Is it possible to Un-upgrade?

Old Oct 6, 09, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Thumbs down Is it possible to Un-upgrade?

(using gogo right now...)

Travelling with a companion, we requested an upgrade months ago when we booked a flight on the same PNR, but when we noticed seats had gone away pretty quickly on a relatively EXP heavy route (SFO-DFW) we tried unrequesting the upgrade by calling the EXP line since we had 21AB (MD80). Sitting together is more important than getting the upgrade for us especially when we have the exit row already to ourselves.

Anyway, just got email that we got the upgrade and we're sitting about as far as possible from each other in FC. And of course, no other seats are available in FC for us to change to.

This comes after another issue for the flight to SFO we're on now with having 3EF and them breaking us up by saying they accidentally double booked 3F. Not happy with the handling of upgrades today at all.

Is there anything I can do while on the plane to get the 21AB seats back? I will be heading straight to the AC when we land, but would rather get this sorted sooner....
Old Oct 6, 09, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by returnzero View Post
(using gogo right now...)

Travelling with a companion, we requested an upgrade months ago when we booked a flight on the same PNR, but when we noticed seats had gone away pretty quickly on a relatively EXP heavy route (SFO-DFW) we tried unrequesting the upgrade by calling the EXP line since we had 21AB (MD80). Sitting together is more important than getting the upgrade for us especially when we have the exit row already to ourselves.

Anyway, just got email that we got the upgrade and we're sitting about as far as possible from each other in FC. And of course, no other seats are available in FC for us to change to.

This comes after another issue for the flight to SFO we're on now with having 3EF and them breaking us up by saying they accidentally double booked 3F. Not happy with the handling of upgrades today at all.

Is there anything I can do while on the plane to get the 21AB seats back? I will be heading straight to the AC when we land, but would rather get this sorted sooner....
If 21A/B is already taken, I am sure the 21A/B is willing to swap with your for your First Class seats when u get on the flight. Just be sure to tell the FA.
Old Oct 6, 09, 11:25 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...

Likely not now, nor at the AC. The seats have very likely been given to others by now. I'd say enjoy F. Certainly not worth stressing over.

Cheers.
Old Oct 6, 09, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by zman View Post
If 21A/B is already taken, I am sure the 21A/B is willing to swap with your for your First Class seats when u get on the flight. Just be sure to tell the FA.
That's actually a great idea. Seems obvious in retrospect. Will try this if we can't get people in FC to swap (having bad luck with this lately). Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 09, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'd play seat roulette after boarding. See if you can find someone to swap for a comparable seat (window for window, aisle for aisle). I see it happen all the time on my flights, and I've swapped myself so couples can sit together.
Old Oct 7, 09, 12:11 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Twice in the last week, I saw people in F trade seats to sit with each other. One guy even made a fuss when he was feeling resistance to the trade. In both time, the people who ended up sitting with each other talke solidy for 10 minutes and sat and ignored each other the rest of the flight. Even if I'm with my better half, I just don't find it enough to stress out when we don't get seated near each other.
Old Oct 7, 09, 4:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
IME swapping seats in F is often met with resistance. it helps though if one party has window and the other aisle. It seems some folks have a strong preference for window vs aisle and are not inclined to trade for the other especially in F. YMMV, of course.

EDIT: I've offered to swap when I'm seated next to a person in F whose SO is seated elsewhere (also in F). just seems like a nice thing to do and hopefully will come back to me at some point.
Old Oct 7, 09, 4:41 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by benzguy80 View Post
IME swapping seats in F is often met with resistance. it helps though if one party has window and the other aisle. It seems some folks have a strong preference for window vs aisle and are not inclined to trade for the other especially in F. YMMV, of course.

EDIT: I've offered to swap when I'm seated next to a person in F whose SO is seated elsewhere (also in F). just seems like a nice thing to do and hopefully will come back to me at some point.
Fascinating observation... and very true.

