Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This Help Desk thread exists to request help with calculating Miles and Points garnered from AA and partner travel.

View My Miles page on AA.com does not provide a detailed breakdown of miles and points credited for each flight. Important terms to understand:
  • Base Miles* and EQM = Elite Qualifying Miles (for status calculation, earned on AA, oneworld and eligible partners flights) - are also RDM)
  • EQP = Elite Qualifying Points (not spendable, count only for status calculations)
  • RDM = redeemable miles, AKA "prize-winning miles" on aa.com, usable for awards (not EQ Miles, such as bonus or credit card miles, and do not count in calculating status)
  • MM Miles = Million Miler Miles - Base Miles earned on AA and qualifying oneworld and partner airlines
*AA uses the term Base Miles (elite status qualifying) and Base Miles in their mileage earning charts now. These are occasionally referred to on FT as "Butt-in-seat" or "BIS" miles.
McFlyPHL's Excel AAdvantage Miles Tracker v1.9.xls

brp's modified Excel AAdvantage Miles Tracker v1.3brp.xls

Great Circle Mapper for calculating miles: http://gc.kls2.com/

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Miles and Points Math Calculations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2009, 3:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Question ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Miles and Points Math Calculations

As this thread is getting quite long and old, and its subject is now more accurately discussed in the Combined US/AA forum, I am going to close it for now in favour of this new thread:

HELP DESK: Combined AA Miles and Points Math Calculations

~Moderator

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 27, 2015 at 4:33 am
Old Oct 23, 2009, 3:20 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Question MCO CLT 468 Qualifying Miles?

Help Desk: AA Miles and Points Math

AA Miles and Points Math is a frequent source of confusion, as the View My Miles page on AA.com does not provide a detailed breakdown of miles and points credited for each flight. There are three important terms to understand:
Base Miles* and EQM = elite qualifying miles
EQP = elite qualifying points
RDM = redeemable miles
*AA uses the term Base Miles (elite status qualifying) and Base Miles in their mileage earning charts now. These are occasionally referred to on FT as "Butt-in-seat" or "BIS" miles. Each elite qualifying mile will also be awarded as a redeemable mile, and other bonus miles may be awarded as well depending on fare, airline and elite status. Only these "base" miles count as elite qualifying miles. Generally elites will earn a minimum "base miles" per segment, so when the minimum kicks in the user will earn extra redeemable and elite qualifying miles to bring him or her up to the minimum for that segment.

AAdvantage members can qualify for annual elite status based on either EQM, EQP or segments. In general, other than by reaching spend thresholds on certain specific AA credit cards, the only way to earn EQM and EQP is by flying (butt-in-seat). Conversely, RDM are miles from all sources (flying, bonuses, credit cards, etc.) and these are the miles that can be redeemed for awards. Note especially that Challenges are based solely on EQP (not EQM), while lifetime status is based on RDM.

A detailed explanation of mileage and point calculations can be found in the wiki page below. The basics are as follows: Passengers fly one Base Mile and earn one EQM (which is also one RDM) for each mile flown on AA; elite members receive a minimum of 500 EQM and 500 RDM per segment on AA or US marketed flights. EQP are calculated as a function of EQM, based on the fare class purchased (not flown). Elites and those purchasing premium fares also receive bonus RDM.

Passengers can also receive EQM, EQP, and RDM on oneworld partners and Alaska Airlines, subject to certain fare restrictions and accrual rules. Passengers on most other partner airlines receive RDM only. N.B. Base miles may be none to a percentage or full flown miles on partners; it is crucial to check partner "miles awarded" charts to determine if, or how many, Base Miles will be granted, whether those miles are elite qualifying, and what multiplier will be applied to EQM to arrive at the number of EQP. Start here.

For flight entries on the View My Miles page, the Mileage column shows actual miles flown while the Bonus column shows elite minimum and bonus RDM lumped together. Some FlyerTalkers maintain their own spreadsheets and save intermediate versions of their AA statements (or YTD values) to ensure that all of their flights post correctly.

Please see the following resources for full details on AA Miles and Points, as well as miles calculations:
Wiki: Miles and Points

AA.com: Minimum Mileage Guarantee (Elites only as of 2009)

Great Circle Mapper: Link

McFlyPHL's Spreadsheet:AAdvantage Miles Tracker v1.9.xls

brp's Spreadsheet: AAdvantage Miles Tracker v1.3brp.xls

bniu's iPhone App: AA Mileage Calculator (thread)

The AA Miles and Points Math Help Desk

To assist members with questions about AA Miles and Points that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has established this, the second in a series "Help Desk" threads.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the above resources before posting here.
  • Please DO try to give as much information as possible related to your flights, including elite status, class-of-service, and fare class.
  • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
  • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.
Sincerely,
The AA Moderator Team
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:44 am

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
MATH CHECK to get to exp using dbl eqm please?

I've been looking at this most of the night and I've confused myself I think....I have a few trips on hold trying to strategize on what I really need to hit EXP, Lifetime Gold and get Elite rewards - hitting 125K is probably out of reach.

So how many actual miles must I fly? I think it's like 59K which based on the Dbl miles promo means 30K in round number - sound right? Then I should hit EXP, Lifetime Gold and get Elite rewards? Thanks in advance

Summary Date
Current Program to Date Miles 982,906
YTD Elite Qualifying Points 13,172
YTD Elite Qualifying Miles 40,605
Miles Towards Elite Upgrades 5,033
Miles with Expiration Deferred Through Apr. 23, 2011 282,755
500 Mile Upgrade Account Balance 3

Last edited by dstan; Jan 9, 2010 at 10:38 pm Reason: removed Mod note
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPGold, DL Gold Medallion, Avis Presidential, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JHIN
I've been looking at this most of the night and I've confused myself I think....I have a few trips on hold trying to strategize on what I really need to hit EXP, Lifetime Gold and get Elite rewards - hitting 125K is probably out of reach.

So how many actual miles must I fly? I think it's like 59K which based on the Dbl miles promo means 30K in round number - sound right? Then I should hit EXP, Lifetime Gold and get Elite rewards? Thanks in advance

Summary Date
Based on your numbers, if you fly 30K miles between now and December 15 (when double EQM expires), you will (a) achieve EXP for 2010; and (b) achieve lifetime Gold status. You will be about 25,000 EQM from achieving Elite Rewards.

Remember... You have to sign up for both the double EQM and Elite Rewards promotions. And you must do that 30,000 miles of flying on AA metal. That's 30,000 miles of your butt in a seat on an AA plane in the next 52 days or so.

You'll easily reach lifetime Gold (and earn a few 500 mile upgrades) about nine thousand miles into your flying. That's because your PLT status gets you double redeemable miles, and those miles do indeed count toward lifetime status.

And I have to say (because someone undoubtedly has to) that all your questions could have been answered by reading the wiki and/or perusing previous threads on these topics.

Peace and hair grease.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott

Summary Date
You're going to need to hit either 100,000 EQM, EQP or 100 segments by year's end. It looks like you have a challenging road ahead of you!

If you want to qualify on miles, as you said, you're going to have to fly 59,395 by the end of the year. If you want to benefit from the double EQM program, you have seven and a half weeks to fly 29,700 miles. Depending on how much time you have, you could fly SEA/JFK/SFO/JFK/SEA three times. The four segments in each trip will net you about 10,000 BIS miles or about 20,000 EQMs. Do it three times and you hit your target. If you select your travel days appropriately, the fare will range from about $500 to $700 per trip or around 2.5 to 3.5 cents per EQM. So, you could reach EXP by December 15 for under $2,000.

There are some inexpensive published fares to Europe--that's another option you could consider.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
So how many actual miles must I fly? I think it's like 59K which based on the Dbl miles promo means 30K in round number - sound right? Then I should hit EXP, Lifetime Gold and get Elite rewards?
You will not get the 'Elite Rewards' as once you hit EXP you need to get to 125,000 to get the rewards. You can't qualify for EXP then claim the rewards as though you were a Plat. member with over 75,000 miles.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist

Summary Date
The easiest way to do the 30k miles of flying will be to do 3 trips to Europe or Asia, from Seattle you will get 10,000 miles roughly for each RT.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:55 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP

Summary Date
1 - RT SEA-DFW-NRT-DFW-SEA = 32,300 EQM. Say $900 plus land costs
3 - Day RTs SEA-JFK-SEA = 9800 ea = 29,400 EQM, $240 ea. = $720

Total = $1620 plus Japan land cost (if any), 61,700 EQM (thus total 102K) and welcome to the club.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 1:37 pm

Unless the Japan land costs were bundled into the airfare, I don't think there are any. I just flew through there a few days ago and didn't shell out any money. I also spent a few hours out of the airport into Narita.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 3:23 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Unless the Japan land costs were bundled into the airfare, I don't think there are any. I just flew through there a few days ago and didn't shell out any money. I also spent a few hours out of the airport into Narita.
SEA-DFW-NRT only works with either a redeye to DFW or a night at DFW. If the redeye, then a NRT in 'n out turnaround really whacks the system. Better IMO to spend a night in a cheap hotel at NRT. But of course YMMV.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:55 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by LA2CDG
The easiest way to do the 30k miles of flying will be to do 3 trips to Europe or Asia, from Seattle you will get 10,000 miles roughly for each RT.
Two trips SEA-MAD will do it at ~ 31,000 or 1 domestic (creative routing) + 1 ORD-SIN (originate out of ORD with the domestic break) will do it also.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Two trips SEA-MAD will do it at ~ 31,000 or 1 domestic (creative routing) + 1 ORD-SIN (originate out of ORD with the domestic break) will do it also.
AA flies to SIN?
Just checking, because for the DBL EQM bonus, it has to be an AA operated flight
Old Dec 8, 2009, 4:59 am

AA mileage math question

Forgive the question, but it seems my math never matches AA's math and I am to close to 125K not to be sure.

I am exect plat at 120,074 EQM signed up for elite and double miles.

I am flying
12/20 TVC-ORD Q 500

On a separate ticket
12/21 ORD-DFW-MIA A 1921 (any class of service bonus EQM?)
12/27 MIA-SAL D 1030 (any class of service bonus EQM?)

Am I doing the math ok?
+500
+1921
+1030
=123525

Please tell me I have class of service bonuses or that the double mileage program will help
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AAaLot
Forgive the question, but it seems my math never matches AA's math and I am to close to 125K not to be sure.

I am flying
12/20 TVC-ORD Q 500

On a separate ticket

Am I doing the math ok?
+500
+1921
+1030
=123525

Please tell me I have class of service bonuses or that the double mileage program will help
Class of service only applies for EQP bonuses, not EQM.
I don't know what you are using for the mileage numbers. I use "Flying FIsh", and they are close. In any case, you are going to be short of 125K, which is what will matter. If you aren't waiting for any unposted EQM bonus miles, then you need to fly again to get the 125K. So, that's the question, but you didn't indicate whether or not you are due any EQM bonus for past flights
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by AAaLot

I am flying
12/20 TVC-ORD Q 500

On a separate ticket

Am I doing the math ok?
+500
+1921
+1030
=123525

Class of service bonus doesn't matter in this situation.
These flights take place after the end of the DBEQM offer.
AA.com lists MIA-SAL as 1011 miles.

Bottom line: unless you are waiting for prior DBEQM to post, you'll be c. 1400 miles short for the 125K rewards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.