Hand luggage Toronto -> Miami query

Old Oct 19, 09, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Hand luggage Toronto -> Miami query

Hello,

On BA, we can have one bag of 22ins x 18ins x 10ins as hand luggage and one laptop type bag each.

If we both have these will we have any issues on AA flying from Toronto.

If we get away with just hand luggage on BA, I do not really wish to check in a bag at Toronto.

Flying business on AA (if that makes a difference)

Thank you.
Old Oct 19, 09, 9:33 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
You will want to check the AA website, specifically here

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...horEvent=false

as they will have information about their carry on limitations. I would guess that basic questions like this are also linked from the various resources here (FAQ, wiki, stickies) linked here as well.

(By the way, this would seem to exceed the AA limitations.)

Cheers.
Old Oct 19, 09, 9:44 am

Programs: DL Silver (ew), SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
AA allows L + W + H = 45", you've got 22 + 18 + 10 = 50". Probably close enough that you'll be able to sneak it on, but if not, at least you won't have to pay a checked bag fee flying in J.
Old Oct 19, 09, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by farrish11 View Post
AA allows L + W + H = 45", you've got 22 + 18 + 10 = 50". Probably close enough that you'll be able to sneak it on, but if not, at least you won't have to pay a checked bag fee flying in J.
I agree. If BA lets you on with it, I think it's unlikely that AA will not. AA is pretty lax about enforcing its carry on rules.
Old Oct 19, 09, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG
Insight from someone who flies regularly through Toronto would be helpful. My understanding from a friend who made a similar trip to yours last week was that he and his family were not treated as "transit" passengers and they had to go through Canadian customs and then go through check in with AA as if they were starting off in Toronto.

As you are in J they probably will not be picky and.... if the system in Toronto is anything like Montreal's you first check in with AA and then go through US Immigration (pre-clearance) with all your bags and then hand off the checked bags to the luggage conveyor belt handlers. Even if your bag were ticketed by AA personnel outside, you could just not hand off your bag and proceed with it through security. It is highly unlikely that anyone would question your bag size at that point or at the gate.
Old Oct 20, 09, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Oceanrider View Post
Insight from someone who flies regularly through Toronto would be helpful. My understanding from a friend who made a similar trip to yours last week was that he and his family were not treated as "transit" passengers and they had to go through Canadian customs and then go through check in with AA as if they were starting off in Toronto.
Although I do not have first hand experience, I am pretty sure this is the case. The OP will have to clear Canadian immigration and customs, followed immediately by US immigration and customs (which is handled upon departure from YYZ, not upon arrival in the U.S.).
Old Oct 20, 09, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MrsGG View Post
Hello,

On BA, we can have one bag of 22ins x 18ins x 10ins as hand luggage and one laptop type bag each.

If we both have these will we have any issues on AA flying from Toronto.

If we get away with just hand luggage on BA, I do not really wish to check in a bag at Toronto.

Flying business on AA (if that makes a difference)

Thank you.
MrsGG, do you also have a purse? It would definitely be against AA rules to have a purse, a laptop, AND the 22ins luggage. Not saying that you might not be able to sneak by with it.... I certainly have, but it can make matters easier to just place the purse in one of the bags before passing any authority figure .

Also, some of us HAVE had our carry-on sized by AA GAs. It's unusual but it does sometimes happen.
Old Oct 20, 09, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl View Post

Also, some of us HAVE had our carry-on sized by AA GAs. It's unusual but it does sometimes happen.
Agree. While AA is surprisingly lax on enforcing carry-on bag size, their MIA station has been incredibly diligent about checking size lately. I have not boarded a single flight out of MIA in the last month where they didn't size every bag. I doubt the OP will have a problem in YYZ, but coming back out of MIA may be an issue (assuming you are flying AA).
Old Oct 21, 09, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG
Originally Posted by cmhua777 View Post
I have not boarded a single flight out of MIA in the last month where they didn't size every bag.
What concourse are you using? Mrs. Oceanrider and I have flown 5 times out of MIA in the last month - each time with at the limit bags (or slightly larger)- and never been sized.
Old Oct 21, 09, 1:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Mariott Titanium UA Gold NEXUS

As you are in J they probably will not be picky and.... if the system in Toronto is anything like Montreal's you first check in with AA and then go through US Immigration (pre-clearance) with all your bags and then hand off the checked bags to the luggage conveyor belt handlers. Even if your bag were ticketed by AA personnel outside, you could just not hand off your bag and proceed with it through security. It is highly unlikely that anyone would question your bag size at that point or at the gate.
Completely correct. Clear Canadian Customs in Toronto, walk upstairs to the AA counter, check in, then "pre clear" to the US - you carry your bags through with you if you were checking them. You'll probably be OK with that carry on. I had a couple slightly larger than allowed carry ons on AA on my way to LAX and ORD and BOS over the last few years, never a question (on award and paid Y).

However, don't not hand off your bag if it does get tagged, because they'll think its lost and cause a hassle.
Old Oct 21, 09, 2:31 pm

if the system in Toronto is anything like Montreal's you first check in with AA and then go through US Immigration (pre-clearance) with all your bags and then hand off the checked bags to the luggage conveyor belt handlers. Even if your bag were ticketed by AA personnel outside, you could just not hand off your bag and proceed with it through security. It is highly unlikely that anyone would question your bag size at that point or at the gate.
I fly in YYZ once a year and the process for checking bags is exactly that you go to the AA desk check in, complete your immigration form, stand in line go through US Customs, clear that and had your bags off then go through security. It is pretty simple and efficient. Always have had great service with AA traveling in and out of YYZ.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: