FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Rumor? New Nut mix on AA flights / and current Ramekin shortage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1003313-rumor-new-nut-mix-aa-flights-current-ramekin-shortage.html)

magic111 Oct 7, 2009 11:31 am

Are you all nuts?

The nuttiest thing is that about the only time I eat nuts is when upgraded while flying aa. :D

This thread reminds me of the old Almond Joy jingle; "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't."

brp Oct 7, 2009 11:32 am

Originally Posted by JNB280 (Post 12557063)
They don't do the tropical nut mix on SFO-HNL?

I'll find out...but I didn't think they would do a nut bowl on a breakfast-time flight. In any event, this flight may not be a good data point :)

Cheers.

shadesofgrey1x Oct 7, 2009 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Danwriter (Post 12554024)
Encountered new nut mix last night on AA1684 BNA-LGA. Was told by the FA that this was the first day for the new mix. The new entry is sugar-coated and half the front cabin sent them back half- or uneaten, myself included. Let the reviews begin.

My question was how did you get the flight crew to let you examine all the nut bowls to determine that half the front cabin sent each and every bowl back either halfeaten or uneaten?

Zeffer Oct 7, 2009 12:05 pm

Never enough pistachios.

Always too many cashews.

Oh, the difficulties of modern life... *sigh*

aamilesslave Oct 7, 2009 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 12556290)
I liked the soy nuts. There, I said it.

Mike

I liked soy nuts in the mix. I did not care for a mix containing mostly soy nuts.

Robt760 Oct 7, 2009 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave (Post 12557789)
I liked soy nuts in the mix. I did not care for a mix containing mostly soy nuts.

IMO, you need to shake your nut bag first, and even turn it upside down a few times before serving. In doing this you ensure event nut distribution. If not, the small nuts settle on the bottom and the big nuts stay on the top.

Afterwards, you can open the bag and pour it into containers. Solves the nut problem.

Beyond this, I'll wait to cast judgement regarding the topic at hand, but I'm hoping for no sugar nuts. Lightly salted and roasted is fine.

salut0 Oct 7, 2009 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Danwriter (Post 12554024)
The new entry is sugar-coated and half the front cabin sent them back half- or uneaten, myself included. Let the reviews begin.

Originally Posted by AAerSTL (Post 12554123)
Yuck! I hate sugary nuts particularly before the meal service.

Originally Posted by janetdoe (Post 12554947)
Because we all need more sugar in our diets...:rolleyes: Double-plus-ungood.

I'd agree with all these comments. But I'd also say that adding sugar to non-dessert dishes is especially characteristic of the USA. I doubt that British Airways would have done this to the macadamias they serve in F.

(British English uses the word "savoury" as the opposite of sweet, but US English uses it merely to mean "tasty" because many non-dessert -type dishes/products in the US have sugar/sweeteners added).

zman Oct 7, 2009 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Zeffer (Post 12557601)
Never enough pistachios.

Always too many cashews.

Way to many Almonds; usually > then 50%

Abidjan Oct 7, 2009 1:05 pm

agreed Zeffer! dfw-ord, same old nuts.

Never enough pistachios.

Always too many cashews.

farrish11 Oct 7, 2009 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Robt760 (Post 12557980)
IMO, you need to shake your nut bag first, and even turn it upside down a few times before serving.

My wife prefers that I serve her nuts this way. I don't really handle nuts around anyone else though, so I'm curious if others would freak out they were served nuts this way. I'd think a nut bag would be confusing upside down.

paging whirledtraveler

AGSF Oct 7, 2009 1:10 pm

Costco sells a nut mix that is, as far as I can tell, identical to the mixed nuts AA serves. I had the Costco mixed nuts the other day, and I really could not tell the difference between their mixed nuts and the AA mixed nuts -- same types of nuts, same makeup (number of each nut). I warmed them up, and they tasted exactly the same.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I think that AA's mixed nuts come from the same place as Costco's mixed nuts.

dstan Oct 7, 2009 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Robt760 (Post 12557980)
If not, the small nuts settle on the bottom and the big nuts stay on the top.

In food service, as in life. :D

ESpen36 Oct 7, 2009 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by AGSF (Post 12558534)
Costco sells a nut mix that is, as far as I can tell, identical to the mixed nuts AA serves. I had the Costco mixed nuts the other day, and I really could not tell the difference between their mixed nuts and the AA mixed nuts -- same types of nuts, same makeup (number of each nut). I warmed them up, and they tasted exactly the same.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I think that AA's mixed nuts come from the same place as Costco's mixed nuts.

I think you're right. The Costco nut mix is basically identical to the one from the AA food service contractors.

I would be upset if the caterers had switched permanently to a sugary nut mix. On Hawaii routes it's okay because it's supposed to be "tropical," but I'm not sure I like the idea of systemwide.

BarkinJ Oct 7, 2009 1:31 pm

Never enough pistachios.

Always too many cashews.

I love the cashews. I'd take a whole bowl of them. I could do without the pistachios (they always taste stale) and the walnuts (allergic).

photodave Oct 7, 2009 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by BarkinJ (Post 12558853)
I love the cashews. I'd take a whole bowl of them. I could do without the pistachios (they always taste stale) and the walnuts (allergic).

I believe the AA nut mix contains pecans, not walnuts. I may be wrong though.