FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Sticker upgrade after rebook into Y booking code (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1005037-sticker-upgrade-after-rebook-into-y-booking-code.html)

ashill Oct 12, 2009 10:00 am

Sticker upgrade after rebook into Y booking code

I have a domestic trip booked in N with 500 mile upgrades requested (as a gold). Shortly after I booked it, there was a schedule change, so I called and got booked on a slightly different flight. The phone agent put in the Y booking code instead of N. Will 500 mile upgrades be deducted for this upgrade if it clears?

The "500-mile Upgrades Required per Person" field in the reservation on aa.com says "2", although it said "0" for a day or two after the rebooking happened.

I ask because I probably won't want to use the stickers for this flight in the end, but I'll stay on the upgrade list if it costs nothing.

I booked the flight about a month ago, the schedule change happened a day or two after the booking, and the flight is in 6 weeks.

HNL Oct 12, 2009 10:33 am

If the number of stickers is listed in the reservation on aa.com has anything other than 0, then they will be deducted.

vrbaba Oct 12, 2009 11:00 am

The agent rebooked you in Y, because it was probably easier for her. Thats why it showed 0 stickers required for upgrade for a few days. However, audit caught up and changed it to the appropriate inventory. This means stickers will be deducted. Also, you will be earning miles based on original booking code. If your flight was within the two days (when it showed 0 stickers required), you would have likely gotten a free upgrade (0 stickers) if you cleared.

AAerSTL Oct 12, 2009 2:08 pm

I had this problem back when I was GLD flying STL-SEA after a schedule change. The AAngel at the AC said the agent did not reissue the ticket to the proper inventor. I had requested upgrades but the stickers were pulled.

videomaker Oct 12, 2009 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL (Post 12610586)
I had this problem back when I was GLD flying STL-SEA after a schedule change. The AAngel at the AC said the agent did not reissue the ticket to the proper inventor. I had requested upgrades but the stickers were pulled.

The AAngel was correct. And the stickers were pulled as they should have been, based on the purchased fare class.

Occasionally, if a ticket gets changed into Y because of irrops or some other change, it might be possible to get upgraded without stickers. But that's not something I would count on.

brp Oct 13, 2009 9:06 am

And sometimes 'Y' isn't 'Y'

We were rebooked yesterday on UA for HNL-SFO as the AA flight was canceled. I called and was told that we were rebooked into 'Y'. So, mrs. brp had enough miles in her UA account for two upgrades from 'Y',but not from lower classes.

We were put on the list by a phone agent. At the gate, the GA said that she didn't have enough miles. I mentioned that it had booked into 'Y'. She said that it had booked into 'Y',but she could still see that they underlying fare basis was 'Q'. So, it would seem that the underlying fare basis can hang around in the record in some cases.

(F went out full anyway, so it didn't matter :))

Cheers.

HNL Oct 13, 2009 9:19 am

Originally Posted by brp (Post 12619751)
We were rebooked yesterday on UA for HNL-SFO as the AA flight was canceled. I called and was told that we were rebooked into 'Y'. So, mrs. brp had enough miles in her UA account for two upgrades from 'Y',but not from lower classes.

We were put on the list by a phone agent. At the gate, the GA said that she didn't have enough miles. I mentioned that it had booked into 'Y'. She said that it had booked into 'Y',but she could still see that they underlying fare basis was 'Q'. So, it would seem that the underlying fare basis can hang around in the record in some cases.

Cheers.

Does that mean that you flew c-c-c-c-oa.... I can't say it.

vrbaba Oct 13, 2009 9:21 am

Cheers.

It could be the way agreement is setup between AA and UA regarding rebooking on the other, or UA's systems are more real time (smarter?). But for AA, if it shows 'Y', it is indeed 'Y' until it is changed. AA will change the booking code accordingly only after the audit processes. However, if one is traveling on the day of (or the day after) rebooking, the code will remain Y for sticker purposes. The code will change when it comes to mileage earning. Even if you got the extra miles because of 'Y', it is subject to (and likely will) change. However, I havent heard of any stickers being pulled or experienced that for the only time it happened with me as a PLT. I think, in the end, they will likely the give the stickers back even if they take it after the flight anyways as one could argue that they requested the upgrade only because it was free at the time.

brp Oct 13, 2009 9:38 am

Originally Posted by HNL (Post 12619907)

Don't start with me, Hawai'i Boy :mad:

But, yeah, coach happens.

Cheers.

JDiver Oct 13, 2009 10:39 am

Good grief - the brp's flew :eek:onomy! (And now he's givin' you da stink eye, brah!)

Originally Posted by HNL (Post 12619907)

Yup, sometimes one really lucks out and gets Y bennies for a booking issue like this one, but more often not.

CaptainEasychord Oct 13, 2009 12:14 pm

So, it would seem that the underlying fare basis can hang around in the record in some cases.

Yeah, I tried something similar this year when I was rebooked the day of a flight due to a delay. I ended up on a JFK-GRU flight in Y when my original ticket was in Q. I asked three agents to upgrade me, and all three said it was no problem and that no co-pay was required. Then after a minute or two came the "Oh, wait..." and denial.