Inbound flight cancelled, which outbound gets cancelled?

 
Old Oct 6, 09, 4:16 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Posts: 446
Inbound flight cancelled, which outbound gets cancelled?

Being that one of my most common flights is to/from NRT, I noticed today (10/6) that AA 175 DFW-NRT was cancelled. Whenever this happens, obviously one of the five flights the next day will be cancelled. Currently, all five flights (AA 176, 170, 154, 168 and 60) are all showing as operating the next day.

In the event this happens while I am in Asia next time, is there any way to determine which flight will be one cancelled? It definitely helps in planning, especially if you are starting from another city (such as HKG, TPE, etc.)

I'm also sure this situation occurs in LHR as well, plus any other overseas city with multiple flights per day to the various AA hub cities.
TxH2O is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 4:21 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,630
Originally Posted by TxH2O View Post
Being that one of my most common flights is to/from NRT, I noticed today (10/6) that AA 175 DFW-NRT was cancelled. Whenever this happens, obviously one of the five flights the next day will be cancelled. Currently, all five flights (AA 176, 170, 154, 168 and 60) are all showing as operating the next day.

In the event this happens while I am in Asia next time, is there any way to determine which flight will be one cancelled? It definitely helps in planning, especially if you are starting from another city (such as HKG, TPE, etc.)

I'm also sure this situation occurs in LHR as well, plus any other overseas city with multiple flights per day to the various AA hub cities.
Did an NRT to U.S. cancel yesterday , so there is an extra plane there?
AA does have one plane per day that over nights for the noon to Dallas the next day.
I have seen two AA planes parked at NRT over night, have no idea how they do that.


I

Last edited by zman; Oct 6, 09 at 4:34 pm
zman is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 4:24 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Posts: 446
Originally Posted by zman View Post
Did an NRT to U.S. cancel yesterday , so there is an extra plane there?
AA does have one plane per day that over nights for the noon to Dallas the next day.
I have seen two AA planes parked at NRT over night, have no idea how they do that.
I actually didn't check whether there was a cancellation NRT-US yesterday. Checking flights that left "today" from NRT, there were no cancellations, though. We'll see what happens, I guess. I know that whenever one of the late flights U.S.-NRT cancels or is delayed badly, I have seen that plane held for AA 176 the next morning being used as a substitute that same day.
TxH2O is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 4:36 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,630
Originally Posted by TxH2O View Post
I actually didn't check whether there was a cancellation NRT-US yesterday. Checking flights that left "today" from NRT, there were no cancellations, though. We'll see what happens, I guess. I know that whenever one of the late flights U.S.-NRT cancels or is delayed badly, I have seen that plane held for AA 176 the next morning being used as a substitute that same day.
I checked Oct 5, 6 and 7 NRT departs to the US and they all went or are scheduled.

My only other guess they had some type of Military charter to ASIA
and are using that plane to do the full returns.
Or there was some type of mechanical cancel prior to Oct 5 (at NRT) that is now fixed.
zman is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 5:02 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 12,083
AA175 was canceled due to typhoon Melor; I assume its presence required more fuel on the DFW-NRT than what the 777 could carry.

AA ended up flying the 777 to LAX as AA9253 to connect to AA169 (which departed from a different gate, thus was a different bird).

Pretty remarkable.

And to your original question: every situation is different, and as you can see AA works hard to disrupt as few passengers as possible.
hillrider is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 5:17 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,630
Originally Posted by hillrider View Post
AA175 was canceled due to typhoon Melor; I assume its presence required more fuel on the DFW-NRT than what the 777 could carry.

AA ended up flying the 777 to LAX as AA9253 to connect to AA169 (which departed from a different gate, thus was a different bird).

Pretty remarkable.

And to your original question: every situation is different, and as you can see AA works hard to disrupt as few passengers as possible.
Flight 61 (noon) left per plan, so NOT a fuel/typhoon issue.
Maybe they put some of 175 passengers on 61 and the rest on 169 (which left 45 min late) which they held to wait for the DFW flight.

So u are right, AA did something to acommidate, most.
So AA gets a gold star
But where do they get the plane to do the full op from NRT on Thursday?
zman is offline  
Old Oct 6, 09, 5:25 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 12,083
Originally Posted by zman View Post
Flight 61 (noon) left per plan, so NOT a fuel/typhoon issue.
Interesting. They (AA ops) noted typhoon, and in years of watching them ops doesn't make stuff up. Don't know why one left and the other one didn't, but I do know that all it takes is being 1 minute short of required fuel to cancel a mission, and different departure time = different wind forecast.
hillrider is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread