Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and DL / Delta abandon interline agreement 15 Sep '15 (restored 1/18)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

American and Delta no longer will maintain an interline agreement as of Tuesday, 15?September, 2015. That means they will no longer sell flights / tickets on each other's airline, and connecting passengers will have to collect checked baggage and take it to the other airline's counter to check it in.

American Airlines, Delta Air Lines to end interline agreement 15,Sep 2015

Terry Maxon, Dallas News Aviation Business Blog
Published: September 10, 2015 6:29 pm

In part: “We have been unable to come to terms on an agreement with Delta and, as a result, have mutually agreed to end our interline agreement effective Sept. 15,” American spokesman Casey Norton said Thursday evening. “From that date, neither airline will offer interline services to each other, including the ability to rebook passengers at discounted rates on the other carrier when flight disruptions occur.”

and Norton said the expiration on Tuesday will not affect any interline tickets already purchased for travel on or after that date.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...greement.html/
Though this does affect displaced passengers from IROPS because AA will not sell DL tickets or endorse AA tickets over to DL, AA spokesperson Norton claimed AA passengers affected by IROPS would be minimally inconvenienced because “With nine hubs and gateways and nearly 7,000 daily flights, we have more ability to re-route our customers during operational disruption than any other airline in the world.”
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Per a post on a.net, this is the letter that went out earlier today:

Dear Airport Agents, Premium Services Representatives and Reservations Representatives,

Thank you for yet another successful holiday weekend. We ran a great operation this Labor Day (for our international colleagues, Labor Day is a three-day weekend that generally marks the end of summer), getting millions of customers to their holiday destinations. We couldn’t have done it without all of your hard work, and the rest of our team, too. And a little cooperation from Mother Nature didn’t hurt either!

As you know, we’ve been very focused on ensuring that we have strong service recovery programs in place to help during those times when the weather isn’t on our side or when other disruptions to our operation occur. One tool that we use to help get customers back on their way during irregular operations are the interline agreements we have with various carriers that allow us to reaccommodate passengers on other airlines at a negotiated rate. These agreements also allow airlines to book, sell, ticket, and check baggage on one another. Interline agreements are common across the industry and they generally include a standard, discounted rate for calculating how much is owed by one carrier to another to use their seats during irregular operations.

In April of this year, participating airlines across the industry agreed to new rates for moving customers between carriers during irregular operations. Delta recently decided to go outside of that joint agreement and negotiate an individual agreement with American. We have been unable to come to terms on an agreement with Delta and, as a result, have mutually agreed to end our interline agreement effective September 15.

From that date, neither airline will offer interline services to each other, including the ability to rebook passengers at discounted rates on the other carrier when flight disruptions occur. (Note that we will continue to honor valid tickets already purchased on or before September 14 through the existing interline agreement, so there will be no changes there.)

While this is a change, it will not affect our commitment to reaccommodate customers during irregular operations. The new American now has the world’s largest and best network and our team is doing a great job of running a reliable airline. With nine hubs and gateways and nearly 7,000 daily flights, we have more ability to re-route our customers during operational disruption than any other airline in the world. We also have options with our joint business and oneworld partners, plus we have an interline agreement with United, which has the second largest network, and many other airlines, such as Alaska Airlines.

We will have Q&As and guidelines available in Web Ref soon, and of course your station management will be available to answer any questions and provide additional details.

Thanks again for all of your exceptional work and your commitment to our customers.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
The word on the street, as far as I know (maybe Jon can provide more clarity) is that Delta wanted more money and AA refused to pay.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:06 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
DL made the right move here. AA has more IROPs than DL (at this time). It is being discussed here as well http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...agreement.html
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:22 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
I was just informed of this tonight while trying to get rebooked from a cancelled AA flight onto a DL flight later today (staying on AA would have meant I would be stuck overnight). Agent said that I'm lucky this happened before the change goes into effect Tuesday. While I can see why the carriers did this, it seems it will end up affecting passengers negatively, especially during IRROPS out of smaller airports that may not have much United presence.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:54 am
Suspended

what can we not book? DL flight numbers or DL metal? ie, can i get rebooked on an AS flight number operated by DL?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
This will make AA's already industry trailing IRROPs recovery even more difficult.

