BA Gold or AA advantage

Old Oct 15, 09, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
BA Gold or AA advantage

I have a BA Gold card and I am located in Montreal and I do sometimes cross atlantic travel on BA only and all my North American travel on AA.

I noticed that AA advantage has less redemption miles award level than BA for example: NA to Europe in First is 125k while on BA is 150k.

Is is worth it to switch to AAadvantage and leave BA Gold Executive card or I am better off with my BA gold card ?

FYI I still can earn AA miles for travel on BA direct flights to Canada from Europe but with BA I can't earn AA miles from Europe to CANADA since I have to connect my flgiht via the USA and BA does not award miles for travel on AA across the atalntic.
Old Oct 15, 09, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LH/LX View Post
I have a BA Gold card and I am located in Montreal and I do sometimes cross atlantic travel on BA only and all my North American travel on AA.

I noticed that AA advantage has less redemption miles award level than BA for example: NA to Europe in First is 125k while on BA is 150k.

Is is worth it to switch to AAadvantage and leave BA Gold Executive card or I am better off with my BA gold card ?

FYI I still can earn AA miles for travel on BA direct flights to Canada from Europe but with BA I can't earn AA miles from Europe to CANADA since I have to connect my flgiht via the USA and BA does not award miles for travel on AA across the atalntic.
I would select the program that it is easiest to get/maintain status with, given your flying pattern. If you tend to fly a lot in paid business/first class, that would probably be BA. If not, probably AA. A spreadsheet analysis is in order. List off every flight taken this year, the credit toward status under the BA scheme, and under the AA scheme.

If you find you would arrive at a comparable status level under either programme, then look at the benefits of each programme. The benefits of each status level for AA are listed on AA.com - for example, Emerald will get you 8 SWUs per year, each one valid for up to 3 segments. I'm not as familiar with BA's programme, but I'm sure you are.

We can't really tell you which programme to choose, as we don't know your flying patterns or what is important to you.

If you would like, though, I'm sure somebody will tell you which one would be better for them.
Old Oct 15, 09, 9:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
What class do you fly?

If you are paying for F in North America I don't see why you would want to do AA. After all, with a BA card you get AC access, priority check-in, etc..

If you are flying Y in North America you are missing out on potential upgrades by not being AA elite.
Old Oct 15, 09, 11:15 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LH/LX View Post
This is an apples and oranges comparison. You need to compare how many (typical for you) trips it takes to accumulate 125k and 150k, respectively, to know which programme is better for you redemption-wise.
Old Oct 15, 09, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
What class do you fly?
On most of the times. I fly business class on BA from Canada to europe and beyond and First class on AA on north american flights.

The number of trips I do to Europe and Far east are greater than my travel in North america.
Old Oct 18, 09, 6:06 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
AAdvantage for their Business and First OneWorld AAWards alone

Then an Amex Platinum for Admirals Club access in USA
Old Oct 18, 09, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking View Post
This is an apples and oranges comparison. You need to compare how many (typical for you) trips it takes to accumulate 125k and 150k, respectively, to know which programme is better for you redemption-wise.
It will vary a little but in the vast majority of cases AAdvantage miles are much easier to accumulate and will require less expenditure.
Old Oct 18, 09, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Another consideration, if you intend to book award tickets, is that BA will hit you with fuel surcharges while AA will not. Here's one of many threads discussing those charges on the BA forum:
$587.87 in taxes and fees for F ticket
Old Oct 18, 09, 1:18 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by UncleDude View Post
...Then an Amex Platinum for Admirals Club access in USA
Only after BA status has dropped below Silver (Sapphire) until which time the BA card is good for admittance.

If you're flying mainly in J and F anyway, you wouldn't especially need Emerald (BA Gold or AA EXP) in either FF plan, so depending on your flight frequencies, you might look at staying at Sapphire in BOTH plans, in order to use things like easy MFUs for BA flights and still get the Plat/EXP bonuses for travel with AA. You could allocate your TATL miles to BA and NA miles to AA, again, depending on how much you really fly.
Old Oct 18, 09, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Only after BA status has dropped below Silver (Sapphire) until which time the BA card is good for admittance.

If you're flying mainly in J and F anyway, you wouldn't especially need Emerald (BA Gold or AA EXP) in either FF plan, so depending on your flight frequencies, you might look at staying at Sapphire in BOTH plans, in order to use things like easy MFUs for BA flights and still get the Plat/EXP bonuses for travel with AA. You could allocate your TATL miles to BA and NA miles to AA, again, depending on how much you really fly.
FL access when going via JFK, MIA, ORD or LAX is a benefit BA Gold will get him that BA Silver won't.

Last edited by JumboD; Oct 19, 09 at 8:17 am
Old Oct 18, 09, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by JumboD View Post
FL access when going via JFK, MIA, ORD, DFW or LAX is a benefit BA Gold will get him that BA Silver won't.
Hi,

There is no Flagship Lounge in DFW IIRC.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 18, 09, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,

Regards

TBS
You're absolutely right, IDK why I thought they'd put one in.
Old Oct 18, 09, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Being from the UK and having passed through DFW a few times, I would have thought it would have been an obvious choice for a Flagship lounge.

Still the Admirals clubs @DFW are very nice clubs.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 18, 09, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA, US, SPG, Hilton, Avis
Hi,

Being from the UK and having passed through DFW a few times, I would have thought it would have been an obvious choice for a Flagship lounge.

Still the Admirals clubs @DFW are very nice clubs.

Regards

TBS
This has been speculated many times, but I think the best assumed reason why is there is not enough Int F class passengers from other OW airlines in DFW, as I believe BA is the only other OW airline for pax service at DFW, and they have a lounge there...
Old Oct 19, 09, 4:22 am

Hi,

Originally Posted by JumboD View Post
You're absolutely right, IDK why I thought they'd put one in.
Hi,

For some time, there was: at first a temporary one (near A25, where the NRSA lounge is now), and then the short-lived "permanent" one inside the new AC near A23. The A AC was the first to contain both Arrivals and Flagship Lounges, both reached with separate card access inside the AC as happens today at LAX and JFK. It also had a large Platinum Service Center downstairs adjacent.

Nowadays, there is enough space in D to do a really nice revived FL, should the market warrant it.

Search this Thread