Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Chicago Service Change?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President, Hilton Diamond
AA Chicago Service Change?

I've heard recently that in April of 2010 AA is planning on turning most, in country flights, out of ORD to RJ's by Eagle?

Anyone else heard this, any truth to the subject?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RobertClouse
I've heard recently that in April of 2010 AA is planning on turning most, in country flights, out of ORD to RJ's by Eagle?

Try the AA forum -- this has already been discussed.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:34 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow as the thread moves to our AA forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:42 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No - There will still be lots and lots of mainline flights.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:43 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

spend some time with this thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, the reality is that AA is adding several first class seats to its 25 existing CRJ-700s and redeploying them to ORD, plus adding another 22 first class configured CRJ-700s beginning next year, most of which will be based in ORD.

On top of that, nearly all of the new 738s (of which AA is taking about 84 new frames during 2009-11) are also going to be based at ORD to replace MD-80s.

The CRJ-700s will replace some mainline flights and will replace some 50-seat RJs in markets thought to require a larger airplane than 50 seats (and perhaps able to support some paid F). I expect to see fewer ERJ-145s and 140s and 135s in ORD as some of those planes move to MIA, DFW and NYC.

So there isn't any truth to the misinformation that AA is going to use only RJs on most of its domestic flights from ORD. The 50-seaters are becoming less relevant (as Boyd has predicted for about 10 years now) and the 70 seaters are becoming more prominent in Chicago. But a total of 47 CRJ-700s isn't anywhere near enough airplanes to serve ORD's domestic schedule - it will still require dozens of 738s, a bunch of 757s, some 763s and an occasional 777. Not to mention the MD-80s, which will still be around for quite a while.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President, Hilton Diamond
Excellent,

Thanks for the information and especially the link to the consolidated listing of segment changes!
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:30 pm

AA would have to purchase/lease several hundred RJ's, hire and train pilots real fast. They also need to plan on retireing a huge number of MD80's faster then planned and lay off a huge number of main line pilots.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Last month, AA announced an adjustments to their schedule to be put in place by Summer 2010, which would focus more on hub flying and would, in part, increase flying from ORD.

Per TB, the planned breakdown of flights at ORD after the adjustments:

•AA and its regional affiliates will operate 487
departures, a 13% increase.
173 AA Jet departures
64 CR7 departures
250 EMJ departures
•AA and its regional affiliates will serve 114
destinations, 97 domestic and 17 international,
a 16% increase in destinations.

It's certainly a good amount of AE traffic, but ORD already has a ton of AE traffic. The rumor that all domestic is going AE is clearly incorrect.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by ty97
Last month, AA announced an adjustments to their schedule to be put in place by Summer 2010, which would focus more on hub flying and would, in part, increase flying from ORD.

Per TB, the planned breakdown of flights at ORD after the adjustments:

•AA and its regional affiliates will operate 487
departures, a 13% increase.
173 AA Jet departures
64 CR7 departures
250 EMJ departures
•AA and its regional affiliates will serve 114
destinations, 97 domestic and 17 international,
a 16% increase in destinations.

It's certainly a good amount of AE traffic, but ORD already has a ton of AE traffic. The rumor that all domestic is going AE is clearly incorrect.

Part of this will be AA talking over most of L as DL moves to the NW area.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium and Delta Gold
Any chance AA takes over the SkyClub in L and converts it to AC? The walk from H/K AC to L kind of sucks.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:48 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by INDEXP
The walk from H/K AC to L kind of sucks.
Haven't been to HNL,have you?

Cheers.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by INDEXP
Any chance AA takes over the SkyClub in L and converts it to AC? The walk from H/K AC to L kind of sucks.
Over the years, there have been rumours/discussions that AA might someday convert the L club to an Admirals Club. Hope it happens.

Here's one for the wish list: A satellite Flagship Lounge in L. AA already features some widebody departures from the L4, L6 and L8 neighborhood, and that's a long haul from K18/20. Alternatively, a tunnel from K15 to L10 would be ideal.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by zman
Part of this will be AA talking over most of L as DL moves to the NW area.
I know that DL moving out is official., but is it official that AA will take over the L gates? I have only heard rumors of this so far.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:11 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ty97
I know that DL moving out is official., but is it official that AA will take over the L gates? I have only heard rumors of this so far.
Noting announced by AA, DL, or the chicago Department of Aviation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.