NRT-ORD AA154 hydraulic part failure today [Sep 29 2009]

Old Sep 30, 09, 5:20 pm

Wow, search for 'compensation' came empty on this page (before this post)
Old Sep 30, 09, 5:44 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by PresRDC View Post
This story is often repeated, but untrue. As late as Summer 1988 (nearly 10 years after AA 191), AA had a camera mounted in the flight deck behind the captain in its DC-10s that was turned-on for landing.
I remember the cameras on the dc10s. They still existed in the 1984-87 timeframe. They were sooooooooo cool to this teenager at the time. They'd display it using the projecter and you'd watch it in the last couple of minutes of the flght. Made me want to become a pilot...
Old Sep 30, 09, 5:53 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Originally Posted by HNL View Post
I've been told AA used to have nose wheel cameras but those were removed after the AA191 crash in Chicago.
This story is often repeated, but untrue. As late as Summer 1988 (nearly 10 years after AA 191), AA had a camera mounted in the flight deck behind the captain in its DC-10s that was turned-on for landing.
I stand corrected. That's the last time I trust what I read on the Internet
Old Sep 30, 09, 7:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Maybe the problem is the 777 lost the pedal to b74l's amenity kit?

Seriously, b74l has posted some good information here. Thanks!

I'd not want to be in the shoes of whoever took so long to dispatch a tug, much less without the full towbar hardware for the 777. Though NRT has several runways, I suspect airport admin / ground control / ATC /AA would love to hoist someone for this!
Old Sep 30, 09, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by HNL View Post
Same here.

I've been told AA used to have nose wheel cameras but those were removed after the AA191 crash in Chicago.
Only on DC10's
Old Oct 2, 09, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
I'd not want to be in the shoes of whoever took so long to dispatch a tug, much less without the full towbar hardware for the 777. Though NRT has several runways, I suspect airport admin / ground control / ATC /AA would love to hoist someone for this!

I thought the OP said the AA 777 landed at ORD
and sat on the rwy for 2 hours?

as for NRT, I saw something on the airport's official
website that said non-passengers are not allowed anywhere
near the terminal on Oct 11, due to anti-airport protests....
Japanese farmers on tractors? must be interesting!

Seems like AA flight 154 NRT-ORD has some interesting
encounters this month: (noticed the following on Twitter)

"Exciting! AA 154 missed approach at #ORD due to a possible collision.
We almost landed before a medium-hard last minute clime and go-around
2:45 PM Sep 14th from web"

http://twitter.com/obra/status/3989417738

anyone with info on this one?

Last edited by Argen_Tina; Oct 2, 09 at 3:37 pm
Old Oct 3, 09, 3:19 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by challett View Post
On a related note, I was watching the landing planes come in (at night) while we were waiting to take off and could see 3-4 planes in line (literally) for landing. I wonder how much of a challenge it is for control to redirect those landing planes (but especially the next one).

Obviously there are regulations/procedures they follow in case of such an emergency, but I can't imagine it happens all that often. Not to mention how long did it take our pilots to realize there was a problem after landing. Anyone have any insight into the landing procedure/timeframe for something like this?
It's not just ATC that's involved. The rule is "only one aircraft can be on each runway at a time." Sometimes this is pushed to the limit, such as an aircraft landing just after the previous one took off from the same runway, with the taking-off aircraft at the other end having its wheels lift off the runway just as the landing one at the other end touch down. As long as there's no moment in time when both aircraft's wheels are on the runway at the same time, then the "one aircraft per runway" rule is not violated. Similarly, when landing one after the other, the prior aircraft has to be completely turned off the runway before the next aircraft touches down, but it could be just a tiny amount of time between the two. Especially for larger aircraft, there may be other separation rules at play that would make it so things never go that close on the ground, but here I'm speaking generally and only to the "one aircraft per runway" rule and not other rules that may be in play.

My point is that for certain situations when they're cutting it close, there may be no time for ATC to notice or become involved. It's the responsibility of each pilot landing to ensure that the runway is clear of other aircraft before they touch down, and if something happens at the last minute so that that would not be the case, the landing pilot is responsible for doing a go-around on their own. Although a pilot-initiated go-around at the last minute is probably rare in a commercial aircraft, I would imagine that keeping an eye on the previous runway user is one of the things they always do during a landing and are always prepared to do a go-around.
Old Oct 3, 09, 4:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Anti-airport protests by farmers at Narita have existed much longer than the airport - they have not had towers up to interfere with airport operations in some years now, but the original landholders were very angry at losing land to an airport.

As two the tweet, I'd probably not give someone who can't even spell "climb" properly and uses media hype (the capitalization, in this case,) a bit of an ignore. "Possible collision" - what, if the other aircraft hadn't moved or the pilot initialized a missed approach? I've had lots of "possible collisions" on the streets of Bs As - if one of us hadn't changed speed or direction, of course.

Originally Posted by Argen_Tina View Post
I thought the OP said the AA 777 landed at ORD
and sat on the rwy for 2 hours?

as for NRT, I saw something on the airport's official
website that said non-passengers are not allowed anywhere
near the terminal on Oct 11, due to anti-airport protests....
Japanese farmers on tractors? must be interesting!

Seems like AA flight 154 NRT-ORD has some interesting
encounters this month: (noticed the following on Twitter)

"Exciting! AA 154 missed approach at #ORD due to a possible collision.
We almost landed before a medium-hard last minute clime and go-around
2:45 PM Sep 14th from web"

http://twitter.com/obra/status/3989417738

anyone with info on this one?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: