Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This Help Desk thread exists to request help with calculating Miles and Points garnered from AA and partner travel.

View My Miles page on AA.com does not provide a detailed breakdown of miles and points credited for each flight. Important terms to understand:
  • Base Miles* and EQM = Elite Qualifying Miles (for status calculation, earned on AA, oneworld and eligible partners flights) - are also RDM)
  • EQP = Elite Qualifying Points (not spendable, count only for status calculations)
  • RDM = redeemable miles, AKA "prize-winning miles" on aa.com, usable for awards (not EQ Miles, such as bonus or credit card miles, and do not count in calculating status)
  • MM Miles = Million Miler Miles - Base Miles earned on AA and qualifying oneworld and partner airlines
*AA uses the term Base Miles (elite status qualifying) and Base Miles in their mileage earning charts now. These are occasionally referred to on FT as "Butt-in-seat" or "BIS" miles.
McFlyPHL's Excel AAdvantage Miles Tracker v1.9.xls

brp's modified Excel AAdvantage Miles Tracker v1.3brp.xls

Great Circle Mapper for calculating miles: http://gc.kls2.com/

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Miles and Points Math Calculations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Emirates
I believe what you get is based on the flight number ("marketing carrier") not operates it.

So BA metal with a CX/QF flight number can get less than 100% EQM'S.

I think a lot of the confusion with this topic is due to AA not being entirely consistent with their terminology at the column headers of their earning charts.

e.g on the QR chart they are:
Base Miles (elite status qualifying)
Class of Service Bonus Miles
***** Elite Qualifying Points per Mile Earned *****

And NOT Elite Qualifying Points per BASE MILE earned.

The BASE miles on a busines class trip are 100% but the MILES EARNED can be as high as 225%.

Just saying ...

Last edited by EKinBigD; Oct 11, 2014 at 4:57 pm
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by wendyg
I am somewhat confused about codeshares and FF miles and would appreciate help. I'm looking at fares to Australia, which means BA, Qantas, Cathay Pacific. On flights "marketed and operated" by BA, you get 100%; on Qantas and CP you can get as little as 0 depending on the fare class. So: if you fly BA and the flight is codeshared CP or Qantas, do you count as a BA pax or not? (I'll leave aside the question of how you find out what fare class you're in because most sites won't tell you that.

wg
It's essentially the carrier whose name appears on your ticket and boarding pass (the "marketing" airline) that determines which rules govern earning miles. (The carrier operating the flight is the operating carrier.)

E.g. flying QF USA - Australia
as QF operated by QF, use the QF miles earning chart on as AA operated by QF, use the chart for flying AA
flying BA as QF, use the chart for QF
as AA
as BA operated by QF (the long way), the AA.com chart for flying BA

On non-oneworld flights, be careful:
flying FJ as AA, earn as if you were flying AA
flying FJ as BA, you'll not earn AA miles because FJ isn't one world.
There are a very few exceptions to this general rule.

Be sure, if flying a non-oneworld partner, whether you earn Base / Elite Qualifying miles or redeemable miles (flying those as AA / marketed by AA will always earn as if you were flying AA).

Determining which fare class you may be buying is often not easy unless you use additional tools, such as ExpertFlyer, ITA, KVS etc. There are several listed in the Travel Tools forum, and some fora (such as Qantas') have threads that can be useful.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: US Gold
I emailed DM customer service for clarification. They say: if BA markets the flight and the flight number is BA, you get BA miles.

I didn't see JDiver's response before writing that; thanks for the copious detail.

wg
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:56 pm

Is this enough EQP for EXP qual?

Still learning a lot from you experts here.
I'm trying to get EXP status; got these trips booked.
Due to time constraints, I have to qualify based on EQP.

Could anyone PLEASE PLEASE verify if I'm doing the math right; wouldn't want any surprises on Dec 30th :-)
I realize it's asking a lot to have you guys read my post and validate my numbers. Don't know where else to go - no one I know does these mileage runs! People think I'm either loony, "working for the CIA" or "having an affair".
Hey, if anyone is ever at FLL, email me in advance and I'll buy you a beer!

