Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic [Discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic
[Discussion]

This thread discusses changes to the combined carrier's meal policy. On Friday, 14 Nov 2014, the following e-mail was sent to AAdvantage frequent flyers:

this after an apparent record of the percentage of complaints received in response to earlier announcements (80% of complaints were about the meal cutbacks),

On Monday, August 4th, 2014, American and US Airways both announced their plans for the final aligned meal service effective September 1st, 2014 for both carriers. This Wiki will touch upon in detail the new meal windows, parameters, and what to expect moving forward.

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-999 miles (2 – 2:45 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

1,000 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)*
Enjoy warmed mixed nuts, followed by a three-course meal including a warm cookie for dessert.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)*
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. On flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to A321 transcons, listed below.)

*There is no meal service on flights that depart after 8:00pm, only beverages and a snack basket. There is also no meal service on flights that depart before 5:00am.

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on A321 transcontinental service (JFK-LAX/SFO), although some members has clarified that LAX-MIA will continue to receive the same level of service. This still remains to be seen.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC, MEX (Effective 16-Oct-2014)
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL*, MCO, TPA*
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP, CAP, DCA (Effective 16-Oct-2014), IAD (Effective 16-Oct-2014)
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS (Effective 16-Oct-2014)
*Flights between JFK and TPA/FLL do not currently operate.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

It was reported from an internal source (but not formally announced) that American Eagle would be discontinuing plated meals and, instead, will offer snack boxes and/or chilled meal boxes on meal flights.

Based on the picture on the websites representing meal service, it is confirmed that American will use US Airways plates, bowls, and other servingware moving forward. Additionally, it has been speculated that tray linens will also be eliminated in lieu of the current US Airways paper tray liner. An AA Twitter representative, however, confirmed that buttonhole napkins would be here to stay.

Additionally on October 1st, American Eagle and US Airways Express flights will follow these same meal time frames with some variations to the service. Flights between approximately 176 and 999 miles will receive snack baskets, and meal flights will feature a chilled gourmet boxed meal. Some popular regional flights between approximately 700 and 999 miles will also receive a chilled gourmet boxed meal.

All information above has been gathered and/or copied from the AA website.

Links:
AA Meal Service
US Meal Service

HISTORICAL INFORMATION:

This section is purely vestigial, primarily concentrating on historical announcements prior to August 4th, showing a path from separate carrier policies to a combined policy.

On February 15, 2014, there was an internal announcement shared here, outlining changes to US Airways' meal policy, as well as a few minor changes on the AA side. The changes would occur in two phases: April and September.

April:
US Airways
The meal windows on US Airways has transitioned from the previous 3 1/2 hours and above window as of April 1st; now, they are serving meals on flights that are 2 hours and 45 minutes, and above (specified as 1,000 nautical miles in the announcement). Light snacks on flights under 2:45 hours has been added, featuring breakfast pastries and fresh fruit for morning flights, as well as finger sandwiches on later flights (known as Lite Bites). New meal window tiers has been added to standardize US Airways meal service:

• Less than an hour: Nut mix
  • 1 - 2 hours: Snack basket
  • 2 - 2:45 hours: Snack basket plus pastries/finger sandwiches (Lite Bites)
  • 2:45 hours - 3 1/2 hours: Meal service, no appetizer
  • 3 1/2 hours - 4 1/2 hours: Full meal, including an appetizer
  • 4 1/2 hours and above: Full meal service, accompanied by the snack basket

American
An expedited service for shorter, eastbound transatlantic flights (JFK-LHR/MAN/DUB) became the only choice in premium cabins. It was also announced that all eastbound transatlantic flights would receive a more streamlined service, but no visible differences has yet to be reported by FT members.

Over the course of this year (but all mentioned changes will discontinue on September 1st, with the exception of A321 transcons receiving three choices, as well as snack & brunch service for redeyes) a few notable improvements were made to transcontinental meal service, such as sorbets being offered as a breakfast/brunch dessert, supper service (an abbreviated dinner service without an appetizer and sundaes) that replaced snack service on redeyes, and three menu choices of entrees being offered instead of the previous two menu choices.

There were also a few cutbacks in the spring: on Flagship Transcontinental service (JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX), wherein marinated anti-pasto was discontinued in 3-class First Class lunch/dinner service; and in International First Class, where the wine-tasting course, grey placemats, and grey water glasses were eliminated in May.

Historical Weekly Updates (shared from an internal source):
6/14

• Emphasis on being a leader, not a follower, according to Doug Parker.
  • Catering and cabin equipment review in progress.
  • FA involvement team to be created.
  • US/IB codeshare has started these past few days.
  • Three cycles of the revision for the joint certificate have been approved by the FAA. FAs now have inflight manual revisions.
  • MIA and JFK catering issues are still being addressed.
  • Visual presentation of the beef in the sandwich on the second meal service from Europe to the United States is being reviewed by F&B and catering in Europe.

6/21
  • Leadership conference focused on restoring AA to greatness.

Reply to negative feedback via website form: (3.5 hr flight RNO-ORD)

Thank you for contacting American. We know that meal options are important to our customers, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your comments about the changes we have made to our First Class meal program.

There are no plans to discontinue the signature services that have set American Airlines apart over the years. In fact, we are investing millions in our product. This includes the existing premium transcontinental service on select markets, and the offering of certain elements that customers have come to appreciate over time such as warm mixed nuts on all meal flights, cookies and premium desserts on longer flights.

Our new Domestic First Class service footprint provides opportunities to not only streamline service but also to enhance the quality of current food components: new salads and entrees. Product offerings are be aligned with the length of flight. For example, appetizers have been added on certain flights, and a new snack basket concept has been introduced on shorter flights. New meal tray elements to modernize presentation have been introduced, including new china and a stemless wine glass.

A component of these changes is to make consistent between American and US Airways the length of flight where a full meal service is offered. Effective September 1, traditional meal service is offered in First Class on flights operated by American that are 2:45 or longer. While this has removed the traditional meal service from some markets served by American, the changes implemented at US Airways earlier this year added meals to many US Airways markets that traditionally have not offered a full meal service.

On flights from 2 hours to 2:45 in length we offer our customers a "Lite Bites" basket with a variety of food options including tea sandwiches, fresh fruit, breakfast breads and sweet and savory snacks. We will, of course, continue to offer complimentary beverages and snacks for our First Class customers on all of our flights, including beer, spirits and our award-winning wine selection.
Print Wikipost

Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic [Discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Quite the opposite IMO, if the quarter was bad, one of the first things that would be addressed is cost. A good quarter justifies the premium offering AA currently offers or is in the process of implementing [F cabin, better F meals, better hard product, etc], which will help the customers in the long run when they revisit their product offering.
Exactly. Smisek&Co. aren't trying to come up with $2 billion in spending cuts because because they are seeing record profits at UA. For those wanting worse Q3 results at AA as a "wake-up call" for management, be careful what you wish for.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Hey, there we are! Thanks a bunch! Now I know what to...er...look forward to...
The lite bites look like glorified vending machine food. Not something I would expect in a quality first class product.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Exactly. Smisek&Co. aren't trying to come up with $2 billion in spending cuts because because they are seeing record profits at UA. For those wanting worse Q3 results at AA as a "wake-up call" for management, be careful what you wish for.
But they're already cutting. Seems to me that with record profits they'd have an attitude more along the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Of course every business should always try to expand their profit margins no matter how profitable, but this (especially when also looking at UA's results) should be a clue to management that offering decent customer service can help contribute to profitability.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I'm going to be a little contrarian here and say the Lite Bites aren't bad in all cases.

Yesterday, the Mrs and I did a short ONT-PHX and we were given the light bites. Typically, on a comparable 1:10 flight, we'd get the crappy little snack pouch and that's it. This time, we got a snack basket and it had some Lite Bites choices. It had a blueberry breakfast cake, the rosemary square, and the turkey and swiss on a pretzel roll. They were actually quite good.

Now, I would have been disappointed seeing it on a traditional meal flight I take, such as BWI-PHX. However, it was better on shorter flights were only the snack basket of junk food is offered. Definitely a bit more substantial and more in line with a light meal.

I'd much rather see them served on small plates and be a bit more first class as well, but in some ways, it's a step up from what US offered previously. I don't want to see them taking the place of real dinners - especially where meals were previously offered. Though, given how bad the meal was on yesterday's PHX-DCA, I think I rather would have had the Lite Bites.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Lite Bites exist over at US since April 1st IIRC.
Ah, interesting. All my US flights have been either short hops or redeyes, so all I've seen is the snack basket.

Originally Posted by jwqflyer
The lite bites look like glorified vending machine food. Not something I would expect in a quality first class product.
Maybe my phrasing should have been "prepare for" rather than "look forward to"!

