Non Stops to Hong Kong

Old Oct 20, 09, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Non Stops to Hong Kong

DL announced yesterday a startup of Non Stop from DTW-HKG for 2010.
It has been stated on this forum that no other U.S. airline currently had rights to fly U.S. non Stop to HKG other then UA and CO.

How did DL get Non Stop rights. I realize they have rights from NW to do NRT-HKG.

PLEASE AA - It is time to start ORD-HKG.
File the paper work, ask for permission, do something.
Old Oct 20, 09, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL DM; AA EXP, 1MM
It's crazy to me that the US airline with an alliance partner HQed at HKG is the one that isn't flying to HKG.
Old Oct 20, 09, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zman View Post
DL announced yesterday a startup of Non Stop from DTW-HKG for 2010.
It has been stated on this forum that no other U.S. airline currently had rights to fly U.S. non Stop to HKG other then UA and CO.

How did DL get Non Stop rights. I realize they have rights from NW to do NRT-HKG.
DL's rights to HKG can be flown nonstop from USA or from NRT. Same with most (if not all) of NW's China authorities. NW chose to fly all of its China flights via NRT but could have flown them nonstop from MSP or DTW had it chose. DoT used that argument to deny NW additional China frequencies a few years ago.

PLEASE AA - It is time to start ORD-HKG.
File the paper work, ask for permission, do something.
It's my understanding that the HKG-USA bilateral (different treaty than mainland PRC-USA bilateral) would have to be amended before AA could get autorities to HKG.

Besides, as I've posted before: If a second HKG-ORD was economically viable (besides the established UA flight), CX would already be flying it (and would have been flying it for many years now), same with LAX, SFO, YVR and JFK.
Old Oct 20, 09, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Besides, as I've posted before: If a second HKG-ORD was economically viable (besides the established UA flight), CX would already be flying it (and would have been flying it for many years now), same with LAX, SFO, YVR and JFK.[/QUOTE]

But there is a business model for DL/NW to fly from DTW????
Old Oct 20, 09, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Besides, as I've posted before: If a second HKG-ORD was economically viable (besides the established UA flight), CX would already be flying it (and would have been flying it for many years now), same with LAX, SFO, YVR and JFK.
That's not necessarily true. CX could have determined that HKG-ORD was economically viable, but that HKG-[other places] was even more viable, for CX.
Old Oct 20, 09, 11:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Didn't CX just recently announce that they're starting ORD-HKG next year? I'm pretty sure they did.
Old Oct 21, 09, 12:15 am

I did a little bit of googling and couldn't find anything about CX starting HKG-ORD. There was something in CX's wiki article about DragonAir planning a major cargo expansion, including ORD, but the source was from 2004 (before CX's acquisition of them), and CX already runs a cargo route to ORD.
Old Oct 21, 09, 1:22 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I'm pretty sure that I flew NW non-stop from SEA to HKG in 1996. At some point after that, they dropped the non-stop and you had to connect in NRT. Perhaps NW (and thus now DL) still has a non-stop USA-HKG authority left over from that route.
Old Oct 21, 09, 1:31 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Other than the ability to use eVIPS, exactly how critical is it to fly AA metal instead of CX?
Old Oct 21, 09, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by ty97 View Post
It's crazy to me that the US airline with an alliance partner HQed at HKG is the one that isn't flying to HKG.
Not much different than AA flying to the HQ of Qantas, Finnair, Malev, or next year's OW partner S7
Old Oct 21, 09, 2:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
Other than the ability to use eVIPS, exactly how critical is it to fly AA metal instead of CX?
Not particularly critical. But going to HKG is not particularly convenient for AA flyers, as CX does not fly from any of AA's biggest hubs. (I guess JFK and LAX are hubs, but CX service is missing from ORD and DFW. UA has a HKG/ORD flight, so there must be some money in this route.)
Old Oct 21, 09, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
But there is a business model for DL/NW to fly from DTW????
Having a viable business model and having a viable business are, of course, two different things.
Old Oct 21, 09, 10:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
Having a viable business model and having a viable business are, of course, two different things.
+1

some folks build a lucrative business without a decent business model (not recommended)
Old Oct 21, 09, 10:53 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by benzguy80 View Post
+1

some folks build a lucrative business without a decent business model (not recommended)
And some build a lucrative business without a quality product. Look at early versions (and some more recent, for that matter) of Windows.

Cheers.
Old Oct 21, 09, 12:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Not much different than AA flying to the HQ of Qantas, Finnair, Malev, or next year's OW partner S7
I'm not sure if I agree with that.

SYD/QF: No reason for AA to fly here as their partnership with QF is very strong as it is. When the 787s come on board, it would be nice to see DFW-SYD but until then, QF provides sufficient coverage and codesharing space to meet AA's need.

HEL/AY: HEL is too small of a market as it is and most if not all of the international destinations that AY serves out of HEL are served by the likes of BA and IB anyway.

BUD/MA: I'm not sure why MA is still in OW, especially that they (AFAIK) stopped the TATL flying recently. AA does not need to fly to BUD.

DME/S7: I wouldn't be surprised if AA restarted DME service once S7 comes on board - although not neccessarily from ORD but quite possibly from JFK. Unllike AY and MA, S7 will open up many new destinations that aren't currently served by any OW airline and I'm sure there will be at least some demand for that.

Search this Thread