EQP needed for EXP: 100,000
My current EQP: 48,802

Trip 1:
AA flight: F-class BookingFare P: FLL-DFW 1,119
AA flight: F-class BookingFare P: DFW-SEA 1,660
AA flight: F-class BookingFare P: SEA-ORD 1,721
AA flight: F-class BookingFare P: ORD-DFW 802
AA flight: F-class BookingFare P: DFW-FLL 1,119
EQM: 6,421
EQM*150%: 9,632

Trip 2:
AA flight: J-class BookingFare I: MIA-EZE 4,428
AA flight: F-class BookingFare P: EZE-MIA 4,428
EQM: 8,856
EQM*150%: 13,284

Trip 3:
AA flight: F-class BookingFare A: SEA-ORD 1,721
AA flight: F-class BookingFare A: ORD-PHL 678
AA flight:* J-class BookingFare I: PHL-FCO 4,371
*oper. US Airways
BA flight: J-class BookingFare J: FCO-LHR 899
AA flight: J-class BookingFare I: LHR-PHL-SEA 5,923
*oper. US Airways
AA flight: F-class BookingFare P: ORD-FLL 1,182
EQM: 19,274
EQM*150%: 28,911

EQP total: 100,629 (48,802+9,632+13,284+28,911)
delta: -629
Thus, qualifies as EXP with 629 points to spare.

Questions:
1) Will the BA flight count?
It is J-class of service, purchased Booking Fare J but BA flight number and metal.

2) AA flight (oper.by US Airways) routing LHR-PHL-SEA has one flight number (AA729).
However, it stops in PHL for 3 hours and we change planes: do both segments and all miles get counted?

Thank you so much.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mistik321
Questions:
It is J-class of service, purchased Booking Fare J but BA flight number and metal.
Yes, of course, why wouldn't it?

2) AA flight (oper.by US Airways) routing LHR-PHL-SEA has one flight number (AA729).
However, it stops in PHL for 3 hours and we change planes: do both segments and all miles get counted?
You will get mileage according to the nonstop distance between LHR and SEA (4800mi instead of 5923). Try to find a different routing if you need to avoid that.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Can't address the first question though I believe BA flights are calculated the same way as AA/US flights. Normally multiple segments flown with the same flight number get mileage based on the actual distance from the origination airport to the final airport, and not by adding the two segment mileages together. Even with a change of plane. So LHR-PHL-SEA would earn 4,780 base points (according to the WebFlyer calculator) and not 3,530+2,370. So you must change that entry from the 5,923 you're using to 4,780. This will significantly impact negatively your calculation and make you somewhat short of 100K EQPs. I hope someone else proves me wrong, but I don't think so.)

BTW in your calculations you've continued to call EQPs EQMs after you apply the COS multiplier. (There is no class of service bonus for EQMs, just for EQPs and RDMs.)
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
BA allows a 15% bonus to paid WT+ for EQP's
Points are at times the better approach...
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
whoa that is a lot... and pretty expensive too. are you sure it wouldn't be easier to not put yourself through all this MR, and just use the money to buy F or J next year?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Shareholder
BTW in your calculations you've continued to call EQPs EQMs after you apply the COS multiplier. (There is no class of service bonus for EQMs, just for EQPs and RDMs.)
Minor clarification - the OP wasn't calling EQPs EQMs, s/he was expressing half of an equation, EQM*150% (EQM "times" 150%), the calculation for EQPs in this case.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Still learning a lot from you experts here.
I'm trying to get EXP status; got these trips booked.
Due to time constraints, I have to qualify based on EQP.

Could anyone PLEASE PLEASE verify if I'm doing the math right; wouldn't want any surprises on Dec 30th :-)
I realize it's asking a lot to have you guys read my post and validate my numbers. Don't know where else to go - no one I know does these mileage runs! People think I'm either loony, "working for the CIA" or "having an affair".
Hey, if anyone is ever at FLL, email me in advance and I'll buy you a beer!

