Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Combining paid and award tickets. Avoiding misconnect and UK departure tax?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Trying to book ATH-ORD. Can't find anything without an overnight in London within a couple days of desired travel date.

I can find LHR-ORD for 20K miles and ATH-LHR for $111. Anyway to pay the $111 and get AA to ticket as one ticket. I am not willing to risk responsibility for a misconnect as layover is only 135 minutes. Also don't want to pay the $100 UK departure tax.

As a side note its rather annoying that BA will sell a seat for $111 but won't release an award. They are getting like $40 in fuel surcharges anyways and the $111 probably includes much tax that they get zero revenue from.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:45 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
No, not really. A few people have reported being able to do that (in the consolidated thread on this topic), but no recent reports. I've spoken with some very good agents (as have others) who have said "can't be done."

I'm taking this as "no," at least in the present day.

Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:49 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
ib via mad?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
135 minutes / 2:15 connection at LHR, it's doable using the Flight Connections route, and if you missed it's the airline's responsibility to get you back, isn't it? But I might well do what clacko suggests and use Iberia via Madrid.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:50 pm
Suspended

LHR -> ORD is on which airline? If AA, you don't need to worry about getting both flights on one PNR because ATH -> LHR is on BA, a oneworld airline.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
LHR -> ORD is on which airline? If AA, you don't need to worry about getting both flights on one PNR because ATH -> LHR is on BA, a oneworld airline.
LHR-ORD would be on AA. But if I missconnect aren't I technically still at AA's mercy because I am on two separate tix. Also unless AA can somehow avoid paying the UK departure tax it still doesn't make sense to me.

There is no availability on the morning ATH-MAD flight and also none on MAD-ORD so IB is really of no help.

At this point my options are fly a week earlier, overnight in LHR, overnight at JFK, or use UA miles.

On a related question. If I book 10/23 flight ATH-LHR-ORD, is there any limitations as to what I can change. Could I change to IB if that opened up, or could I change to ATH-MAD-LHR-ORD if that opened up. I beleive on AA you can change carriers or connection points? If I am sure that I want to use AA miles and am sure that I will start in ATH and end in ORD then probably no harm in booking 10/23 and trying to change later.

Ideally I am looking for 10/30 or so.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by hindukid
LHR-ORD would be on AA. But if I missconnect aren't I technically still at AA's mercy because I am on two separate tix. Also unless AA can somehow avoid paying the UK departure tax it still doesn't make sense to me.

There is no availability on the morning ATH-MAD flight and also none on MAD-ORD so IB is really of no help.

At this point my options are fly a week earlier, overnight in LHR, overnight at JFK, or use UA miles.

On a related question. If I book 10/23 flight ATH-LHR-ORD, is there any limitations as to what I can change. Could I change to IB if that opened up, or could I change to ATH-MAD-LHR-ORD if that opened up. I beleive on AA you can change carriers or connection points? If I am sure that I want to use AA miles and am sure that I will start in ATH and end in ORD then probably no harm in booking 10/23 and trying to change later.

Ideally I am looking for 10/30 or so.
Even on separate tickets you are protected when connecting between oneworld carriers. This policy has been around for a couple years.

To your other question: you can change flights/routing for free as long as origin/destination remain the same and you are only switching between oneworld carriers (e.g. you couldn't change to a routing including 9W BRU-JFK etc.).
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
No you can't get award and revenue on one ticket and as a result you can't avoid UK APD travelling thru UK.

However if ATH-LHR is oneworld, LHR-ORD is AA and they are ticketed separately, you "might" get protected as per http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp.

However I've yet to read any real-world experience with this policy.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hindukid
AA's published policy is to help passengers who have multiple tickets so long as oneworld carriers are involved.

What departure tax are you talking about? Air passenger duty? Passenger service charge? Something else?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by seawolf
No you can't get award and revenue on one ticket and as a result you can't avoid UK APD travelling thru UK.
Having 2 tickets does not preclude an exemption from the air passenger duty.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
How would the passenger not get the APD collected in the first place (or refunded if collected) on a transit in UK on separate tickets in the OPs scenario?

I don't see a mechanism for passengers to obtain a APD refund directly from HM Revenue & Customs. So that leaves getting the refund from the airline (or not having it collected in the first place). I don't see the airline willing to waive it even on two separate revenue tickets/separate PNRs.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Do you actually know that for a fact, or are you surmising?

Section 4.4 of the Air Passenger Duty notice describes that it must be on one ticket, or at least conjunction tickets.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by deeruck
Do you actually know that for a fact, or are you surmising?

Section 4.4 of the Air Passenger Duty notice describes that it must be on one ticket, or at least conjunction tickets.
One ticket or a "flight summary" showing conjunction tickets.

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 16, 2012 at 2:37 pm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf

However if ATH-LHR is oneworld, LHR-ORD is AA and they are ticketed separately, you "might" get protected as per http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp.

However I've yet to read any real-world experience with this policy.
There's no might; it's quite a clear policy. "Treated as a through passenger" doesn't leave any wiggle room.

I have experience with it, on multiple occasions. It has taken some fairly lengthy phone calls to get multiple complicated reservations fixed (i.e., PNRA-PNRB-PNRC-PNRB-PNRA, with the Business Extraa desk involved as well), but AAgents are quite aware of the policy and happy to help.

I find this to be a significant inducement to fly Oneworld in circumstances where I otherwise might not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.