Originally Posted by TXguy
But they're already cutting. Seems to me that with record profits they'd have an attitude more along the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Of course every business should always try to expand their profit margins no matter how profitable, but this (especially when also looking at UA's results) should be a clue to management that offering decent customer service can help contribute to profitability.
Amazing how the desire for quarterly results can blind a management team to strategies that would be obvious to someone in the third week of a college marketing course. With the market consisting of UA and DL racing to the bottom, along with a bunch of LCCs and VX, AA has the clear opportunity to differentiate. And PM, they were. New planes, pumping the three-class transcons, throwback ads to the glory days of flying. And yet then the quarterly report mentality takes over...here we go, let's see if we can shave a few dollars here and there and turn ourselves into an undistinguishable commodity product...
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
I'm going to be a little contrarian here and say the Lite Bites aren't bad in all cases.

Yesterday, the Mrs and I did a short ONT-PHX and we were given the light bites. Typically, on a comparable 1:10 flight, we'd get the crappy little snack pouch and that's it. This time, we got a snack basket and it had some Lite Bites choices. It had a blueberry breakfast cake, the rosemary square, and the turkey and swiss on a pretzel roll. They were actually quite good.
Do they let you take more than one?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by SJC AA
The important question!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
What is AA doing/serving on its ORD-BOS and ORD-LA flights which are only 2 hours and used to be full meal service to be competitive with UA?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by nologic
What is AA doing/serving on its ORD-BOS and ORD-LA flights which are only 2 hours and used to be full meal service to be competitive with UA?
Did you read the sticky at the top of the page? Currently, AA is doing its "normal" service on those flights. As of September 1st, it's allegedly going to the service noted in the sticky at the top of the page.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa
Did you read the sticky at the top of the page? Currently, AA is doing its "normal" service on those flights. As of September 1st, it's allegedly going to the service noted in the sticky at the top of the page.
I realize that the service is supposed to be reduced per the new schedule. I am questioning whether AA will make competitive exceptions. I think the current meal is already a competitive exception.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Superguy

Now, I would have been disappointed seeing it on a traditional meal flight I take, such as BWI-PHX. However, it was better on shorter flights were only the snack basket of junk food is offered. Definitely a bit more substantial and more in line with a light meal.

I'd much rather see them served on small plates and be a bit more first class as well, but in some ways, it's a step up from what US offered previously. I don't want to see them taking the place of real dinners - especially where meals were previously offered. Though, given how bad the meal was on yesterday's PHX-DCA, I think I rather would have had the Lite Bites.
But it's a step down - a major step down - from what AA currently offers.

It's also important to note that routes like ONT-PHX are too short for even the lite bites basket under the new policy. They will get just the regular snack basket.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Out of curiosity, how does AA/US keep items that need to be kept cold "cold"...I upgraded to first on the post-9pm MCI-PHX flight recently. The plane had been catered before it left Phoenix for MCI about 4 hours before (the departure from Phoenix was delayed). I had two the "lite bites" turkey and cheese on a pretzel bun sandwich and ended up with a nasty case of food poisoning. What kind of refrigeration do they have on the a319s?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I took a sandwich and a breakfast cake at first. I went up and asked the FA for another sandwich and he gave me one no questions asked.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TXguy
But it's a step down - a major step down - from what AA currently offers.

It's also important to note that routes like ONT-PHX are too short for even the lite bites basket under the new policy. They will get just the regular snack basket.
I don't doubt that it is. Considering I haven't set foot on an AA plane yet, I can't comment on the service. I'm just saying it's a step up on the US side.

I was surprised that they were there. We flew PHX-ONT on Monday night and they weren't - just a regular snack basket. That's what I expected on the return yesterday, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the Lite Bites. I don't know if it was a leftover from a previous flight or what.

If it were me, I'd put them in as a staple on the snack basket. If the flight gets a snack basket, it should get them as well. They don't take up anymore room than a bag of chips, and I think it's a nice enhancement to the basket service.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum Card, Global Entry
Generally yes, although I always like to refrain from taking two, at least initially, to make sure everyone gets one.

Someone made a comment about them not tasting bad. Yes, the one with pesto and sun dried tomato (rosemary square?) is good, as is the turkey/ham one, but they recently had a box with a jalapeno and cream cheese and a chicken curry sandwich. What on earth was the person who paired those two sandwiches in the same box? I dont like curry or cream cheese, so I went hungry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.