“With nine hubs and gateways and nearly 7,000 daily flights, we have more ability to re-route our customers during operational disruption than any other airline in the world.”
This is my favorite quote I think. Okay AA, if that's the case then why are you so AAwful at it to begin with? This isn't really a merger casualty either. AA's IRROPs handling has, in recent history at least, never been up to the level one would hope. At least before the merger and the banked hub fiasco, we didn't see quite as many misconnects. By removing a third of the options when it comes to recovery flights, this is going to negatively affect AA's IRROPs handling in a major way, despite the corporate nonsense that Casey Norton has said to try and smooth this over.

This is just a case of #cheAAp at the expense of the consumer.

Last edited by cmd320; Sep 11, 2015 at 8:37 am
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
what can we not book? DL flight numbers or DL metal? ie, can i get rebooked on an AS flight number operated by DL?
Both. Basically DL will take no revenue and carry no bags from AA. Thus if you want to fly on Delta you go to www.delta.com, book and pay for your own ticket, try to get your luggage back from AA and recheck it and pay any applicable baggage fees to DL.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
I'm not sure I ever heard of AA booking a DL codeshare on AS in cases of IROPS. Certainly I was booked on AS prime flights those times something went wrong atvSMF and I was rerouted.

I'm unconvinced about reports this was done because of AA having more IROPS than DL. After all, that means DL was getting paid for seats that otherwise would fly empty.

It appears DL wanted more $ than AA was willing to pay in IROPS cases where a flyer was endorsed over / rebooked to Delta.

That's definitely going to impact available alternatives for AA and DL flyers needing re accommodation, regardless of spokes people's blithe assertions it won't. My BS meter pegged as I read that. Again. (It gets very twitchy at the word "enhancement", as well.)
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DWFI
The word on the street, as far as I know (maybe Jon can provide more clarity) is that Delta wanted more money and AA refused to pay.
I'd say it's a version of that.

For quite some time now DL has refused to play the rule 240 game by the rules and that's been a source of frustration for AA for quite a while now.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
This is remarkable, since essentially every major, normal (ie not-WN etc) airline has historically had interline agreements with essentially every other.

I presume it also means an end to the technical ability of AA and DL to interline checked bags between each other on separate tickets (whether or not either airline is currently willing to do so).
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'd say it's a version of that.

For quite some time now DL has refused to play the rule 240 game by the rules and that's been a source of frustration for AA for quite a while now.
+1. I have had a couple of IRROPs that forced the connection from AA to DL, and it has been dismal. It's not a welcoming news especially when you are in JFK/LGA where DL has more non-stops than AA to NE or SE locations.

But this is where the the fallacy of hubs comes into play. We are well back to the dark ages - You are on your own. Somehow this world has descended to transparency issues with DL reservation system, fare inventory blocking, seat map blocking(unless you are ticketed), the condescending agents at various locations including LGA/JFK, the unwillingness to help distressed passengers during IRROPs, causing more overnights, and expense on travelers' pocket/

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Sep 11, 2015 at 10:02 am
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
+1. I have had a couple of IRROPs that forced the connection from AA to DL, and it has been dismal. It's not a welcoming news especially when you are in JFK/LGA where DL has more non-stops than AA to NE or SE locations.
Yes, in the opinion of many, DL essentially "pulled out" of rule 240 reaccomodation available to other carriers (in effect, obviously, not literally-- just be being obstructionist about it) a while ago. So, AA was fed up with it, is what I'm led to believe.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
It's a very disappointing development. I'm not a fan at all of DL, but I fly in and out of ATL quite a bit. When AA has IRROPS involving ATL, AA options or AA alternate routings have always seemed to be unavailable or a huge problem to utilize.

So, I've been put on DL by AA a number of times to keep me from getting stuck overnight. It's not good news at all that this option is going away.

If my current itinerary structure stays the same next year, I may have to reconsider my carrier choices.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Sorry to be so uninformed - but what's rule 240?

And this sucks btw. Always nice to have DL available as a backup should AA ops go awry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.