Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-LHR loaded as 757 starting April 2010

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PHL
I'm not sure what the fuss is over. On the 75L, there are a few select desirable economy seats for elites to try to snap up. That's no different than on a 763 or 777. If you don't get one of those seats, you're in a coach seat that's not unlike any other coach seat in all of AA's mainline fleet.

Up front, as has been said, the difference is zero. So, what's the real issue here? A trip across the Atlantic on a single aisle aircraft? I would argue that it's LESS cramped than a 763 since you have fewer people. 2 aisles dosn't really make a difference if you're in seat 32B. It's not like you'll ever use the aisle on the opposite side of the plane anyway.

CO, DL and US are flying 757's across the pond with great frequency from their hubs. AA, however, has the best J seating now when comparing the competition on the same fleet type.
I disagree. Each AC type has its pros and cons of course for each cabin and seat respectively.

On the 763, I find the J cabin superior to the 777 as it has the expanded catering, and purser service. However, the seat is considerably narrower than the 777 and 75L. In Y on the 763 I can select a seat in the mini cabin and have a relatively quiet ride, privacy, and easy viewing of the movie if I choose to watch it. Relatively easy to upgrade as there are 30 J seats

On the 777 of course there is the better J seat, and still good service and cater (minus the sundae toppings, dinner starter, salad cart, etc) and the service isn't performed by the purser. In F of course I can fly in the Flagship suite and have purser service and better catering. Finally, in Y the seats are superior to the 763 and 75L as they have adjustable headrests, PTVs (its a stretch to call it true AVOD, but an assortment of music, movies, and TV), and not to mention row 31. Had no problem upgrading last summer, 37 J seats.

The 75L, however is cramped, does not have room to walk around, fewer lavs, inferior entertainment options in Y at least, and just is not pleasant to fly on. Those are my complaints. If AA keeps the schedule as it is now (which is likely I guess), I'll have to evaluate my options and either connect in JFK or fly BA depending on their upgrade and mileage earning opportunities. 16 J seats, much harder to upgrade

Last edited by AAerSTL; Oct 11, 2009 at 1:15 pm Reason: add 75L detail
Old Oct 11, 2009, 1:20 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
BOS-ORD-LHR or BOS-DFW-LHR I would do.

BOS-LHR in 757? No thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by PHL
Up front, as has been said, the difference is zero.
It's small, but it's not zero. A third of the seats in the 763 are center aisle seats, where no one has to climb over you to get out. That's important to me, given how hard it is to climb in and out of the NGBC seats. I've almost always been successful getting one of these seats, and of course they don't exist on the 75L.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
I disagree. Each AC type has its pros and cons of course for each cabin and seat respectively.

On the 763, I find the J cabin superior to the 777 as it has the expanded catering, and purser service. However, the seat is considerably narrower than the 777 and 75L. In Y on the 763 I can select a seat in the mini cabin and have a relatively quiet ride, privacy, and easy viewing of the movie if I choose to watch it. Relatively easy to upgrade as there are 30 J seats

On the 777 of course there is the better J seat, and still good service and cater (minus the sundae toppings, dinner starter, salad cart, etc) and the service isn't performed by the purser. In F of course I can fly in the Flagship suite and have purser service and better catering. Finally, in Y the seats are superior to the 763 and 75L as they have adjustable headrests, PTVs (its a stretch to call it true AVOD, but an assortment of music, movies, and TV), and not to mention row 31. Had no problem upgrading last summer, 37 J seats.

The 75L, however is cramped, does not have room to walk around, fewer lavs, inferior entertainment options in Y at least, and just is not pleasant to fly on. Those are my complaints. If AA keeps the schedule as it is now (which is likely I guess), I'll have to evaluate my options and either connect in JFK or fly BA depending on their upgrade and mileage earning opportunities. 16 J seats, much harder to upgrade
These are my sentiments as well. I hope BA/AA ATI is approved

Sincerely Yours,
Miss Fobia Flying
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by zman
U usually have accurate info, but do u really think AA would use the so called valuable LHR slots to fly to non hub/non focus cities?
BA could be flying to Hartford or DTW (they use to fly there and gave up the route) today by re-allocating their LHR slots.
Absolutely.

When AA and BA and IB get ATI, they have total metal neutrality and will be sharing their LHR slots. Detroit is a large U.S.-Europe market that AA/BA/IB are currently absent from, and a 75L is a good way to connect to Detroit to their Heathrow hub.

Don't forget that AA/IB/BA will be sharing and maximizing their huge number of slots.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
So here's the real question: how much business will AA lose as a result of this switch. They will lose none of my business, as I have no problem originating my travel at JFK, flying BOS-JFK-LHR or flying in J on the 75L (I generally prefer to route through JFK so I can upgrade to F). I suspect many others of us feel the same way. And of course, once BA and AA begin codesharing on this route, many of us will be thrilled to fly BA and get AA miles (I still may route through JFK for upgrading opportunities). The only other competitor on this route is VS. VS is a fine airline, but how many of you are gonna make the switch? Or are you gonna switch to DL or CO and fly through ATL or EWR or somesuch nonsense?
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Absolutely.

