Flying to Tel Aviv on AA and LY

Old Oct 7, 09, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Flying to Tel Aviv on AA and LY

I will be visiting Israel this next and flying El Al Israel. Looking at routing options I can do either BOS-JFK-TLV or BOS-LHR-TLV. LHR is more attractive as I can fly AA for more of the distance and then connect to EL Al's 777 at LHR as opposed to a 747 from JFK.

I'm looking at J fares and per AA.com I will receive 100% milage credit plus a 25% bonus. From what I understand, I can earn RDM but not EQM or status bonus on LY. If I issue the entire ticket though LY on their stock, can I earn EQM and my EXP bonus on the BOS-LHR on AA metal?

Any advice appreciated.
Old Oct 7, 09, 8:31 am

Programs: AA ADVANTAGE
Flying to TLV

There is another routing option, BOS/MAD/TLV with IB. Connect time is 3 hours, J service with IB is generally good. As far as miles, points, etc., you should check that to your satisfaction.
Old Oct 7, 09, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
If I issue the entire ticket though LY on their stock, can I earn EQM and my EXP bonus on the BOS-LHR on AA metal?
Ticket stock doesn't matter for AA mileage accrual; flight coding, operating carrier (in some partner cases), and fare class do.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...anAirlines.jsp
Old Oct 7, 09, 10:48 am

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Another Routing...

In a few months the Spouse and I are flying LAX - JFK - FCO on AA in J. After a week in Rome, we're heading to TLV on LY in J Class. Return to LAX is via reverse routing on the same carriers in J Class.

Old Oct 7, 09, 2:17 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Miles aside for a minute, I actually would prefer the one longer segment (JFK-TLV) rather than breaking up the travel distance almost in half. That way, I have probability of sleeping longer...that's just me.

I've flown LY 3x r/t on JFK/EWR/MIA-TLV. Every time, I recall being able to earn AA miles, but not EQMs. This was in 2006/2007.
Old Oct 7, 09, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
I will be visiting Israel this next and flying El Al Israel. Looking at routing options I can do either BOS-JFK-TLV or BOS-LHR-TLV. LHR is more attractive as I can fly AA for more of the distance and then connect to EL Al's 777 at LHR as opposed to a 747 from JFK.

I'm looking at J fares and per AA.com I will receive 100% milage credit plus a 25% bonus. From what I understand, I can earn RDM but not EQM or status bonus on LY. If I issue the entire ticket though LY on their stock, can I earn EQM and my EXP bonus on the BOS-LHR on AA metal?

Any advice appreciated.
If it's EQM's your after you should use BA instead of LY for LHR-TLV.No way to earn EQM on LY but you should still get EXP Bonus on LY stock if it's an AA flight number and not an LY code share flight number but of cource you'll earn many more EXP Bonus miles routing through LHR.As far as convenience I would choose JFK over LHR.BTW I believe LY has a 777 going from EWR.If you would like to MR part of the route spending many more hours flying I can help you build some pretty daft Itineraries I have taken myself over the years.
Old Oct 7, 09, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA PLT (MR Gld; Hertz PC), AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.
If your trip is during the season for BOS-CDG, you should consider that too. I think LY sometimes runs a widebody into CDG.

BOS-BRU-TLV is another option, IIRC.

I agree with your approach of maximizing the time on AA metal, though; Mrs CO FF did LAX-TLV on LY this year, and said that the LY 777 J wasn't as comfortable as the NGBC. I flew C on the LY 762 FRA-TLV, and thought it was a late 80s/early 90s product all around (lousy food, old seat). I was more comfortable (and thought the meal better) on the 73G TLV-FRA in C.

Just remember that your XXX-TLV segment won't get you lounge access, since LY isn't OW.
Old Oct 7, 09, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CO FF View Post
If your trip is during the season for BOS-CDG, you should consider that too.

Not really a good option unless you have something useful to spend almost 7 hours on waiting for the LY connection.

BOS-BRU-TLV is another option, IIRC.

Not a good option either as there is no real AA non stop BOS-BRU,as you have to stopover in LHR first.

I agree with your approach of maximizing the time on AA metal, though; Mrs CO FF did LAX-TLV on LY this year, and said that the LY 777 J wasn't as comfortable as the NGBC. I flew C on the LY 762 FRA-TLV, and thought it was a late 80s/early 90s product all around (lousy food, old seat). I was more comfortable (and thought the meal better) on the 73G TLV-FRA in C.

Just remember that your XXX-TLV segment won't get you lounge access, since LY isn't OW.

Traveling business class will allow access to LY KD Club in LHR

Search this Thread