Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MR's for EXP or settle for PLT

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
EXP is overrated and I strongly encourage all PLT's to stay at that level. The free domestic upgrades and SWU's are overrated - because after all its space available. The EXP line is also overrated - you won't even get an EXP agent just by calling the number unless you enter in your EXP number from the card. The proactive calls from AA customer service telling people about delayed or cancelled flights can be quite irritating to some. After all, if I'm sitting in my office or at home, why would I want to get interrupted?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
EXP is overrated and I strongly encourage all PLT's to stay at that level. The free domestic upgrades and SWU's are overrated - because after all its space available. The EXP line is also overrated - you won't even get an EXP agent just by calling the number unless you enter in your EXP number from the card. The proactive calls from AA customer service telling people about delayed or cancelled flights can be quite irritating to some. After all, if I'm sitting in my office or at home, why would I want to get interrupted?

The problem is if you have the FT gene, once you try EXP once, it's hard to stop and you'll likely go for it next year, and the year after, and so on.....

OP, asking an FT'er about whether a mile run is warranted, is like asking a drug addict about drugs -- not the most unbiased audience here. 15K in actual miles on a plane IS a lot and will be both time away from home and $ out of your pocket....only do it, if the benefits for you outweigh the costs.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 1:07 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
OP, asking an FT'er about whether a mile run is warranted, is like asking a drug addict about drugs -- not the most unbiased audience here.
Horse hockey! I can quit any time I want. In fact, we're not flying again until...Friday...

Cheers.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
A most sensible post:-:, indeed, the idea that we get a reduced rate (or perhap, free) AC access, expanded award inventory that heaven forbid, we need to ask the EP desk about is just not worth it as noted with the other "pseduo benefits" listed above. As a matter of fact, I think that people who cheer lead EP status are just top tier elites from other airlines (i.e. UA 1K or the like) trying to get us to stay away.

Safe Travels
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Thank you thank you for pointing this out. Like many of y'all I had not even thought of these points. I am going to contact AA CS and get them to take back 30k of my EQMs so I will be PLT next year. After all, I will achieve 2MM 3 weeks from now when I return to SFO from NBO, so I will never again have to worry about lack of AA elite status. I will have to donate the 4 SWUs as they don't mean much.
BUT, don't PM me asking me for any SWUs y'all, I'll contact you.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Well if all the other posts didn't convince you already, I definitely say it's worth doing a pure MR to get EXP status. That's exactly what I'm doing this weekend (LAX-JFK-SJU return).

If you are financially flush and want to do your MR in style, the best premium class values are to Caribbean and Central America. Ex-LAX you can often find 14,000+ DEQM runs in premium class for $800 - $1300 round trip. And, if you choose the right discounted fare bucket you can take advantage of some computer loopholes to travel in F class on 3-cabin aircraft.

However, I know from personal experience that a same day or 1-day turnaround to a Caribbean island looks awfully suspicious to ICE when you return...especially AUA...even with my Global Entry participation.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by cover point
AA had a $900 all inclusive fare from ORD - DEL later this month.

thats 30K EQM with the promotion ... a pretty good deal I would say.

u do need an Indian visa though
What dates? I could not find it.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Better watch out, though. It gets addictive. 123k of the 125k EQM that I'll end the year with at AA will be through MRs. And I didn't even do it for the status, EVIPs or upgrades (although I'll take them). I did it for the 270k RDM that I'll earn after a AA myriad of promotions this year.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM); BD *G; HH Diamond
Do you even like to fly?

No, I'm not being silly. Some people just hate being on a plane. It's 12 hours in a tiny seat, in a metal tube, at 39,000 feet. Twice

Just so the next time you fly, you can be in a similar metal tube for 12 hours, you can be in the somewhat bigger seats in the middle cabin.

Yeah, there's some other perks. Flagship/First Lounges are nice. The EXP desk has gotten me home when others have been offered distressed rate hotel vouchers. The upgrades are front and center of the EXP program, however.

You're talking about at least one weekend- very likely two- away from home, stuck in a plane, spending money, and flinging yourself to a foreign land.

And you want to do this to yourself, and get back on a plane three hours later, for EXP?

Not worth it.

Now, AA has a nice fare to Singapore from Chicago. Go, stay a few days. Eat some crabs. Grab a Singapore Sling at the Raffles. (I hate the thing. People still go for it.) Maybe take a night safari at the zoo. Play some golf. Bring something nice for your wife from Orchard Road.

Don't just spend 48 hours on a plane to see the airport. EXP isn't worth that.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by spsawant
What dates? I could not find it.
it was some random dates i checked earlier (OCt 27 return nov 10)

i just checked again and now $906 fare is available leaving Nov 4th ... and returning in 10 days.

try different combos for your trip and see what you get
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by cover point
it was some random dates i checked earlier (OCt 27 return nov 10)

i just checked again and now $906 fare is available leaving Nov 4th ... and returning in 7 days.

try different combos for your trip and see what you get
Mileage run around these dates (stay under a couple of days ) shows up around $1000.

i think the first fare i checked may have a 7 day stay requirement or somethng
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by StrandedinSC
Do you even like to fly?

No, I'm not being silly. Some people just hate being on a plane. It's 12 hours in a tiny seat, in a metal tube, at 39,000 feet. Twice

Just so the next time you fly, you can be in a similar metal tube for 12 hours, you can be in the somewhat bigger seats in the middle cabin.

Yeah, there's some other perks. Flagship/First Lounges are nice. The EXP desk has gotten me home when others have been offered distressed rate hotel vouchers. The upgrades are front and center of the EXP program, however.

Now, AA has a nice fare to Singapore from Chicago. Go, stay a few days. Eat some crabs. Grab a Singapore Sling at the Raffles. (I hate the thing. People still go for it.) Maybe take a night safari at the zoo. Play some golf. Bring something nice for your wife from Orchard Road.

Don't just spend 48 hours on a plane to see the airport. EXP isn't worth that.
hmm, status and premium cabin seats are rather nice and I'd do a few MRs to maintain at least mid-tier. I got to fly UA intl F this year and the tranquility of the whole experience was unforgettable.

From being the only person in the F check in line (versus 300 in the coach line), then getting to use first class security line (so peaceful, and pax in these lines know what they're doing), and then going to relax in the F lounge, have some breakfast, have some wine, go take a shower, surf the internet, read some newspapers, then having the lounge attendant come get you when your flight is boarding, getting to cut to the front of the line for F boarding, sitting in the nose of the 747, a whole suite to myself, all the legroom I could want, a lie flat bed to take a nap in, power plug to plug in my laptop, a virtual buffet of food, then upon landing, be treated to a shower upon arrival after immigration and a free dinner in the F lounge, and then a free bonus of domestic F to my home city (albeit on a commuter jet).

It's not just the more comfortable seat or the better service. It's the whole package that makes F (or even J) worth it to do some MRs in coach so that in the future, your travels can be so much more peaceful. Though when MRing, a small visit to the city at ur destination should be done, you did after all arrive there, and may as well go take a look.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by clacko
iirc [its been a few years since i stretched my social security to exp], but i think that you get 8 swu's [evip's], each is worth $350 if you or family/friends can use them for intl flight ug's or $50 for domestic [also save some mi's on the ug's].....so do the math....plus, you get ug's for no stickers, altho not confirmed....good luck...
Worth $50 domestic? By what calculation?
It cost $60 in stickers just to get 1000 miles worth of upgrades if not EXP
Old Oct 20, 2009, 3:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by brp
Horse hockey! I can quit any time I want. In fact, we're not flying again until...Friday...

Cheers.
LOL!

I admit that I was a saddened when it hit me that I had no OW flights on the horizon for the rest of this year.

And then my boss told me that I will be going to London next month. My heart raced, my palms got sweaty. Granted it's just a short hop from FRA, but images of the BA F lounge at LHR Terminal 5 are dancing through my head.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Friday seems a long way away. Thankfully, we're flying tomorrow. Granted, it's only a bit over 4,000 miles, but it should keep the withdrawal symptoms at bay for a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.