FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   First Upgrading - Four Legs all cleared on a hold (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1005239-first-upgrading-four-legs-all-cleared-hold.html)

Hamilton guy Oct 12, 2009 7:40 pm

First Upgrading - Four Legs all cleared on a hold

Thinking about going to Tucson over Christmas and new years with Mrs Hamilton Guy. I can get yyz-dfw-tus 26/12 - 10/1 for about $800.00 each way. But I need my boss's OK tomorrow, so I put the booking on hold, but I phone the EXP desk and say can you upgrade me. All four legs upgraded on the spot :D We are 4 E&F all the way^^

Now all I need is for the boos to say yes :eek:

videomaker Oct 12, 2009 7:50 pm

Were those VIP upgrades, or how'd you do that two months out? :confused:

bdemaria Oct 12, 2009 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by videomaker (Post 12615242)
Were those VIP upgrades

Has to be eVIPs/SWU.

Blumie Oct 12, 2009 9:33 pm

How did you get to be EXP?

mvoight Oct 12, 2009 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 12616095)
Has to be eVIPs/SWU.

I am not shocked this would clear.

I am 1 for 1 on domestic (OK, North American) SWUs
I had one to burn and was heading for coach on a 763 return from a redeye 757 in FC, on a SFO-LAX-BOS MR.

OP: There is a very good chance of getting this kind of upgrade on the route you are flying. However, it is also useful to use something like Expert Flyer to know which flights can be upgraded before booking them.

videomaker Oct 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 12616272)
I am not shocked this would clear.

If it was an eVIP upgrade, I'm not, either.

So I was sort of wondering why it needed a new thread on FT. :confused:

JumboD Oct 12, 2009 9:54 pm

Did you inadvertently hold a YUP/KUP? $800 each way is a bit pricey for this route if it isn't fully flexible (must not be, hence the hold) and doesn't come with an instant upgrade.

videomaker Oct 12, 2009 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by JumboD (Post 12616362)
Did you inadvertently hold a YUP/KUP?

Wouldn't those show up online and allow seat selection in the F cabin? OP says he

Originally Posted by Hamilton guy (Post 12615109)
phone the EXP desk and say can you upgrade me. All four legs upgraded on the spot :D

JumboD Oct 12, 2009 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by videomaker (Post 12616456)
Wouldn't those show up online and allow seat selection in the F cabin? OP says he

That would have been my thought. However, I priced that route on that date and the only thing even near that price were the YUPs at $942 o/w. The regular coach fares are $4-500 o/w, which doesn't add up.

demkr Oct 12, 2009 10:55 pm

Well seeing that the OP is EXP and if he/she really booked Y fare, I would not blow the eVIPs on such a shorthaul. Use those for international flights--when you're really getting your money's worth!

My suggestion, if you still want to go with the purchase of the flexible Y fare and desire an "instant upgrade" for this route, is to just use your miles. Full fare economy requires only 5K miles one way for a total of 10K for the trip, with no copay.

Honest suggestion would be to go with the lowest avail fare and not blow miles or eVIPs. If you're booking more than a week out, this route should almost certainly clear.

Hamilton guy Oct 13, 2009 6:47 am

Hi Folks:

Sorry I should have included more detail. I used my EXP upgrade certs for this flight. I make EXP on points flying CX to HK and around Asia about 4 times a year and use my miles for my wife to come with me on a couple of those trips.

Since I rarely fly AA itself on business, I actually end up in danger of having the upgrade certs expire, so upgrading on a personal trip like this even though it is not particularly long haul is, for me a good use of the certs.

gemac Oct 13, 2009 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Hamilton guy (Post 12618822)
Hi Folks:

Sorry I should have included more detail. I used my EXP upgrade certs for this flight. I make EXP on points flying CX to HK and around Asia about 4 times a year and use my miles for my wife to come with me on a couple of those trips.

Since I rarely fly AA itself on business, I actually end up in danger of having the upgrade certs expire, so upgrading on a personal trip like this even though it is not particularly long haul is, for me a good use of the certs.

OK, now I understand. What you describe is something that is extremely routine, like being allowed to sit in the seat you reserved. The question you haven't yet answered is this one:

Originally Posted by videomaker (Post 12616339)
If it was an eVIP upgrade, I'm not, either.

So I was sort of wondering why it needed a new thread on FT. :confused: