Search

UA to AA @SJU, Connection time needed?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, National EE
UA to AA @SJU, Connection time needed?

Greetings AAdvantage Flyers,

UA flyer with a question regarding SJU: I was thinking about taking an itin with IAD-SJU on UA, connecting to AA4860 for SJU-SKB. The connection time is 40 mins. Aside from IAD departure delay risks, is this connection doable? Is going from B to D/E @SJU all airside, and what is the approx walking time? And finally, if i checked a bag, could it be transferred since it will be going to an onward destination outside PR, or do I have to leave the sterile area and get an Ag inspection & re-check?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hi Scuba,

IMHO, I wouldn't make such a tight connection, regardless of the airports, when traveling on two separate tickets on 2 different airlines. If the IAD flight is late and causes you to miss your AA flight, you won't be protected by AA -- the missed flight will be your responsibility and AA won't automatically rebook you. It also looks like AA only has one SJU-SKB flight per day .
Old Oct 19, 2009, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The published minimum connection time from any airline to AA, domestic to international, is 1:25 (AA override from the airport's standard domestic-international of 1:00). So the answer is no.

In any case, I would base my decision on what's the historic ontime arrival of the UA flight (see www.flightstats.com) and what are the reprotection option for SJU-SKB on all airlines you care about flying.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, National EE
Appreciate the replies. From what I'm hearing, it's too tight. These will be fully flexible Y fares, but the single SJU-SKB flight leaves me with no same-day option to change to. Looks like it's going to be Scareways via CLT.

Thanks again. FT'ers always provide me with good insight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.