EXP:Should I Have Been Upgraded???

Old Oct 14, 09, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, Wyndham Diamond, LQ Diamond, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver
EXP:Should I Have Been Upgraded???

I am on the first day of MR today. DFW-ATL-MIA. Already been upgraded on all legs. Flight from DFW-ATL cancelled due to mechanical. Next flight won't get me to ATL in time to catch ticketed MIA flight. Go to AC, rebooked on next ATL flight and the next ATL-MIA flight scheduled after the original. New flight scheduled to land in ATL 15 mins before original. Ground Delay Program in effect for ATL, we take off late, that means the original ATL-MIA flight will be late also. I get to ATL, MIA flight still at the gate, as it was delayed 20 mins. I get a seat on the original ATL-MIA flight and ask the GA if an upgrade is still avail. GA says no, gives me 20D. As I board (I was the 4th from last on), there are 4-5 seats in F empty, all but 2 bulkhead empty, 2 exit row seats empty, yet I was never offered any of those. After the door closed, I ran to the bulkhead row and sat by myself.

I didn't care that much about F on this flight. However, my question is 'should I have been given F on this flight (my original seat was empty during the flight) or at least a better seat, or is there some kind of premium seat cutoff that I didn't know about, due to the delay'?
Old Oct 14, 09, 5:15 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
In general, if you are not there a certain amount of time (maybe 10 or 15 minutes) from the originally-scheduled departure time, your upgraded seat will be given away. The flight being delayed doesn't affect this. So that part was right.

Since there were still seats available, you should have been given an upgrade provided that the seat was catered. As you were close to departure and the seat was empty, it is certainly possible that it was not. Also, a GA wanting to get a flight closed out on time may not be able to process an upgrade.

Stuff happens.

Cheers.
Old Oct 14, 09, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Total Rewards PLT, Starbucks GLD
My guess is that the flight was not catered for any more than the number of passengers that were in F. AA will not clear upgrades beyond what is catered for the flight.
Old Oct 14, 09, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
You lost the upgrade on the original ATL-MIA flight when rebooked to the later flight.

Were you on the airport upgrade list in ATL?

Anyway, sounds like you could/should have been upgraded if there were empty seats in F. Also sounds like a lazy (or harried?) gate agent didn't make it happen.

As for catering, that's a pretty short flight with no meal service.
Old Oct 14, 09, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by aamilesslave View Post
My guess is that the flight was not catered for any more than the number of passengers that were in F. AA will not clear upgrades beyond what is catered for the flight.
How much catering is needed from ATL to MIA? The flight is only 595 miles.
Old Oct 14, 09, 5:22 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Usually on those they just give you a bag of peanuts .... I've noticed a lot of times too the GA will tell me "First class has checked in full" before clearing my upgrade. I suppose sometimes people check in on aa.com or whatever the night before and then they don't board the plane ... but the upgrade probably still should ahve been processed.

I had an issue with upgrade once and I took it to customer relations. It took them 7-10 days, but you can request for them to investigate the standby process to see why you didn't get the upgrade. I'd be interested in knowing the results of that
Old Oct 14, 09, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
How much catering is needed from ATL to MIA? The flight is only 595 miles.
And doesn't AA cater for a full F cabin domestically anyway. Except for JAX-DFW last week, I haven't seen an empty seat in F all year.
Old Oct 14, 09, 5:38 pm

Programs: LT NoN REV
Originally Posted by aamilesslave View Post
in my experiences on a few s/b segments (on md-80; refering to departures from lga & dfw), the GAs did not bother to grant me the upgrade and assigned me in Y ... but after the door was closed,
i've asked the FA if there was vacant seats in F, they said yes and also asked them if they had extra catering to cover, they replied yes.
I've seen a handful of lousy and least to say lazy GAs.
Old Oct 14, 09, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by videomaker View Post
Anyway, sounds like you could/should have been upgraded if there were empty seats in F. Also sounds like a lazy (or harried?) gate agent didn't make it happen.
Do we really have a right to be placed on the airport upgrade list after the airport upgrade list has been processed? I thought the answer was no, although obviously GAs can make something happen if they want to.
Old Oct 14, 09, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Original OP, did you at least get a snack and glass of wine for free in coach?

Thread - Hijacked!
Old Oct 14, 09, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, Wyndham Diamond, LQ Diamond, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver
You lost the upgrade on the original ATL-MIA flight when rebooked to the later flight.

Were you on the airport upgrade list in ATL?

As for catering, that's a pretty short flight with no meal service.

I wasn't on the upgrade list in ATL, I didn't even have a seat on that flight. I just went from T12-T11 to see if I could still get on the flight since it was late. They were boarding Group 4 when I got there. Even if I couldn't get F because of catering or it was closed, I think she at least could have asked if I wanted 7A, B, C, or D since they were all empty!

I guess in hindsight, I should have kept my ATL-MIA BP on the chance I would make it in time and if not get scheduled on the next one then.

Also, our first canceled flight was about half full, with only 6 in F. I know they did have a mechanical, but I am thinking that only being half full could have made it easier for them to cancel.
Old Oct 14, 09, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by envgeo View Post
Original OP, did you at least get a snack and glass of wine for free in coach?

Thread - Hijacked!
Negative!!!! Was going to post that on the other thread later.
Old Oct 14, 09, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Ready2Go View Post
Do we really have a right to be placed on the airport upgrade list after the airport upgrade list has been processed? I thought the answer was no, although obviously GAs can make something happen if they want to.
Yes, the GA could have made it happen. And didn't. But since they were about to close the flight and they are usually pretty short staffed at the gate, it appears the easiest thing for the GA to do was pick any random seat in Y.
Old Oct 14, 09, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA PRO / LT GLD, UA SLV, MR/Bonvoy LT Ti, IHG GLD, Hertz 5 Star, Enterprise EC Exec Elite
Yes, the GA could have made it happen. And didn't. But since they were about to close the flight and they are usually pretty short staffed at the gate, it appears the easiest thing for the GA to do was pick any random seat in Y.
I had this happen about a year ago DFW-SAT. When I saw the BP was in coach, I asked the GA if F was full since I had requested an upgrade. She didn't quite fully suppress a frown and was clearly annoyed that I had asked--I politely insisted, she relented and I got the upgrade (without delaying the flight). In another similar case, the GA simply walked down the jetway with me and told the FA to seat me in any F seat just before he closed the door--I do not know, but assume he took care of processing the upgrade after walking back up the jetway (if at all).

Unless you're extraordinarily late to the gate, I've found that being nice and asking firmly are quite effective.

ymmv

cheers!
Old Oct 15, 09, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
In a rush to departure, I have seen FA"s tell passengers to take any seat (in their cabin). I don't think it would have been too difficult to get the passenger into a FC seat and then do the paperwork.

Search this Thread