EQP needed for EXP: 100,000
My current EQP: 48,802

Trip 1:
AA flight: F-class BookingFare P: ORD-DFW 802
AA flight: F-class BookingFare P: DFW-FLL 1,119
EQM: 6,421
EQM*150%: 9,632

Trip 2:
AA flight: J-class BookingFare I: MIA-EZE 4,428
AA flight: F-class BookingFare P: EZE-MIA 4,428
EQM: 8,856
EQM*150%: 13,284

Trip 3:
AA flight: F-class BookingFare A: SEA-ORD 1,721
AA flight: F-class BookingFare A: ORD-PHL 678
AA flight:* J-class BookingFare I: PHL-FCO 4,371
*oper. US Airways
BA flight: J-class BookingFare J: FCO-LHR 899
AA flight: J-class BookingFare I: LHR-PHL-SEA 5,923
*oper. US Airways
AA flight: F-class BookingFare P: ORD-FLL 1,182
EQM: 19,274
EQM*150%: 28,911

EQP total: 100,629 (48,802+9,632+13,284+28,911)
delta: -629
Thus, qualifies as EXP with 629 points to spare.

Questions:

Thank you so much.
Honestly, I'm not going to do the math. I'll move this to the proper thread for that, though.

Now, to your questions:
1) Your AA and BA flights will earn 1.5 EQP per Base (EQ) mile.

2) Regardless of whether you change planes or click your heels three times, "through" flight connections earn base miles as if they were nonstops. Change your schedule so the flights do not reflect the same flight number - an earlier or later flight should suffice.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by JDiver
Honestly, I'm not going to do the math. I'll move this to the proper thread for that, though.
Okay, I did that

You are just north of 50K EQPs given what JDiver said abt through connections. Add another short MR or change your connection for that little nudge.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by SJC AA
Yes, of course, why wouldn't it?

You will get mileage according to the nonstop distance between LHR and SEA (4800mi instead of 5923). Try to find a different routing if you need to avoid that.
Thanks -- you are correct.

Although I just spent over an hour with AA to clarify their mileage calculation rule for "one-flight-number-but-multiple-flight-segments".
Spoke to three different Plat agents, plus the Help Desk.
Two of them said total miles =5923.
Another agent and the Help Desk said =4801
Finally a supervisor came on and said it's 4801.

I then asked to change the routing to maximize miles, like FCO-LHR-DFW-SEA.
But the change fee is $450.
So I said I'll keep it the way it is.
Better to book a fun, quick weekend trip to somewhere… make it a real trip.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:47 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by riastradh
whoa that is a lot... and pretty expensive too. are you sure it wouldn't be easier to not put yourself through all this MR, and just use the money to buy F or J next year?

I just tried to price one of my trips (the one going to Rome) and using my same dates and class of service, it is now $10k! What??? - good thing I bought my trips many months ago.

The EZE trip is actually a long vacation with my husband and I booked our flights more than six months ago.
The trip with all the domestic segments is the only true mileage run, although I do have family in Seattle (who are perplexed what all the flying is about).
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver

Now, to your questions:
1) Your AA and BA flights will earn 1.5 EQP per Base (EQ) mile.

2) Regardless of whether you change planes or click your heels three times, "through" flight connections earn base miles as if they were nonstops. Change your schedule so the flights do not reflect the same flight number - an earlier or later flight should suffice.

Thanks JDiver. Geez, I sure learned that today.
AA will charge me quite a bit to change the FCO-SEA routing (I of course wanted the routing that would put me over the hump).
So no change to my ticketed flights.
Instead I'll just book a quick, fun trip for those needed 1086 EQPs.

btw, I've NEVER flown US Airways before.
Gotta fly their "envoy class" before the AA-US mindmeld completes.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Okay, I did that

You are just north of 50K EQPs given what JDiver said abt through connections. Add another short MR or change your connection for that little nudge.

Yep, will book a quick fun trip somewhere to get me those required EQPs.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.