When AA and BA and IB get ATI, they have total metal neutrality and will be sharing their LHR slots. Detroit is a large U.S.-Europe market that AA/BA/IB are currently absent from, and a 75L is a good way to connect to Detroit to their Heathrow hub.

Don't forget that AA/IB/BA will be sharing and maximizing their huge number of slots.
Who has better connections to the Middle East, BA or IB? I ask because if it's IB, it would almost make more sense to run DTW-MAD, as I'm sure there's a fair bit of traffic between Detroit and Middle Eastern cities.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by JumboD
Who has better connections to the Middle East, BA or IB? I ask because if it's IB, it would almost make more sense to run DTW-MAD, as I'm sure there's a fair bit of traffic between Detroit and Middle Eastern cities.
BA, by far. Iberia flies to Tel Aviv, and that's it.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
In that case, I definitely see the merits of DTW-LHR. Also, if this is more leisure/family travel, vs. business travel, the 75L makes a lot of sense as it has almost as many coach seats as a 763 (and more than a 777, IIRC).

Other routes I'd love to see as a result of this likely reallocation of resources are an AM/PM 75L/763 ERW-LHR and an AM JFK-CDG.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 4:18 pm
Suspended

RJ used to fly to DTW - not sure if they still do
Old Oct 11, 2009, 4:34 pm

Once BA/AA ATI is approved, which should happen by the end of the month, I would expect AA to discontinue the route entirely, and start using 75Ls on routes from Heathrow to smaller cities like Hartford and Detroit.
I would be thrilled to see BDL (Hartford) - LHR, but is it really likely, given the steady reduction in AA service at BDL over the past 2-3 years?
In fact, I would be thrilled to see BDL- anywhere new!

Happy Travels.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Blumie
So here's the real question: how much business will AA lose as a result of this switch. They will lose none of my business, as I have no problem originating my travel at JFK, flying BOS-JFK-LHR or flying in J on the 75L (I generally prefer to route through JFK so I can upgrade to F). I suspect many others of us feel the same way. And of course, once BA and AA begin codesharing on this route, many of us will be thrilled to fly BA and get AA miles (I still may route through JFK for upgrading opportunities). The only other competitor on this route is VS. VS is a fine airline, but how many of you are gonna make the switch? Or are you gonna switch to DL or CO and fly through ATL or EWR or somesuch nonsense?
I do this way too often to add 3-4 hours each way with a JFK stop, and also need schedule flexibility, which leaves only one choice: BA. I can buy WT+ for roughly the same price as a B fare on AA, and upgrade for about the same number of miles. The main difference is that if your upgrade doesn't clear on BA by something like 2 days before the flight, you're out of luck, whereas with AA you can go down to the wire. Before, the balance cut in favor of AA; now it will likely cut in favor of BA, because when the upgrade doesn't clear (which will likely be most of the time on AA after April), WT+ is a lot better than AA coach.

On the other hand, there is no value for me in BA status in this scenario (you can't waitlist upgrades so no priority there, and I am already lifetime Platinum on AA so I already have most of the benefits), so I will probably switch to being more opportunistic, taking AA when I can before April to use up my VIPs, then BA after that. AA has already lost my transcon business to VX because of the lack of internet access; I would have done some AA transcons next year to make sure I requalified for EXP, but now I won't bother because there just won't be enough value there for me going forward.

So the bottom line for me: AA will lose my BOS-LHR business from April forward (probably 8 r/t B fares), and about half my transcon business in the first half of the year (maybe another 8 r/t, mostly Y/KUPs).
Old Oct 11, 2009, 5:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA EXP
I fly this route monthly and am not terribly upset by this move....it you take away the issue of upgrades to J, I personally would prefer the 757 over the 767 economy. To me the only "good" seats in the rear of the 767 are 21 A/B and H/J 4 seats total....vs. the 757 which has 6 seats in row 18 with extra leg room and no bulkhead and also seats in row 9/10 so the 757 to me has overall more extra leg room seats then the 767. Also you get an extra inch or two of pitch in economy on the 757.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Not a direct comparison but having flown CO BE 757s EWR-LAX and other routes, the 16 seat J cabin would be quite OK especially for a short TATL flight. I definitely wouldn't add a connection to avoid the 757, and as others pointed out there are some very good Y seats to grab if one can't upgrade. Flying time BOS-LHR in the Winter can't be much more than 5 hours?
Old Oct 11, 2009, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Not a direct comparison but having flown CO BE 757s EWR-LAX and other routes, the 16 seat J cabin would be quite OK especially for a short TATL flight. I definitely wouldn't add a connection to avoid the 757, and as others pointed out there are some very good Y seats to grab if one can't upgrade. Flying time BOS-LHR in the Winter can't be much more than 5 hours?
How about 6 1/2+

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.