Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

IDB / cancellation /diverted to other airline - pay new baggage fee? (consolidated)

IDB / cancellation /diverted to other airline - pay new baggage fee? (consolidated)

 
Old Oct 1, 09, 1:06 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 87
IDB / cancellation /diverted to other airline - pay new baggage fee? (consolidated)

Was on an AA flight diverted mid-flight due to weather at LGA. AA rebooked me on US Airways. US Airways required me to pay their baggage fees and said to seek compensation from AA; I had already paid AA their fees. Shouldn't AA pay, since I shouldn't have to pay a double baggage fee just because they re-booked me on US Air?

AA also colossally screwed up the re-ticketing--zero communication between 800 number and the ground ticketing agents--but we'll leave that aside.
jenae is offline  
Old Oct 1, 09, 1:10 pm
  #2  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,593
Did they also offer you a later AA flight option, or only the US Air option? If they offered an AA option and you chose the US option instead, it's going to be a hard sell on your part. If they did not, I think you have a good case.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Oct 1, 09, 1:24 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA, Europe
Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Posts: 839
Should US (or any other airline for that matter) be charging a baggage fee when pax are protected on their flight? I say this because typically, when an airline puts you onto another carrier, they have to pay that carrier the full fare. Accordingly, pax typically (or maybe even always) get booked into Y class. AFAIK, all airlines waive baggage fees when someone is traveling on a Y fare, which is the case here. So, why would US collect baggage fees in this case?

Just a thought.
i_fly_AA is offline  
Old Oct 1, 09, 1:43 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,137
2nd time in recent history that PAX has been forced to pay fee when AA switched to another airline (other thread is about a voluntary switch due to overbooking). IMO, airlines don't have their ducks in a row about this matter -- OF COURSE, the PAX shouldn't have to pay...the full cost of the air travel should be switched over including luggage (it's not like it's a buy-on-board meal) OR AA should refund the fee already paid to it to PAX when switching over tix (what a bureaucratic mess that would be though). Please complain to DOT. DOT will eventually hopefully post some policy if/when they receive enough complaints.

IMHO the airlines won't come up with their own policy to switch over luggage checking fees until someone forces them -- right now, it's a win-win for them...both airlines getting the fees.

OP, also AA should NOT refund your checked luggage fee with a AA voucher -- it should not be something that forces you to spend it on AA. It's not a courtesy, it's a fee for a service (carrying your luggage in their hold), that AA didn't provide.
SocietyFlyGirl is offline  
Old Dec 2, 09, 11:05 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SAT/AUS/LAX
Programs: AA EXP/1MM
Posts: 246
Rebooked on UA, should AA reimburse baggage fees?

On 12/1, my flight had mechanical problems and AA rebooked me on a UA flight. I had two pieces of checked luggage, but didn't have to pay the fees as an EXP. But on UA, I have no status and had to pay the checked luggage fee.

I asked AA for a reimbursement for $50--the cost of checking two bags. AA said that they do not reimburse costs that are charged to another airline. These are costs that I know would not have been incurred had I stayed on the original or any AA flight. Since it was late in the day, there was no other possible AA flight to get me home. AA did give me 3,000 miles as a gesture of goodwill.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Should I press them on getting the $50 back or just settle for the 3,000 miles? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

By the way, I was very appreciative of the GAs who called me up to the gate counter to rebook my flight. They shortly informed all the others on the flight after they handed me my new BP.
TimUT78 is offline  
Old Dec 2, 09, 2:37 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DCA
Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt, National
Posts: 969
<Here are two threads that deal with your question. I've only skimmed, but you might want to read them thoroughly to see what other experienced.> (Original post)

Here is a thread on VDB:

Baggage Charges When Voluntarily Denied Boarding to Another Airline

and please read this thread, which your question has been merged into.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 15, 10 at 4:40 pm Reason: changed text after thread merge
imagineertobe is offline  
Old Dec 2, 09, 2:53 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,310
Do not deal with AA directly, you won't get anywhere. You'll need to contact the DOT and be clear and concise to your argument. If AA CHOOSES to reroute you due to delays, cancellations, VDB, IDB, whatever, it should be at no additional cost to yourself.
denCSA is offline  
Old Dec 2, 09, 3:01 pm
  #8  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,593
Originally Posted by denCSA View Post
Do not deal with AA directly, you won't get anywhere. You'll need to contact the DOT and be clear and concise to your argument. If AA CHOOSES to reroute you due to delays, cancellations, VDB, IDB, whatever, it should be at no additional cost to yourself.
The (originally) bolded part is at the heart of the matter. If AA presented AA-based choices, but the UA-based choice was a better option, and the OP chose that one, it may be a tougher case. If that was the solution AA presented, then it may be easier. If it is the first case, I'd try AA again- just because it's easier. If it doesn't work, then the approach suggested above could yield results.

