Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2016)
Please read this wiki carefully; some fine nuances exist.

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THE CONTENT OF THIS MODERATOR NOTE

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to editing (strikethrough) or deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the listed resources before posting here.
  • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership, a Citi AAdvantage Executive card (which includes full Admirals Club membership), and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
  • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
  • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.
Note: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups should use this thread: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Meet Up & Guest Offer (master thread)

Also see the future changes in lounges and access: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Changes, Renovations & Additions

As well, note Expanded Access to Flagship Lounge Coming "in Spring 2017"

Sincerely,
The American Airlines | AAdvantage forum Moderator Team
(Help Desk established by dstan)

=================end mod note===================

oneworld Lounge Access
Wizard by kduarte.

Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club one day pass, or via Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (including, as of Dec 20-5, authorized card users), reciprocity agreements with other airlines, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) or Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J classes of service. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on aa.com. Threads about these are linked to in the American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD thread.

Admirals Club members paid or Executive cardholder members) are entitled guests as follows:

Up to two guests or household members (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under the age of 18) may accompany the member.
* Note that AA no longer offers a 30-day membership as of July 25 2016.

For AA status-based access (PLT or EXP),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in Mexico), and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day. PLT members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP members are also eligible for access to all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.

Lounges operated by third parties or premium lunges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room, Qatar Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges) may be excluded, and all may may refuse admittance if they claim they are crowded. There are other exceptions.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

Another confusing rule relates to transcontinental access. From member FriendlySkies:

Traveling on a Non-Stop Transcontinental* Flight? http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

On September 1, 2012, access to the Admirals Club® and Flagship Lounge® changed for customers traveling on an American Airlines certain non-stop transcontinental flight.

If you are traveling in the First or Business class cabin (on flights sold as three classes) in one of the following non-stop markets, we welcome you to visit the lounge as indicated below.

The following exceptions apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access. one world lounge access page - link
On February 17 2016, AA announced an addition to the above. As stated on their Reimagining our lounges page, in the Flagship Lounges section, "Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."

In the Flagship Dining subsection, they state:

Beginning in early 2017, the Flagship Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

● Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)

● New York (JFK)

● Miami (MIA)

● Los Angeles (LAX)

First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship Dining in 2017
(Note that "in 2017" does not mean "starting January 1 2017". We have been informed that "we don't have a specific date yet.")

All Admirals Club visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs (password is available at front desk and throughout the Club on signs), some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages and counter snacks (fruit, some kind of snack mix, cheese cubes, hot cereal mornings and soup evenings are the most common - recent additions have been made); free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers and tethered Samsung Galaxy tablets in seating areas. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

Flagship Lounges (JFK, LAX, LHR and ORD) offer extended beverages and upscale snack services as well. See below for link.

NOTE: US Airways Clubs have been rebranded as Admirals Clubs; full consolidation has occurred. Some Clubs are undergoing refurbishment.

Citi Prestige MasterCard holder Admirals Club access ends July 23, 2017.

American Express Platinum cardholder Admirals Club access ended 21 March 2014.

NOTE: It has been verified more airports are allowing multiple terminal access on one's day of departure. LAX has been one since mid-2014, so this has added the oneworld Business and Qantas First lounges at the TBIT international terminal for passengers departing TBIT; the Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge, and Alaska Airlines Board Room to the scope of lounges one might access (depending on status or class of service eligibility).

Admirals Club access is granted the day of flight for statusholders flyingone world and those flying F or J, or the following day at the first port of arrival if flying overnight and arriving by 0600.

Airports requiring Lounge users have a same day departure boarding pass include BOG, CCS, CDG, GIG, GRU, LHR, MEX, NRT, SCL, YYZ.

N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. They also require AAdvantage members be traveling on a departing AA marketed flight.

Please see the following resources for full details on Lounge Access Rules: (and see below)

. . . oneworld Lounge Access Wizard, created by FlyerTalk member imagineertobe

. . . ● AA.com: Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: American Airlines Flagship Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: Reimaging our lounges

. . . ● AA.com: Admirals Club Membership Guide in a downloadable PDF format.

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT: American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD

For various threads on membership, access by status, transcon service, class of service, Flagship lounge access, lounges directory with links to specific lounge threads, Club member access to partner lounges, recipripocity agreements, etc.

. . . ● FT Help Desk: Lounge Access and Lounge Access Rules [ARCHIVED]

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Gotcha. Well if you're trying to get into BA's lounges on your AA status, AA's rules get you nowhere. Your two sources will be oneworld lounge access policies and BA's rules. Since the BA website's lounge access rules are notoriously BA-focused, with a smattering of IB for good measure but not so much mention of oneworld status, you'll be reliant on oneworld lounge access rules in this situation. As quoted above, these rules are quite clear that you're not entitled to access, therefore it's not a matter of interpretation, it's a matter of the rules putting this request clearly outside of their provision.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Microwave
Gotcha. Well if you're trying to get into BA's lounges on your AA status, AA's rules get you nowhere. Your two sources will be oneworld lounge access policies and BA's rules. Since the BA website's lounge access rules are notoriously BA-focused, with a smattering of IB for good measure but not so much mention of oneworld status, you'll be reliant on oneworld lounge access rules in this situation. As quoted above, these rules are quite clear that you're not entitled to access, therefore it's not a matter of interpretation, it's a matter of the rules putting this request clearly outside of their provision.
Thanks for the details; much appreciated. I'm quite content in the Admirals Clubs, but I have a long layover there on Monday and thought I'd check out the BA clubs if I could. So no worries. Happy to know!
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:22 am

Hey guys!

I am pretty new to AA and AAdvantage.

I have two questions:
1. I am flying first (on a 3 cabin plane) from LAX to MIA and connecting the same day to CNF in biz. Do I have flagship lounge and check in access in LAX?

2. By the time I will be Platinum. I have following itinerary in economy from GRU-Hawaii:
GRU-LAX (arriving in LAX at 6:50 am)
LAX-PHX (same day departing at 5:45 pm)
PHX-HNL (next day departing at 9:00 am)

KOA-LAX (arriving in LAX at 9:45 pm)
LAX-GRU (departing next day at 9:20 pm)

I understand that at GRU and LAX on the last leg I will have lounge access and I can bring one guest that is taking the same flights. What about at the other airports? Do I need to present a physical AAdvantage card to access the lounge?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:31 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
JFK T8 Flagship Lounge as Arrivals Lounge?

Hi All, Apologies if this has been answered before- have a 12 hour layover on an intl-intl connection and wanted to know if it could be possible to clear security and use the AA flagship lounge for a couple of hours and then head to town and back again couple of hours before the departure.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ashkale
Hi All, Apologies if this has been answered before- have a 12 hour layover on an intl-intl connection and wanted to know if it could be possible to clear security and use the AA flagship lounge for a couple of hours and then head to town and back again couple of hours before the departure.
Do you qualify? Your profile says "EXP", but give no information on where you are flying to.
"International" is not enough of a description

From aa.com
We offer complimentary access if you are:

A First Class customer with a same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day) itinerary that includes a qualifying international* or 3-class transcontinental flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld® airline

An AAdvantage® Executive Platinum member (regardless of cabin flown) departing or connecting to a qualifying international* flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline

A oneworld® EmeraldSM customer** (regardless of cabin flown) departing or connecting to any flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mvoight
Do you qualify?

From aa.com
We offer complimentary access if you are:

A First Class customer with a same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day) itinerary that includes a qualifying international* or 3-class transcontinental flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld® airline

An AAdvantage® Executive Platinum member (regardless of cabin flown) departing or connecting to a qualifying international* flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline

A oneworld® EmeraldSM customer** (regardless of cabin flown) departing or connecting to any flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline
Yes on both counts, then?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Assuming you're flying in on American into JFK-- and not another OW carrier at JFK-- as the post just states "intl-intl connection"--- you'll arrive at T-8, and first will need to clear U.S Customs and Immigration. You'll then need to re-clear security upon re-entering T-8, and proceed to the Admirals Club entrance near gate 12 [the Flagship Lounge is connected to the AC there].

Said process may take anywhere from 1 hour to possibly 1.5 hours depending upon arrival time at JFK, and whether you have TSA PreCheck and/or Global Entry.

If you're wanting to maximize your 12 hours in NYC, I'd re-check my bags with AA, then head to town first; then come back a bit early to enjoy the FL before your flight time to avoid having to go through security twice.

But if the hassle of clearing security twice is worth it to you for some decent free food, and mid-shelf free booze, go for it.

Last edited by Max M; Jan 24, 2016 at 3:58 am
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
My biggest concern is after all that free booze you may be too toasted to go to town... you want to stay in the airport for 12 hours all wasted?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:02 am
Suspended

Thanks! Actually its the showers, and a possibility to leave hand carried items at the lounge.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Adriano(SP)
1. I am flying first (on a 3 cabin plane) from LAX to MIA and connecting the same day to CNF in biz. Do I have flagship lounge and check in access in LAX?
Yes.

Do I need to present a physical AAdvantage card to access the lounge?
No, they can look it up by your AAdvantage number, though the card makes it faster since it can be swiped.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:48 am

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Can't say I recall there being an 'honor' luggage hold in the Admiral Club where the Flagship lounge is located. That said, 10+ hours leaving a bag unattended in a lounge - in NYC...between the risk of the bag sprouting 'legs' and walking along with the general concerns of unattended bags in a post 9/11 world - I don't think I would even consider leaving that bag unattended for that period of time (...and I live in NY)

If you look up on the Port Authority website - one of the terminals has a service where you can check a bag for a fee.

Alternatively, check your bag - and keep a small knapsack with you which you won't mind carrying around NYC.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
where are you thinking you'd store these luggage? they won't watch it for you.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hey guys!

I am pretty new to AA and AAdvantage.

I have two questions:
Afaik, it must be sold as three cabin service. Then, yes.

2. By the time I will be Platinum.
Be sure your bookings have been updated to reflect your new status so it will appear on your boarding passes and you can have access and use your benefits.

I have following itinerary in economy from GRU-Hawaii:
GRU-LAX (arriving in LAX at 6:50 am)
LAX-PHX (same day departing at 5:45 pm)
PHX-HNL (next day departing at 9:00 am)
Day 1, yes, GRU, LAX. Day 2, no.

KOA-LAX (arriving in LAX at 9:45 pm)
LAX-GRU (departing next day at 9:20 pm)
Day 2, yes, LAX. (Day 1 it doesn't matter - nobody has a lounge at KOA - but no if they did.)

I understand that at GRU and LAX on the last leg I will have lounge access and I can bring one guest that is taking the same flights. What about at the other airports? Do I need to present a physical AAdvantage card to access the lounge?

Thanks for the help!
At those airports where you have access, you will be able to guest in a person on those flights.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Terminal 4 has the paid bag storage - taking the train around the loop wastes some time.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Yes on both counts, then?
If you meet one of the qualifications, then the answer is yet.
In regard to the PM relating to my eyesight.

1. The profile might say a certain status, but experience here has shown the profile information is not always up to date.
2. Saying international to international doesn't mean it is a lounge qualifying trip. This is why I asked stating current status and routing information is helpful in an accurate answer, so even if your status is EXP it doesn't mean you get lounge access simply for being on an international flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.