Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This Help Desk thread exists to request help with calculating Miles and Points garnered from AA and partner travel.

View My Miles page on AA.com does not provide a detailed breakdown of miles and points credited for each flight. Important terms to understand:
  • Base Miles* and EQM = Elite Qualifying Miles (for status calculation, earned on AA, oneworld and eligible partners flights) - are also RDM)
  • EQP = Elite Qualifying Points (not spendable, count only for status calculations)
  • RDM = redeemable miles, AKA "prize-winning miles" on aa.com, usable for awards (not EQ Miles, such as bonus or credit card miles, and do not count in calculating status)
  • MM Miles = Million Miler Miles - Base Miles earned on AA and qualifying oneworld and partner airlines
*AA uses the term Base Miles (elite status qualifying) and Base Miles in their mileage earning charts now. These are occasionally referred to on FT as "Butt-in-seat" or "BIS" miles.
McFlyPHL's Excel AAdvantage Miles Tracker v1.9.xls

brp's modified Excel AAdvantage Miles Tracker v1.3brp.xls

Great Circle Mapper for calculating miles: http://gc.kls2.com/

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Miles and Points Math Calculations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
Class of service only applies for EQP bonuses, not EQM.
I don't know what you are using for the mileage numbers. I use "Flying FIsh", and they are close. In any case, you are going to be short of 125K, which is what will matter. If you aren't waiting for any unposted EQM bonus miles, then you need to fly again to get the 125K. So, that's the question, but you didn't indicate whether or not you are due any EQM bonus for past flights
In 'current' summary:
12/4 YYZ-ORD-TCV

In my last month [Dec 2009] at least 5000 miles that have 'normally posted'...it is too confusing to tell if double miles have posted.

When do the EQM double miles post? Any way to check this?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by AAaLot
In 'current' summary:
12/4 YYZ-ORD-TCV

In my last month [Dec 2009] at least 5000 miles that have 'normally posted'...it is too confusing to tell if double miles have posted.

The last batch posted a couple of weeks ago. Have you flown within the past couple of weeks? AA will email you with a total of DEQMs each posting, however, does not provide a line item of each flight. It looks like you are going to be 1,549 miles short unless you have that amount of miles flown recently. If not, there may be some cheap MRs this Saturday for last chance.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
In 'current' summary:
12/4 YYZ-ORD-TCV
Since your YYZ-ORD-TVC was only last week, it is unlikely that those DEQMs have posted, but those 1,000 EQMs would still leave you short.
However, depending on the DEQM posting cycle (which does not coincide with your statement date), you may have other November flights that have yet to post DEQM.
FYI, many here use an Excel spread-sheet to track EQM status/progress and avoid similar confusion.
You can also check the DEQM thread, as the recent posts should give you an idea of the approximate date of the most recent run batch.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...idated-25.html

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 8, 2009 at 7:06 am
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:56 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
it is too confusing to tell if double miles have posted.

It shouldn't be confusing as they send emails telling exactly how many double miles have posted. Anyone who is going to be close is advised to read these.

As for checking- the easiest way is to find the consolidated thread on the topic as this is answered there.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Alternatively, one can just start a thread and ask others to do ones work for them.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Dec 8, 2009 at 8:10 am
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
It is too confusing to tell unless you have a spreadsheet to track the double EQM. That is what I do, and have consistently advised others to do. At this point you have two choices that I can see:

1. Go back to the last statement that was unaffected by double EQM, and track the EQM forward from there. List off every flight posted on subsequent statements, the base EQM and the bonus EQM that you should receive for that flight. You should be able to determine which flights have had the bonus EQM post. You will then know which flights have not posted bonus EQM, and how many bonus EQM you should expect from them, or you could

