphire (PLT), for example, can choose a seat for free, but must pay for exit row. Emerald (EXP) can even choose exit for for free. We have an itinerary with BA legs and I was able to go on their site and choose exit rows for no charge. So, they are on-the-ball with the rules for the most part.

Cheers.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-D, SPG-Plt
Yes I am currently Gold with AA (tried to get a life this year - barely at 46000 miles currently) BUT what the BA agent told me in BRU is that it doesn't matter what status you have with AA - it does not apply when it comes to the baggage fees on BA operated flights. He also mentioned that he hopes they fix that soon before the summer crowds.

As you all understand it is not about the 38 Euros; it's about the hassle (I had to go to a different ticketing counter to pay that fee then come back and proceed with the checkin)

I am going to write to AA and don't worry - I do not intend to call it a scam in the fist couple of lines right after I tell them what I REALLY think about the food
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
The wording on AA.com is: "The changes above apply to any flight operated by American Airlines." So it appears that BA was operating within the rules. OP and others are quite correct that the rules were set improperly, IMO, if you are flying on an AA codeshare operated by another airline, everything should be the same as if flying on AA, except for the airplane looking different and the uniforms on the FAs.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, please update us the response from AA when you do write them.

Since you are on an AA ticket, booked with an AA flight number, the AA rules should apply.

I really like to see what AA would response to your complaint.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Happy
OP, please update us the response from AA when you do write them.

Since you are on an AA ticket, booked with an AA flight number, the AA rules should apply.

I really like to see what AA would response to your complaint.
Unfortunately, gemac's right and this is consistent with what all the airlines do: the rules of the operating carrier for the flight you check-in on apply. It cuts both ways: when I have an AA-operated flight first on an itinerary purchased through Alaska with all AS flight numbers, I get charged no baggage fees even though I am subject to baggage fees from AS and even if the bulk of the miles on the trip are on AS metal.

I'm not saying that I like it, that the OP shouldn't complain to AA, or that I don't hope that enough people complain so that AA finds a way to change the policy.

As for BA's rules, assuming the ticket agent was wrong and they do in fact waive baggage fees for AA PLTs and EXPs, that's fair because BA doesn't have a Ruby equivalent. It would hardly be fair for BA to treat an AA Gold better than they treat a traveler with equivalent flying who is a BAEC member instead of AAdvantage. (I'm saying this as an AA Gold.)

Last edited by ashill; Nov 3, 2009 at 9:43 am
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (Lifetime Gold), AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
While it's hidden in the exceptions to baggage fees verbiage, AA does state that when flying on a codeshare flight, it is the operators' baggage fee policies that apply.

http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetai...tentRepository

Click on "View complete list of exceptions"

"Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection® (operating carrier baggage allowance and charges will apply)"
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the clarification, ORDMD80; your post addresses the issue precisely and concisely. ^

OP, I do not think it will be worth the hassle to write - nobody is going to change the oneworld agreement with an e-mail to one airline, IMO.

Originally Posted by ORDMD80
While it's hidden in the exceptions to baggage fees verbiage, AA does state that when flying on a codeshare flight, it is the operators' baggage fee policies that apply.

http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetai...tentRepository

Click on "View complete list of exceptions"

"Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection® (operating carrier baggage allowance and charges will apply)"
Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need to let www.aa.com/customerrelations know, and, most important, the DOT's Aviation Consumer Protection Division at http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm or by calling 202-366-2220 (24 hours/day).

Bag fees and the way they're communicated (or not, in your case) are a new area for the DOT, and I read an article saying that the DOT doesn't hear enough from citizens about their problems, mostly because most people don't know that it's the DOT they need to contact (they don't do a good job at publicizing themselves).
Old Nov 3, 2009, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by hillrider
You need to let www.aa.com/customerrelations know, and, most important, the DOT's Aviation Consumer Protection Division at http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm or by calling 202-366-2220 (24 hours/day).

Bag fees and the way they're communicated (or not, in your case) are a new area for the DOT, and I read an article saying that the DOT doesn't hear enough from citizens about their problems, mostly because most people don't know that it's the DOT they need to contact (they don't do a good job at publicizing themselves).
^ Hillrider for posting this important reminder.

to this unsufficiently publicized rule change. I will be impacted by this rule change in the future when traveling with non-elites who check luggage on AA codeshares on BA . How does this policy actually work....if all AA codeshares on BA should still have to pay $$ for checked luggage, then when a AA Gold checks in at JFK for a JFK-LHR-TGL flight (LHR-TGL AA codeshare on BA), shouldn't AA be collecting for the $$ for BA for LHR-TGL??
Old Nov 3, 2009, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
Thanks for the clarification, ORDMD80; your post addresses the issue precisely and concisely. ^

OP, I do not think it will be worth the hassle to write - nobody is going to change the oneworld agreement with an e-mail to one airline, IMO.
JDiver, I think you are great, but in this instance, . It is worth the hassle of writing as AA has a customer-friendly, business-retaining opportunity and perhaps even DOT-regulated obligation to clearly state baggage rules (and all costs of travel) to purchasers of tickets -- at least according to some recent DOT guidance under the new, consumer-friendly, safety-pursuing activist DOT .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.