Several years ago I got FAM'd flying SEA-IAD on UA in international F. However, in this case, I was on a paid F itinerary (all 4 seats) with my wife and newborn twins and there wasn't a way to separate us legally... meaning, someone other than my wife or I would be sitting next to the kid and/or the kid would be in a Captain Kirk chair and obviously would be unable to put on the O2 mask and be cared for during takeoff and landing. For whatever reason (valid or not), the other F pax insisted on remaining in their preassigned seats. It took the station manager coming on the plane to have a heart to heart with one of the other pax to finally resolve matters.
Old Oct 7, 09, 8:43 am

Programs: AA 1MM; Hilton Diamond
... we tried unrequesting the upgrade by calling the EXP line since we had 21AB (MD80).
I'm not clear here; did you try to unrequest the upgrade before or after it cleared? Any agent should be able to take you off the list. In order to down-grade, your original booking class inventory must be available on the flight. And, you'd only be able to get your old seats back if they were empty.
Old Oct 7, 09, 8:54 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benzguy80 View Post
We've swapped many times and have never met with resistance. We would only swap like-for-like, of course. But we've never even seen a pained look. All folks we've asked have been more than happy to switch.

Cheers.
Old Oct 7, 09, 9:06 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by brp View Post
We've swapped many times and have never met with resistance. We would only swap like-for-like, of course. But we've never even seen a pained look. All folks we've asked have been more than happy to switch.

Cheers.
Last flight I was on (762 jfk-sfo business) pax tried to change to be able to sit next to gf. He had a middle aisle she had a bulkhead aisle. Neither pax would agree to either change and they ended up flying apart.
In the scheme of things turns out it was an FTer whom I knew.

Last time I was involved in a seat change was when an old man wanted to sit next to his adult daughter and just took the seat.

My wife and I after being married so many years have no problems being separated. In fact we even travel to different places alone as one or the other of us may have a desire to go there and the other does not.
Old Oct 7, 09, 9:31 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magic111 View Post

My wife and I after being married so many years have no problems being separated. In fact we even travel to different places alone as one or the other of us may have a desire to go there and the other does not.
mrs. brp and I got married older (first time for each of us). We've only been married a little over 3 years. By the time we're married long enough for these kinds of considerations, we'll be dead

Cheers.
Old Oct 7, 09, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by brp View Post
mrs. brp and I got married older (first time for each of us). We'veonly been married a little over 3 years. By the time we're married long enough for these kinds of considerations, we'll be dead

Cheers.
Sitting in ord on g1 phone so forgive typos. Our upgrades cleared today at 2 am. Not together. Mr zipadee got bulkead me 5a. Got there and guy in seat. Insisted on taking it most ungraciously in telling me where I was now sitting. Thought about saying no just cause of his attitude. Two others switched. We didn't. Now one offered and we didn't press. We love each other enough we can be apart for 75 minutes as long as in f. I wound up witth lovely seat companion. Ex plat who gave me some tips and I told him about ft and fc. Mr zipadee and I were both exhausted and probably said 3 words to each other. I had engaging seat companion so worked well for me. But the one guys entitlement attitdue rubbed me. To op I bet folks will switch particularly if one is aisle one window. But don't seat poach from get go.
Edited to add. Two other couples switched so 3 couples altogether played musical chairs. We didn't. Doubt said much to each other if had been together cause so tired. In layover hs read and I have been on phone. Good luck
Old Oct 7, 09, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors
Asking someone to swap in F is probably the best bet. I do it all the time if it is like seat for like seat (aisle). Don't care about FEBO, and would gladly give up the extra 2 inches on the EF side of the Mad Dog to help a family sit together.

What I will NOT swap for is a person that makes loud noises about how they just must have the aisle when they are booked into a window seat. I am a fairly tall female but it seems that some men, tall or not, think aisles should be reserved for them, exclusively.

I say that because I have never had a woman say to me "would you mind trading me your aisle seat for the window?" -- whereas I think men have asked me that well over a dozen times.

When I say, yes, I do mind some will come back with excuses like "I have to get up and go to the bathroom a lot" or "I have a bad knee" or whatever. I suppose the objective is to make me feel guilty, but it doesn't.
Old Oct 7, 09, 10:46 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zipadee View Post
Got there and guy in seat. Insisted on taking it most ungraciously in telling me where I was now sitting. Thought about saying no just cause of his attitude.
Seriously, don't let things like this happen, IMO. People who are nice are one thing. People like this, though, shouldn't be given what they choose to take. Even reading about folks like this bugs me

Originally Posted by LTRS View Post

What I will NOT swap for is a person that makes loud noises about how they just must have the aisle when they are booked into a window seat. I am a fairly tall female but it seems that some men, tall or not, think aisles should be reserved for them, exclusively.

I suppose the objective is to make me feel guilty, but it doesn't.
Exactly. If they're asking you to do a favor, they should realize that. Trying to intimidate or "guilt" someone into doing a favor is just poor form and manners.

Cheers.

Search this Thread