If the OP made the choice to go with UA, however, one might still try, but with appropriately-lowered expectations.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Dec 2, 09, 3:37 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DCA
Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt, National
Posts: 969
Originally Posted by denCSA View Post
...You'll need to contact the DOT...
Hold on, I think I heard SocietyFlyGirl's DOT sirens go off. Perhaps she'll be by soon to shed some light on how the DOT rules apply to this situation. You could optionally PM her to expedite the process
imagineertobe is offline  
Old Dec 2, 09, 8:29 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SAT/AUS/LAX
Programs: AA EXP/1MM
Posts: 246
Originally Posted by brp View Post
The (originally) bolded part is at the heart of the matter. If AA presented AA-based choices, but the UA-based choice was a better option, and the OP chose that one, it may be a tougher case. If that was the solution AA presented, then it may be easier. If it is the first case, I'd try AA again- just because it's easier. If it doesn't work, then the approach suggested above could yield results.

If the OP made the choice to go with UA, however, one might still try, but with appropriately-lowered expectations.

Cheers.
Thanks for the responses everyone.

There was no real choice in this matter due to the time. Taking the UA option got me home around midnight (just half an hour later than my original flight). If I took an AA route, the earliest I could get home was the next afternoon in which case I'd miss half a day of work.
TimUT78 is offline  
Old Dec 3, 09, 11:30 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Programs: AA - EXP 2.3 MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, recovering UA Premier
Posts: 280
Originally Posted by denCSA View Post
You'll need to contact the DOT ...
I would encourage the OP to contact the DOT. Airlines tend to pay more attention to DOT complaints because they are clearly tracked and the press frequently reports on the resulting statistics.

I've had a total of three problems on UA and AA where I was stonewalled by customer service, but both were resolved within days when I sent a copy of my letter to the DOT.

The DOT has also
is also looking at baggage fee disclosures, so it might be worth sending a copy to the address in their announcement, though it is from last year:
http://www.dot.gov/affairs/aviation0...efeenotice.htm

You might also try the executive escalation contacts here:
http://www.elliott.org/help/american-airlines/
flyermatthew is offline  
Old Dec 3, 09, 11:43 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: LAX; AA EXP, MM; HH Gold
Posts: 31,790
Does AA pay the checked bag fees for non-elite coach passengers who are rebooked on other airlines where they'd have to pay a baggage fee? Given that they already gave AA $50 for their two bags, it would be outrageous if they had to pay again at UA or DL or CO or US.

Not paying the checked bag fees for elites (or premium pax) who are rebooked on other airlines smacks of cheap. But many facets of AA smack of cheap these days, so this should be no surprise.

You'd think that the airlines could reciprocate on the fees for elites (or premium pax) who are almost universally exempt from the fees.
FWAAA is offline  
Old Dec 3, 09, 11:54 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,169
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
...

You'd think that the airlines could reciprocate on the fees for elites (or premium pax) who are almost universally exempt from the fees.
That would be nice, but a difficult logistical problem to solve. I doubt airlines would be inclined to spend to get that seamlessly working.

I second the DOT complaint, and re-writing to AA pressing about the extra baggage fees. Usually the first response offers minimum compensation, but if you feel its inadequate, I would write a direct (slightly firm) response requesting more. It can yield in additional miles at a minimum.
vrbaba is offline  
Old Dec 3, 09, 1:36 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 12,097
Originally Posted by vrbaba View Post
That would be nice, but a difficult logistical problem to solve. I doubt airlines would be inclined to spend to get that seamlessly working.
The airlines willingly make their business complex, so it's their onus to solve customer problems of their making. That's the lamest excuse I've seen.

Absolutely contact the DOT; you may also check in with www.flyersrights.org, but don't skip the concise, well reasoned, DOT complaint. This bag fee situation is a complete mess that needs to be addressed, and the airlines (as typical) are doing a mess about it.

And yes, you should not have to pay the $50 -- AA has a duty to rebook you at no cost, a duty that it did not uphold.
hillrider is offline  
Old Jan 24, 10, 7:16 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: SW A List Preferred, Diamond, AA MM (almost 2MM)
Posts: 37
Checked Bag Reimbursement

I searched, but I didn't see an answer. My flight from YVR to DFW was canceled for mechanical problems. We were a party of 3 with 5 checked bags (we were skiing). My hubby and I are both gold for life, so we don't pay for bags. (yet)

Since the flight was canceled, they rerouted us through SFO, with the first leg on United. We had to pay 155.00 to check our bags. The agent at the AA counter who made the change told us AA would reimburse us for the bag charges.

Is this true? And...how woud you suggest going about getting the reimbursement? I saved our receipt from UA. (We should have asked him how, but we were now leaving earlier and had to hussle down to the United counter. )

Thanks!
MiteMom is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: