Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This Help Desk thread exists to request help with calculating Miles and Points garnered from AA and partner travel.

View My Miles page on AA.com does not provide a detailed breakdown of miles and points credited for each flight. Important terms to understand:
  • Base Miles* and EQM = Elite Qualifying Miles (for status calculation, earned on AA, oneworld and eligible partners flights) - are also RDM)
  • EQP = Elite Qualifying Points (not spendable, count only for status calculations)
  • RDM = redeemable miles, AKA "prize-winning miles" on aa.com, usable for awards (not EQ Miles, such as bonus or credit card miles, and do not count in calculating status)
  • MM Miles = Million Miler Miles - Base Miles earned on AA and qualifying oneworld and partner airlines
*AA uses the term Base Miles (elite status qualifying) and Base Miles in their mileage earning charts now. These are occasionally referred to on FT as "Butt-in-seat" or "BIS" miles.
McFlyPHL's Excel AAdvantage Miles Tracker v1.9.xls

brp's modified Excel AAdvantage Miles Tracker v1.3brp.xls

Great Circle Mapper for calculating miles: http://gc.kls2.com/

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Miles and Points Math Calculations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by akersnl
I upgraded the STL/LAX with miles. I have since changed this ticket to a fare class earning 1.0 EQP.

I'll also throw in a AKL-SYD 1 way in J to generate 2018 EQP.

I now calculate the total to be 107,728 EQP using MileCalc. Should be enough of a margin. Not as much as I've done the past couple years, but it will get the job done.

Thanks for double checking my math.
Why are you thowing in an AKL-SYD and paying higher amounts for LAX-STL since you are already over the requirements?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75
Booked as a QR flight number, AA metal, earn AAdvantage miles like AA flight or QR?

Ah the all knowing FTers:

I know the other way is ok(ie, QR metal, AA flight#, you earn just like an AA flight with platinum bonus miles and 100% on N all that jazz), what about the other way around? I'm about to book with QR for a QR numbered flight operated by AA and im wondering if I would earn 100% in N and get the 100% bonus for being EXP. Ijust called EXP, she told me after researching that she doesnt know, and asks me to call QR! I should have asked to be transfered to AAdvantage!

Okay now I learned that I get 100% bonus regardless of its a QR flight or AA flight. However, the question about how deep discounted fare earn still remains.

Thanks in advance for your help folks

Last edited by UAConcorde; Apr 4, 2015 at 5:37 am
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are booked on AA flight number, AA earning table applies
If you are booked on QR flight number, QR earning table applies

Fly 1000 miles in N class on AA flight number , get 1000 base miles plus 1000 bonus
Fly 1000 miles in N class on QR flight number , get 500 base miles plus 500 bonus

It doesn't matter whether the flight is operated by AA or QR, it is the flight number that you book on that matters
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75
ok got it thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You earn as the marketed flight provides.

Flying QR as AA, earn as AA.
Flying QR (or AA!) as QR, earn a la QR.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...ines/qatar.jsp

You're good on higher fares, hammered on discount fares (the percent figure is the multiplier for base miles based on flown miles; Q earns 0.25 EQM per mile flown (status bonus miles will be calculated based on that result), and multiply that by the last figure for EQ Points):

Discount Economy H, K, M 75% – 1.00

Discount Economy G, L, N, S, V 50% – .50

Discount Economy Q, O, T 25% – .50

Travel on Qatar Airways counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership. AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold members traveling on Qatar also enjoy:
  • Additional elite status bonus miles
  • oneworld airline recognition and benefits
For 1,000 miles flown on a Q, O or T fare, earn 250 EQM, if Platinum or EXP 250 redeemable only bonus miles, and 125 EQ Points.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Miles Earned

I am an AA Platinum elite and have a question regarding miles on British Airways purchased tickets. If I go to the BA's website and purchase BA ticket from CLT-PHL (flown by US)-LHR-AMS in economy or World Traveler Plus, will I earn a minimum of 500 miles for the CLT to PHL segment and will I earn the 100% bonus for all segments, including the BA flights, for being Platinum?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Yes and yes.

These are details that can be found in the mileage earning pages for BA on AA.com.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...es/british.jsp

With AAdvantage earning, generally the marketing carrier (BA xxxx), sometimes qualified by the operating carrier (operated by US Airways) is relevant. Where you buy it (the BA web site) and the ticketing carrier (BA here) are not.

There are links to relevant minimum mileage guarantee and AA elite status bonus miles outlines from the BA earnings page.

Anyone who wants to buy codeshares or partner-coded flights without AAdvantage earnings disappointment must be able to use the earnings pages on aa.com.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by CLTRob
I am an AA Platinum elite and have a question regarding miles on British Airways purchased tickets. If I go to the BA's website and purchase BA ticket from CLT-PHL (flown by US)-LHR-AMS in economy or World Traveler Plus, will I earn a minimum of 500 miles for the CLT to PHL segment and will I earn the 100% bonus for all segments, including the BA flights, for being Platinum?
As we have a help desk thread for questions like this, I'll go ahead and merge this in.

~Moderator
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As this thread is getting quite long and old, and its subject is now more accurately discussed in the Combined US/AA forum, I am going to close it for now in favour of this new thread:

HELP DESK: Combined AA Miles and Points Math Calculations

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.