Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EXPs need a positive sticker balance to get upgraded???

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
EXPs need a positive sticker balance to get upgraded???

For a BOS-DFW flight yesterday I requested a companion upgrade for my son a couple days before the flight, after my own cleared. He was on a separate PNR. About 6 hours before departure I got an email that he had cleared. BOS-DFW requires 4 500-mile upgrades (stickers) and I had exactly that number in my account. But the agents at BOS could not produce a boarding pass for him because I had "insufficient upgrades" in my account.

The AC agents said that two of my four upgrades were "pending" use for my own upgrades (BOS-DFW and DFW-AUS). They said that when I boarded each flight one sticker would be debited but then put right back in. But it meant that I did not have all four available to upgrade a companion. Moreover, they said that if I did not have upgrades in my account then I would never get any "complimentary" EXP upgrades.

After going back and forth with them for some time, boarding began, all seats on the plane were taken, and it became clear that if he were to get the upgrade (or even have a seat on the plane) I was going to have to buy 2 more stickers, which I did at the inflated $35 airport price.

This morning my account showed a sticker balance of 6. I will wait until tomorrow to see how all this shakes out in my account and then call AAdvantage to get a refund for the $70.

Does any of this make sense or are the agents in BOS incompetent? Is there anywhere in the AAdvantage T&Cs that says the "complimentary" upgrades require that you have a positive 500-mile upgrade balance?
Old May 13, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Wrong. The agents in BOS are misinformed. You as an EXP never need to consider a balance in your account. Your upgrade has NOTHING to do with your 500-mile sticker balance.

Your son should have cleared and gotten the seat and your sticker balance should now be zero. I say challenge it with the EXP Desk (which means you might end up talking to Customer Servide).
Old May 13, 2014, 9:48 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
maybe we have a new enhancement with some kinks in it. the new bosses don't seem to think advance notice is required.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Stripe
Does any of this make sense or are the agents in BOS incompetent?
What time of day were you at the BOS AC? I know most of the morning crew and have never found them to be anything short of friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
What time of day were you at the BOS AC? I know most of the morning crew and have never found them to be anything short of friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.
Late afternoon. About 5:30 pm.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Well, at least it's a good thing that the website is so useful that we can check our 500 mile upgrade balances online easily. Oh wait.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Well, at least it's a good thing that the website is so useful that we can check our 500 mile upgrade balances online easily. Oh wait.
I agree about the shameful performance of aa.com, but as a workaround to this specific issue, the 500-mile upgrade balance is properly displayed and easily viewed on AA's mobile site.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
I agree about the shameful performance of aa.com, but as a workaround to this specific issue, the 500-mile upgrade balance is properly displayed and easily viewed on AA's mobile site.
I know. You can also view it in the code for the page source. I just wanted to vent my built-up FT snark. Long day at work!
Old May 14, 2014, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Since I only have 2 500-mile upgrade credits in my account (left over from almost two decades ago) and never earned any when doing my UA 1K status match/challenge two years ago, this can't be how it operates since I've continued to get my ExecPlat comp upgrades with no issues. I've never had enough to have taken out and reaccredited, so the BOS agents were incorrect about how this works for ExecPlats. (Unless this is a very recent "enhancement" since March when I last flew AA and all my upgrades cleared.)
Old May 14, 2014, 5:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
Wrong. The agents in BOS are misinformed. You as an EXP never need to consider a balance in your account. Your upgrade has NOTHING to do with your 500-mile sticker balance.

Your son should have cleared and gotten the seat and your sticker balance should now be zero. I say challenge it with the EXP Desk (which means you might end up talking to Customer Servide).
No, they are not. The system holds one until the upgrade clears, but it is never lost.
Old May 14, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by PainCorp
No, they are not. The system holds one until the upgrade clears, but it is never lost.
Sorry, you are 100% wrong. The system holds nothing.
Old May 14, 2014, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vasantn
Sorry, you are 100% wrong. The system holds nothing.
Ok. =)
Old May 14, 2014, 8:23 am

The system does hold a fake/dummy 1 upgrade for EXP. That might have caused a discrepancy.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by tonytifao
The system does hold a fake/dummy 1 upgrade for EXP. That might have caused a discrepancy.
So what you're saying is that the only time there will ever be a problem is when trying to use all remaining upgrades for a companion? In other words:

EXP with zero balance traveling alone: no problem, system holds dummy

EXP with positive balance traveling alone: no problem, doesn't matter if system holds dummy or live upgrade

EXP with zero balance traveling w/companion: no problem, holds dummy for EXP, EXP then has to buy for companion

EXP with >number needed for companion: no problem, doesn't matter if system holds dummy or real upgrade

EXP with exactly the number needed for companion: problem because the system will try and hold a real (since it exists) instead of making a dummy

That actually makes sense since the OP was being told that two were required for him (one for each segment) when in fact, if the OP were being charged upgrades or a hold were placed for the number required, the first segment alone would have required three.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
So what you're saying is that the only time there will ever be a problem is when trying to use all remaining upgrades for a companion? In other words:

EXP with zero balance traveling alone: no problem, system holds dummy

EXP with positive balance traveling alone: no problem, doesn't matter if system holds dummy or live upgrade

EXP with zero balance traveling w/companion: no problem, holds dummy for EXP, EXP then has to buy for companion

EXP with >number needed for companion: no problem, doesn't matter if system holds dummy or real upgrade

EXP with exactly the number needed for companion: problem because the system will try and hold a real (since it exists) instead of making a dummy

That actually makes sense since the OP was being told that two were required for him (one for each segment) when in fact, if the OP were being charged upgrades or a hold were placed for the number required, the first segment alone would have required three.
There you go again. Logic has no place on FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.