FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Kiosk Check-In Problem with AAdvantage Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1006274-kiosk-check-problem-aadvantage-card.html)

bspraetz Oct 15, 2009 12:59 pm

Kiosk Check-In Problem with AAdvantage Card

On my last trip the self check-in kiosk was unable to locate my itinerary after scanning in my AAdvantage card. I had to manually enter my flght info on the outbound, but just my first name on the return. I think this has something to do with the fact that my full name has never shown on the kiosk after scanning my card. It always displays 'Fm Last' (F being first initial, m being middle initial and last being last name). This has always worked OK in the past. My theory is that this may have something to so with the new Secure Flight rules (name not matching).

I have two questions.

1. Has anyone else experienced this recently? (AAdvantage customer service doesn't have a clue and told me to ask at the airport next time it happens)

2. Does you full name appear on the display after scanning your card?

docr775 Oct 15, 2009 1:07 pm

The last two flights i took, I had to input the destination on the touch screen when I used my AAdvantage card. I figured maybe the card has demagnetized, since it used to show my full name, now only first initial and last name. I guess I am not alone with this problem.

Homeboy Oct 15, 2009 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by bspraetz (Post 12651297)
1. Has anyone else experienced this recently? (AAdvantage customer service doesn't have a clue and told me to ask at the airport next time it happens)

I've encountered the same problems recently with kiosk check-in, though not at every location (e.g. problems in STL but not CMH). My full name has never appeared, just "Fm Last" like the OP.

Additionally, I find that I can no longer check-in via mobile.aa.com. The full html site is no problem however.

videomaker Oct 15, 2009 1:18 pm

Something similar happened to me. It seems it was -after- I updated my AAdvantage account online to include middle name, but not 100% sure there's a connection.

seadoes Oct 15, 2009 1:22 pm

I have had the exact same issue on my last 4 flights. The night before it started I completed my middle name, birthday & sex for the nonsense TSA secure flight. My first, middle and last name appear on the AAdvantage card although when i swipe it, only first initial, middle initial and full last name appear. Just use a credit card and the issue is fixed :rolleyes:

kkirk2 Oct 15, 2009 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by seadoes (Post 12651466)
I have had the exact same issue on my last 4 flights. The night before it started I completed my middle name, birthday & sex for the nonsense TSA secure flight. My first, middle and last name appear on the AAdvantage card although when i swipe it, only first initial, middle initial and full last name appear. Just use a credit card and the issue is fixed :rolleyes:

+1

Whenever I use my EXP card i have to enter flight info. My admirals club card pulls my flights up no problem.

videomaker Oct 15, 2009 3:47 pm

You'd think the AAdvantage cards would have the FF number on the magnetic strip and be able to find an itinerary that way in the brilliantly-programmed kiosks. Maybe not.

Pedler Oct 15, 2009 4:15 pm

FWIW I have not had problems when I just type in my AA# in lue of swiping anything...

Originally Posted by Homeboy (Post 12651423)
Additionally, I find that I can no longer check-in via mobile.aa.com. The full html site is no problem however.

I have also had this problem, which was discueed in another thread a while back. It seems to only occur when you are logged in. If you take the not logged in route and type in your PNR and last name it works fine... Its also not consitent as to who this occurs to.

Rodraid Oct 15, 2009 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by bspraetz (Post 12651297)

I have two questions.

Yes it has happened to me on my last couple of trips. I think it started right after I update my profile with middle name, age whatever else they asked for. I used a AA Citi credit card on my flight home last week and it worked without asking the questions to find it.

Rodraid

millionmiler Oct 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Yes this started happening to me a few weeks ago. Now every time I check in I have to enter my details.

brp Oct 15, 2009 6:45 pm

I'd suggest that all the folks having this problem write to AA. Sure seems to be a glitch that happened as a result of entering the new TSA-required information, but something that should be easy (one would think) to fix if enough people make them aware of it.

Cheers.

Happy Oct 15, 2009 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pedler (Post 12652714)
FWIW I have not had problems when I just type in my AA# in lue of swiping anything...

Me too. It seems much easier for me to type in my AA number than fishing out whatever card to swipe. It works every time.

bspraetz Oct 19, 2009 8:49 pm

Happen again on my outbound. I'll try typing in my AA# on the way home.

TheDudeAbides Oct 19, 2009 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 12653575)
I'd suggest that all the folks having this problem write to AA. Sure seems to be a glitch that happened as a result of entering the new TSA-required information, but something that should be easy (one would think) to fix if enough people make them aware of it.

Cheers.

I second brp's recommendation to write to AA. This has happened to me since I entered my M.I. and other info on AA.com to comply with the new TSA rules. I will write to AA. This certainly should (and can?) be fixed prior to receiving our renewal cards.

nrr Oct 19, 2009 11:15 pm

If I manually enter my aa ff number, most of the time it does NOT locate the itn, especially if I am checking in before midnight and flying after midnight. It is easier to use the locator, which always works.
[In LAS (Vegas), there are two types of kiosks (1)dedicated aa terminals (near the check-in area) and (2) universal kiosks, these allow check in for over a dozen airlines--these have no slot for swiping an aa card.]