2. Fly the 1500 miles.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Since your YYZ-ORD-TVC was only last week, it is unlikely that those DEQMs have posted, but those 1,000 EQMs would still leave you short.
However, depending on the DEQM posting cycle (which does not coincide with your statement date), you may have other November flights that have yet to post DEQM.
FYI, many here use an Excel spread-sheet to track EQM status/progress and avoid similar confusion.
You can also check the DEQM thread, as the recent posts should give you an idea of the approximate date of the most recent run batch.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...idated-25.html
Unless you find other DEQMs that haven't posted, your best bet is probably to check the ORD-DFW-MIA fare rules to see if they allow a connection in LAX. Going ORD-LAX-MIA (in addition to the DEQMs from YYZ-ORD-TVC) would put you over 125k.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by gemac
It is too confusing to tell unless you have a spreadsheet to track the double EQM.
I don't know. I find a piece of paper, a pencil, and a brain with some coffee does nicely.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I don't know. I find a piece of paper, a pencil, and a brain with some coffee does nicely.
Considering all the potential segments and the delayed DEQM posting, you either have way too much time or don't know Excel.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 4:41 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
AAlot,

The last double miles batch was run on November 28th.

If you had flights Post November 21st they is a huge chance that they have not been counted towards double miles. Flights after November 28th couldn't have been counted since the last batch was run on the 28th. Flights on the 19th and 20th of November might or might not have been included in the last batch and it is near certain that double miles all flights before November 19th have already been accounted for in your "120,074 EQM".

As other have said your flights do not qualify for double EQM and Class bonus will not help you. So either you have 1,500 "safe" double miles (the 1,000 from 12/4 flights are in this category) coming or you will need to fly another 500 miles.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:22 pm

Considering all the potential segments and the delayed DEQM posting, you either have way too much time or don't know Excel.
or don't fly enough.

I can count all my DL miles on a piece of paper without the coffee.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
ORD-DFW-NRT X 2 (RT) X 3 (#Trips) X 2 (DEQM)

+

NRT-SIN X 2 (RT) X 3 (trips)

+

existing EQM

= 131,016

Not so tough.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Sagy
AAlot,

The last double miles batch was run on November 28th.

If you had flights Post November 21st they is a huge chance that they have not been counted towards double miles. Flights after November 28th couldn't have been counted since the last batch was run on the 28th. Flights on the 19th and 20th of November might or might not have been included in the last batch and it is near certain that double miles all flights before November 19th have already been accounted for in your "120,074 EQM".

As other have said your flights do not qualify for double EQM and Class bonus will not help you. So either you have 1,500 "safe" double miles (the 1,000 from 12/4 flights are in this category) coming or you will need to fly another 500 miles.
Thanks

I flew 11/29, 12/1 x 2, 12/2 x 2.

So if the last double batch was 11/28 then I should be okay.

Is it everyone's consensus that 11/28 was the last double posting?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:43 am

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
I have either thoroughly confused myself on the math to EXP, done it wrong or hit it squarely what do you think?

As of October 24th I had 40,605 YTD miles. Subtracting that from the needed 100K to EXP meant I needed 59,535 actual miles or using DEQM 29697 miles. Seems everyone agreed at the time.

Now here's what has happened. Had 40,605 on October 24th flew 15,066 miles since then - if I use DEQM then that means 30,132 gets added to my 40,605 for a grand total of 70,737 - is that RIGHT? or WRONG? Have I mis-calculated or will I hit EXP under my original note? If I won't hit EXP then maybe I have a quick flight to make to hit the elite rewards?

Any help appreciated much confused as of today.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:49 am

You know the double miles don't post immediately, right? It takes a while and they do them in batches. There's a big thread on the post dates, but the last one was November 28.

If you've flown 15,000 miles, then you should be close to elite rewards for PLT.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Two trips SEA-MAD will do it at ~ 31,000 or 1 domestic (creative routing) + 1 ORD-SIN (originate out of ORD with the domestic break) will do it also.
I would like to thank tkelvin for the basic math above. When the OP started this threshold I had a few more EQM than he did but never though about shooting for EXP.

After reading tkelvin's post about two trips to MAD I started looking at cost and have since flown to CDG and will leave for MAD this Thursday and that will make me EXP for the first time ever.

I have been PLT for the last 4 years and only once did I come close to EXP but that was because of segments not miles.

Rod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.