Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Temporary Jealousy of Delta’s Expanding International Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Temporary Jealousy of Delta’s Expanding International Service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2009, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Also worth noting regarding JFK TATL is that they are completely ending JFK-EDI and leaving it solely to CO to operate ex-EWR. Perhaps not the best move as there will no longer be an ST option on the route, but then again it probably wasn't performing well.
Well, CO's been operating that route for probably 10 years, so it must be working for someone.

If I had to guess, I'd say that DL is just throwing darts and launching these routes. They're probably not taking the time to cultivate the relationships in the market to help generate traffic. Fly it and they will come? Doesn't exactly work in the airline industry.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by zacktravel
Agreed. Why on earth does Delta assume they would have enough passengers for daily flights to Africa? Bad Corporate Strategy if you ask me!
It's a good strategy if you ask me. DL has been reasonably successful in Africa, likely because it's the only carrier on many of those routes. DL is adapt at thinking outside of the box, not just in Africa but in Europe and Asia as well. DL has been flying to Africa for the better part of five years now, one would think if they weren't doing well there, they wouldn't continue to expand into Africa.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
MAH4546,

1. United confirmed today the rollout of the new Business and First flat beds will commence on the 777s from February 2010.

2. Continental's flat bed rollout will be across its entire longhaul fleet, including the 767s.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by GTITAN
One can reach most of the places noted with AA and OW just not always on AA metal, and as long as you get a code share, you get status bonus, etc. IMHO, the real benefit of flying on your own FFP's metal is to enjoy whatever major benefits that your carrier provides. For example, EPs get SWUs on AA which we can use on any published mileage earning fare. That is (one of) the major benefit to being EP and flying AA. With DL, the route structure is great, but you are paying "full fare coach" if you want to use miles or DL's version of the SWU to get into its "business elite cabin". FWIW and for me personally, if I am stuck in Y (with some exception) and not in a premium class cabin, I don't much care if its my own FFP's metal or not provided I am earning EQMs and RDMs. I grant YMMV totally on this one.
Safe Travels
I agree overall with you, I'll certainly take AAdvantage over SkyMiles. My concern with AA's route network is that I want AA to stay competitive (and thrive, so that I can continue to enjoy using my status and my miles).

I live in a Chicago, so I can get just about anywhere on AA/OW nonstop, or with one stop. This isn't true at outstations though. I lived in Austin for many years, and in order o get to many cities in Europe for work, I had to fly AUS-(DFW/ORD)-LHR-XXX, a double-stop itinerary. Or, I could have flown AUS-ATL-XXX (one stop) in numerous cases. This is a common situation for those not living in hub cities. I'm a happy AAdvantage member, so you know what choice I made. But I think I'm an exception and that most people will take the more direct itinerary (if price is similar).

My point being that we can get just about anywhere with codeshares, but it could involve multiple stops. Is that competitive enough?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
MAH4546,

1. United confirmed today the rollout of the new Business and First flat beds will commence on the 777s from February 2010.
That's good news.

2. Continental's flat bed rollout will be across its entire longhaul fleet, including the 767s.
No firm dates have been announced for the 767s, and right now its looking to be quite a while.

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by denCSA
Some of these flights are verrrrrry long, and of course AA would have to get approval from the pilots' union, which ain't going to happen.
So how did ORD-DEL, ORD-PEK and ORD-PVG get approved? All are over 12 hours, all required APA approval.

Truth is that APA will stop Dallas routes because nobody else is going to fly them. APA won't stop other routes, because then the routes will be "out sourced" to other carriers (i.e., if APA hypothetically rejects ORD-HKG, then CX will fly it), and that destroys APA's argument that AA is attempting to outsource flying through ATI.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by millionmiler
The two airlines have different investment strategies obviously but its strange that DL can do all of these routes while AA can do none of them. The math shouldn't be that different.
Good point: AA seems to rely on its OW partners more than does DL or CO on ST carriers. However, AA has upside: the airline could expland its international footprint. AA has unrealized value.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
It's a good strategy if you ask me. DL has been reasonably successful in Africa, likely because it's the only carrier on many of those routes. DL is adapt at thinking outside of the box, not just in Africa but in Europe and Asia as well. DL has been flying to Africa for the better part of five years now, one would think if they weren't doing well there, they wouldn't continue to expand into Africa.
Agreed; DL has been very successful in its overseas expansion. A number of years ago, it hired the two executives that pioneered CO's expansion and has duplicated that effort. The recent downturn has affected all carriers with large overseas networks, so its not surprising that DL has canceled many of its routes. It did surprise me how aggressive DL cut back earlier this year when it was clear that the slowdown was real and sustained.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
MAH4546,

We'll also get an update in a few weeks about the DL expansion of its true, lie-flat seats.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Let me add to my thoughts: It's pretty clear to me that the LCCs are stealing more and more of the domestic market share in the US from the legacy carriers. In order to stay competitive, it seems the LCCs must look abroad. AA's seeming lack of motivation to expand internationally (past a couple of routes like PEK) is deeply troubling to me for the airline's well-being. Especially when the competition is expanding its international service. AA seems to just be stagnating.

I can only hope that they have grand plans hidden behind the curtains for post-ATI (assuming ATI approval happens)
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by zacktravel
Agreed. Why on earth does Delta assume they would have enough passengers for daily flights to Africa? Bad Corporate Strategy if you ask me!
with all due respect, I think both you and MAH4546 seem to forget that we plunged into a worldwide, deep recession. How on earth do you expect Delta to make those routes work if business travel is down as much as it is? I think it was smart on Delta's behalf - they now have DOT approval to run those routes so when the economy picks up again they are ready to go.

and Africa is developing - it essentially only has one way to go: UP. If AA was smart, they would have started these routes themselves to entrench themselves as the key player to Africa like they do to Latin America via MIA.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:10 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by tyassine
with all due respect, I think both you and MAH4546 seem to forget that we plunged into a worldwide, deep recession. How on earth do you expect Delta to make those routes work if business travel is down as much as it is? I think it was smart on Delta's behalf - they now have DOT approval to run those routes so when the economy picks up again they are ready to go.

and Africa is developing - it essentially only has one way to go: UP. If AA was smart, they would have started these routes themselves to entrench themselves as the key player to Africa like they do to Latin America via MIA.
I'm not "forgetting" anything. I think expanding into Africa is smart, and never said otherwise.

Travel to Africa and Latin America are nowhere near as badly hurt in the current recession. Both remain quite robust.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 4:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Smile

I enjoy connecting to BA @ LHR to international destinations not flown by AA metal. I prefer BA first/business over AA. Effective 2010, my only AA international route will be to LHR. Any destinations beyond LHR will be flown on BA or EK. I also prefer JFK/DXB Dubai connections.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 7:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Yes, but as of now only on the 777s and 764s. And the rest of the fleet (i.e. the majority) will be waiting until at least 2012. The lie-flats on the 763s are on indefinite hold.
Installation of horizontal lie-flat seats across the entire, widebody international fleet will be proceeding shortly.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Also, around this time last year, Delta made a similar announcement. Let's see what happened:
With great risks, comes great reward. On the other hand, you have AA trying to play it safe.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 8:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sxf24
Installation of horizontal lie-flat seats across the entire, widebody international fleet will be proceeding shortly.
cool! ^^ I hadn't heard that. best news so far, today.

thanks
Old Oct 21, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by benzguy80
cool! ^^ I hadn't heard that. best news so far, today.

thanks
I'm pretty certain that the information you quote is referring, somewhat misleadingly, to DL. It's not clear from your post if you thought this was actually AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.