Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Longboater
Thank you for the information as always. I assume by next summer the A332 will all have wifi and only the 17 767s remaining past 2018 will receive wifi.
Assuming things go smoothly, that's the plan.
Not sure how quickly the 757s will cycle through, but the 35-37 number still holds.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YtravelF
The first A332 to get wifi is in mods right now. Waiting on certification apparently.
Also, the 763s are going to get wifi (again).

I believe they still hope to have the first 757 rolled out by the end of the year. The first one should be in the shops after the summer schedule ends in late August.

ETA: I'm not speculating.
Nice, thanks for the info!
Old Aug 12, 2016, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Longboater
It'll be an achievement if they can finish all 35-37 of them in just over a one year timespan, that is if they are keeping that many. If the timeline hasn't changed, I assume the first should go into mods before the end of the year.
Are they planning on doing around three dozen 757s in a lie-flat J configuration? There are only around a dozen TATL 757 routes between LAA and LUS during the peak summer months (and only a handful in the off-season). Plus a few flights to South America.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
Anyone know what the deal is with the AUS-PHL direct route? There were a bunch of press releases and news articles about this route starting in, I think, June. I've been using it since it started -- Monday AM flight to PHL and Thursday evening to AUS. The morning flight moved from 6am to 8am last week and I can't find it at all past next week...and the return flight is also gone soon.

Do they normally give up on a route so fast? The flights I've been on are full and fairly expensive. Although I don't know about other days.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by maracle
Anyone know what the deal is with the AUS-PHL direct route? There were a bunch of press releases and news articles about this route starting in, I think, June. I've been using it since it started -- Monday AM flight to PHL and Thursday evening to AUS. The morning flight moved from 6am to 8am last week and I can't find it at all past next week...and the return flight is also gone soon.

Do they normally give up on a route so fast? The flights I've been on are full and fairly expensive. Although I don't know about other days.
Actually the AUS-PHL morning flight moved from 6am to 8am on 7/5.

It looks like they will drop the morning flight around 8/29, but it is back in Oct and back to a 6am departure. I am not sure why they cannot maintain the 2x day, but Sept is slow. They are also dealing with the 4x weekly F9 flights.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
St. George, Utah will be launched with daily CRJ service from Phoenix on November 4th.

St. George is where Skywest is headquartered. Skywest is will be an at-risk route for Skywest.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by MAH4546
St. George, Utah will be launched with daily CRJ service from Phoenix on November 4th.

St. George is where Skywest is headquartered. Skywest is will be an at-risk route for Skywest.
Nice! This will make visiting Zion National Park much easier then having to do the long drive from Vegas.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm, AA Gold
Nice to see SGU make it into the network. PHX seems to be getting lots of regional adds lately, hoping COS might be next on the list.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
All this over a simple job posting from three weeks ago.

AA is also hiring flight attendants who speak French, Spanish, Korean, German, Portuguese, Japanese, Cantonese, Chinese and Italian (these were all posted in June):

http://careers.aa.com/en/ac/careers?...eld=&keywords=
I don't see them soliciting other languages on social media and those other languages wouldn't be noteworthy anyway.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:12 pm

332 rotations added to PHL-BOS.
11/14
PHL-BOS
332 on 2pm and 350pm departures.

Back filling the capacity after gradually going from ~18 flights to ~10.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:32 pm

Any chance AA adds more domestic routes to DFW, that might already have CLT or PHX service?

Some guesses, maybe
MDT-DFW. It is said that a lot of MDT traffic bleeds to BWI, and it's possible that WN is capturing some of that via BWI-DAL. An AA nonstop out of MDT might keep Central PA passengers to use MDT when traveling to Dallas, than flock down to BWI and have a choice to go with WN. And vice-versa, for those from Dallas heading to Central PA (Harrisburg-Lebanon-Lancaster-York)

CAK-DFW. Granted CAK is an alternate airport of CLE, but AA seems to dominate CLE-DFW. At a time of domination of CLE-DFW, it could hold it's strength with even with a 1x daily of CAK-DFW possibly. It probably wouldn't want NK adding CAK-DFW before it held it on it's own.

OAK-DFW. Another route that NK dropped like CLE-DFW. Now this is interesting, that if NK is out of the picture, it could be good that AA won't have to worry about a downward fare pressure from NK. However, if NK couldn't make it work with O&D passengers, maybe AA would have a problem that OAK is too much a regional airport for most passengers to consider flying far. WN might be an exception, that it can make some non-regional routes work. WN does fly DAL-OAK and AA's main competition would be WN AA could be able to capture some of that East Bay to Dallas traffic that WN might be getting.

With Dallas being a growing region, there is likely growing O&D from these secondary markets or sub-markets of large markets.

Which other markets might AA add to DFW, that might be already serviced by CLT on the East, or PHX on the West?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by nova08
332 rotations added to PHL-BOS.
11/14
PHL-BOS
332 on 2pm and 350pm departures.

Back filling the capacity after gradually going from ~18 flights to ~10.
Couldn't this just be to fill up the 332's schedule, like the A321Ts operating JFK-BOS?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by beyondhere
Any chance AA adds more domestic routes to DFW, that might already have CLT or PHX service?

Some guesses, maybe
MDT-DFW. It is said that a lot of MDT traffic bleeds to BWI, and it's possible that WN is capturing some of that via BWI-DAL. An AA nonstop out of MDT might keep Central PA passengers to use MDT when traveling to Dallas, than flock down to BWI and have a choice to go with WN. And vice-versa, for those from Dallas heading to Central PA (Harrisburg-Lebanon-Lancaster-York)

CAK-DFW. Granted CAK is an alternate airport of CLE, but AA seems to dominate CLE-DFW. At a time of domination of CLE-DFW, it could hold it's strength with even with a 1x daily of CAK-DFW possibly. It probably wouldn't want NK adding CAK-DFW before it held it on it's own.

OAK-DFW. Another route that NK dropped like CLE-DFW. Now this is interesting, that if NK is out of the picture, it could be good that AA won't have to worry about a downward fare pressure from NK. However, if NK couldn't make it work with O&D passengers, maybe AA would have a problem that OAK is too much a regional airport for most passengers to consider flying far. WN might be an exception, that it can make some non-regional routes work. WN does fly DAL-OAK and AA's main competition would be WN AA could be able to capture some of that East Bay to Dallas traffic that WN might be getting.

With Dallas being a growing region, there is likely growing O&D from these secondary markets or sub-markets of large markets.

Which other markets might AA add to DFW, that might be already serviced by CLT on the East, or PHX on the West?
I think MDT-DFW is way overdue. I could see them eliminating a frequency from MDT-CLT and moving it to MDT-DFW, something like 1x daily E175 or A319. But LAA even has trouble running capacity to ORD from MDT. It's been stable at 3x daily CR7s this summer, but drops capacity this winter again. So much MDT traffic bleeds to BWI and even PHL.

I think ORD-COS and PHX-COS are no-brainers too.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Couldn't this just be to fill up the 332's schedule, like the A321Ts operating JFK-BOS?
It's probably both. LUS seemed to run the A332s that arrived from Europe on quick CLT turns in between their early afternoon arrival and late evening departures. It probably makes more sense to run them on BOS turns and reduce frequencies for the rest of the flights in congested airspace. Presumably higher-yielding traffic on BOS-PHL-Europe that would prefer lie-flats, too.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Very likely both. They aren't going to fill up the 332 schedule and fly a short hop (assuming no delays) if they only anticipate a 60% LF.

The 332 has never been used on PHL-BOS during the winter downtime when 332's were regularly used on PHL/CLT-MCO/SJU/CUN/PUJ. Though for the past 3-5 years PHL-BOS operated with 16-19 flts/day.

Currently the 350pm departure is a 752 that has a LIS-PHL-BOS-PHL-LIS routing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.