Wiki Posts
Search

How does AA finance new aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2009, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
How does AA finance new aircraft?

I've always been curious. I know that AA says that new FA uniforms are not in their budget, but were do they get the money to finance new 737's? I am a big fan of AA and fly them monthly, but their flight attendants are starting to look shabby and unproffesional. On a plane with three FA's none of them were wearing the same uniform, and it looke very unproffessional, so is there any plans for new uniforms in the future?
Old Oct 3, 2009, 9:02 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Welcome to Flyer Talk, richvista!

We have a specific sub-forum for all things related to American Airlines and its frequent flyer program. I have requested to have a moderator move your post there, where the real experts on AA hang out.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:05 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Welcome to Flyer Talk, richvista!

We have a specific sub-forum for all things related to American Airlines and its frequent flyer program. I have requested to have a moderator move your post there, where the real experts on AA hang out.
Welcome to Flyertalk, richvista
The above information is correct, so I am moving your thread to the AA Forum for discussion.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richvista
I've always been curious. I know that AA says that new FA uniforms are not in their budget, but were do they get the money to finance new 737's?
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Old FA uniforms aren't bleeding the company dry the way gas-hog MD-80s were when oil hit $147/bbl just over a year ago, so I'm guessing that might be part of it.

I am a big fan of AA and fly them monthly, but their flight attendants are starting to look shabby and unproffesional. On a plane with three FA's none of them were wearing the same uniform, and it looke very unproffessional, so is there any plans for new uniforms in the future?
AA's FA uniforms consist of several different pieces, so the FAs can mix and match as they wish. There are dresses, skirts, trousers, shirts, blouses, sweaters, etc. Rarely are all the FAs on a flight wearing the same combo. If they're shabby and unprofessional in appearance, then it's time for the FAs to replace the shabby pieces (as FAs buy their own from a uniform allowance they're given each year).
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I am pretty sure there are some threads and posts that address some of this - in fact, I think it was within the week someone was discussing AA had sold some of its aircraft off to GECAS, a major leasing company, and is now using them under lease, and took out a loan secured by aircraft as well. As well, the thread addresses AAdvantage selling Citi advanced miles and getting a couple (or more?) billion dollars in financing.

Ah, there it is! Link.

As to aircraft leasing, it apparently can be quite rewarding. Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy (International Lease Finance Corp.) has done so well he substantially financed the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum branch - the Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center - at IAD. (If you haven't been, and are interested in aviation, it's a good way to make an AA mileage run.)

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 3, 2009 at 10:50 am
Old Oct 3, 2009, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by JDiver
... the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum branch - the Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center - at IAD. (If you haven't been, and are interested in aviation, it's a good way to make an AA mileage run.)
It's truly a great museum. It's got's everything, -- the Enola Gay, the first 707, the first FedEx plane, etc. Also, Halloween's coming up. If you have children, I believe that the Museum has a Halloween sleepover on the Museum floor for children of certain ages, -- worth checking out.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:55 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
It's truly a great museum. It's got's everything, -- the Enola Gay, the first 707, the first FedEx plane, etc.
Not to mention an Air France Concorde and the Space Shuttle Enterprise (which never actually flew into space).
Old Oct 3, 2009, 4:58 pm

I've always been curious. I know that AA says that new FA uniforms are not in their budget, but were do they get the money to finance new 737's? I am a big fan of AA and fly them monthly, but their flight attendants are starting to look shabby and unproffesional. On a plane with three FA's none of them were wearing the same uniform, and it looke very unproffessional, so is there any plans for new uniforms in the future?
New planes are usually very easy to finance (to mortgage, actually), in general, because the planes make good collateral. If the money isn't repaid, the planes can be repossessed and re-leased or sold. In all of the recent airline bankruptcies, the plane financiers, as secured creditors, made out just fine.

Expense items like fuel, or like uniforms, can't be financed so easily. They have to be paid for up front.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 5:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In the case of uniforms, I suspect by the employees. I do remember the halcyon and optimistic days when employees even purchased some aircraft for their airlines.

AA's 737-823s are very nice commodities - and as you say, are probably pretty good collateral, not to mention GECAS can sell or lease them out quite easily if they must.

Originally Posted by martin33
New planes are usually very easy to finance (to mortgage, actually), in general, because the planes make good collateral. If the money isn't repaid, the planes can be repossessed and re-leased or sold. In all of the recent airline bankruptcies, the plane financiers, as secured creditors, made out just fine.

Expense items like fuel, or like uniforms, can't be financed so easily. They have to be paid for up front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.