Clarification: Bending the Award Rules

Old Oct 18, 09, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Clarification: Bending the Award Rules

I've read the Wiki and can't find the info I want, and searched the forum.

Here's the situation.

- Two one-way awards, domestic.

- Availability on one day -- seats open, not optimal times. Other flights available, just no award seats in the award fare class I'm using. Not enough miles to do the better times.

- Availability next day: nothing in fare class.

What's my options to "work the system" to get on an optimal flight, either same day or next day?
Old Oct 18, 09, 9:26 pm

Book the award for your desired date but nondesirable flight, then hope for either award inventory opening up or standby at the airport for the same day desirable flight.
Old Oct 18, 09, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
AA (supposedly) offers expanded availability for EXP, but not for PLT. So aside from the standby and availability-checking tips offered by ckpeter, I don't think there's much OP can do to "work the system."
Old Oct 19, 09, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Smile

Originally Posted by ckpeter View Post
Book the award for your desired date but nondesirable flight, then hope for either award inventory opening up or standby at the airport for the same day desirable flight.
Best and only advice.
Old Oct 19, 09, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Ok, thanks guys. Just as I thought.

Another question I can't figure out:

I remember reading that you can avoid the close-date ticketing fees by ticketing for a far-off date then changing the date for free. Is this still the case?
Old Oct 19, 09, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by jws026 View Post
I remember reading that you can avoid the close-date ticketing fees by ticketing for a far-off date then changing the date for free. Is this still the case?
Some have reported success with this. Others, not.
Old Oct 19, 09, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Well, there is "same day flight change", if no award seats open up and this is domestic

Note: Passengers traveling on unrestricted fares (Y, B, H) and AAdvantage AAnytime travel awards have the flexibility to change flight arrangements at no charge. Passengers traveling on AAdvantage MileSAAver awards continue to have the flexibility to change the date and/or time of their flights at no charge, provided award seats are available on the desired flight. If award seats are not available on the desired flight, you may obtain a confirmed seat on the same day by paying the $50 charge.
Old Oct 19, 09, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by videomaker View Post
Some have reported success with this. Others, not.

How so, in terms of those who haven't?
Old Oct 19, 09, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by jws026 View Post
How so, in terms of those who haven't?
There was another thread that discussed this. IIRC, some who tried to move the reservation closer in encountered AAgents who then wanted to charge them the expedite fee.

OK, here's the other thread.
Old Oct 19, 09, 11:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Well, there is "same day flight change", if no award seats open up and this is domestic

Note: Passengers traveling on unrestricted fares (Y, B, H) and AAdvantage AAnytime travel awards have the flexibility to change flight arrangements at no charge. Passengers traveling on AAdvantage MileSAAver awards continue to have the flexibility to change the date and/or time of their flights at no charge, provided award seats are available on the desired flight. If award seats are not available on the desired flight, you may obtain a confirmed seat on the same day by paying the $50 charge.
hmm, for $50? in this case, i'd just write off the $50 as part of the fees of using miles. I've paid the $100 or so expidite fee, sure i'd rather not pay it, but I had an emergency and the miles saved me from having to pay a walk up fare of at least $1500, so the $100 to expidite the award was no big deal.
Old Oct 20, 09, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
hmm, for $50? in this case, i'd just write off the $50 as part of the fees of using miles. I've paid the $100 or so expidite fee, sure i'd rather not pay it, but I had an emergency and the miles saved me from having to pay a walk up fare of at least $1500, so the $100 to expidite the award was no big deal.
This only works if "E" class is available when you call 12 hours or less before flight time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: