Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW and the AA / C. R. Smith Museum in Dallas (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
C. R. Smith Museum
American Airlines history, 1940 DC-3 "Flagship Knoxville" NC-21798

American Airlines C.R. Smith Museum
4601 Texas Highway 360
Fort Worth, Texas 76155
817-967-1560
Online store: http://store.crsmithmuseum.org/store/

Hours: The Museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Museum is closed on Sundays and Mondays. See site for exceptions (summer Sundays)

Guides: most are volunteers, retired AA employees.

Tickets: Museum Members: No Charge
Adult – $7;
Senior Citizens 65+, Military, Students (with ID), Children 2-17: $4:, Infants: No Charge

The C.R. Smith Museum takes visitors on a flight through American Airlines history, with interactive exhibits that entice participation by all age groups. The museum features hundreds of historical artifacts, photographs, full-scale aircraft engines and a rare Douglas DC-3 airliner. In addition, the museum’s state of the art 4K digital theater features Pursuit of Flight, a film, featuring the history and physics of aviation from ancient times through today.(Some memorabilia from TW, US, HP as well.)

Flyable AA Douglas DC-3 NC-21798 "Flagship Knoxville" - c/n 2202, built NOV 1940

More photos: link to Airways Magazine photos of C. R. Smith Museum

Link to Brendan Healey's photos of museum

Getting there:

From DFW airport: taxi (three miles, $19.50 each way due to taxi minima)

Über.

Unofficial: look for crew bus area, take AA Training and Conference Center / Flight Academy shuttle bus (half-hourly) and get dropped off at Museum. N. B. Transport is space available only (employees on business have priority).

Originally Posted by JonNYC
These are directions for free van transport to the American Airlines Training and Conference Center, which I think is right on the same plot (and same side of the highway, I think.)

And generic driving instructions (but not to the Museum specifically-- to AATCC):
"From D/FW Airport:
Take the South exit out of DFW. Take the Highway 360 South Arlington exit, which bears to the right. Exit 1/4 mile onto the access road to FAA Road. Continue to the three-way stop sign. Go straight through intersection. "

Address of the Smith Museum:
4601 Texas Highway 360 at FAA Road
Fort Worth, Texas
Originally Posted by Aldoman
I'll be having a 6 hour stopover at DFW and I really want to go to the museum, but I'm a cheap student not willing to spend more than a couple of bucks to go there so I made some googling and what I could get was:

1.- You take the shuttle from your terminal to the South Remote Parking Lot. (I believe it's free, and every 15min)
2.- You take the shuttle from the South Remote Parking Lot to the "Centreport/DFW" TRE Station. (I believe it's free, and every 15 min)
3.- You take the "T 30 Centreport Circulator" which costs $1.50 o/w from the Centerport/DFW TRE Station to the AA Flight Academy. The catch: It's only Monday through Friday, 1 bus every 45 minutes and it just works during commuting time (6:00 to 8:00 and 15:00 to 18:00)...

Update: 2 Aug 2015 JDiver
Print Wikipost

DFW and the AA / C. R. Smith Museum in Dallas (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2007, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), Hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by rtwdone4
I will be having a 1 day stop at DFW and just wondering what is there to do in both Forth Worth and Dallas.

I thought I read somewhere there is an AA Aviation museum somewhere near DFW?

Also is there a memorial of JFK in Dallas?
renting a car is a necessity.

depending on what time you get in

here are some stops and restaurant recommendations

sights to see
1) http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com/
If you like aviation, this place is great

2) http://www.dwazoo.com/info.html
Very well done exhibits

3) http://www.nashersculpturecenter.org...PageID=1000001
World class sculpture exhibit. Dallas Museum of Art is right next door

Lunch (or Dinner)
http://www.miastexmex.com/
Astounding Tex-Mex

Dinner (sushi)
http://www.guidelive.com/portal/page...L&item_id=4770
Amazing sushi. great place for a single to eat. Good bar for people watching, and great pub (The Old Monk) across the street

Breakfast
http://www.breadwinnerscafe.com/
good for what ails ya!

There is also a brand new House of Blues for live music. I would also check out DallasObserver.com to see what other live music is in the area
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:36 am
Suspended

Thanks.

I don't think I will be driving as I don't know the roads at all and don't want to have to deal with parking etc..

How much will a taxi from DFW to Dallas Downtown or Fort Worth Downtown?

Also I am still debating whether to stay at the airport or stay in Dallas/Fort Worth?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:49 am
FTW

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
How much will a taxi from DFW to Dallas Downtown or Fort Worth Downtown?
Downtown Dallas... $40-$45
Downtown Fort Worth... $45-$55

http://www.dfwairport.com/transport/taxis.html
Old Jul 11, 2007, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FTW

Thanks. It looks like I will be better off staying in DFW (the Grand Hyatt seems to a nice hotel and I can checkin for my AA flights there???)

Then take public transport, if such thing actually exisits?

the 5 things I want to do:

1) AA museum
2) JFK memorial and museum
3) Texas style food
4) Shopping
5) any other worthwhile sights?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 10:08 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
3) Texas style food
Available without leaving the airport ... at Dickey's BBQ in various terminals, and at several different places in terminal D!

If you're gonna be in downtown Dallas anyway for sightseeing, find the outdoor sculpture "The Cattle Drive". It's the largest bronze sculpture in the world, covering most of a city block. Hey, memories, that's what it's all about.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:59 am
Suspended

Thanks.

I just went to the DFW homepage and noticed that there is a rail service linking DFW to Fort Worth and Dallas although the frequency is a bit limited (2 trains per hours during week days)

I am a bit confused as to whether or not should I stay in an airport hotel (prob Westin as PL seems to be only offering this). or should I stay in downtown (D ro FW)?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2 MM, Marriott Titanium, Admirals Club, Hilton Silver, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by FTW

Old Jul 11, 2007, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2 MM, Marriott Titanium, Admirals Club, Hilton Silver, Priority Club Platinum
I tried the rail to Dallas and it takes you to Union Station which is near the 6th Floor museum (kennedy Museum). The problem is that the van to the rail line is a long ride. If you do stay in downtown Dallas, it is pretty quiet at night.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oldvolvo
I tried the rail to Dallas and it takes you to Union Station which is near the 6th Floor museum (kennedy Museum). The problem is that the van to the rail line is a long ride. If you do stay in downtown Dallas, it is pretty quiet at night.
I thought the shuttle from DFW to the train station.

I have decided to change my plans slightly and will arrive DFW at 2:55PM

and leave the next day 1745.

Unfortunately that means giving up suites to coffins, but at least I avoided the mad dog 80

So the 10 million dollar question, where should I stay?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:29 pm

I thought the shuttle from DFW to the train station.

I have decided to change my plans slightly and will arrive DFW at 2:55PM

and leave the next day 1745.

Unfortunately that means giving up suites to coffins, but at least I avoided the mad dog 80

So the 10 million dollar question, where should I stay?
rent a hertz car with navigation.

it is worth the extra money.

if you do not drive, I would suggest just staying at a local hotel, and watching HBO

Public transport here will be slow and frustrating, and taxis will be prohibitively expensive

to make the most of your time, driving is a necessity

As far as hotels, without knowing your budget, it is most difficult to recommend anyplace. There are many good choices
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Available without leaving the airport ... at Dickey's BBQ in various terminals, and at several different places in terminal D!
Dickey's is foul
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
If you concentrate in a downtown, you could look at a Super Shuttle to cut down on the transportation cost. I don't mean to steer you away from Fort Worth...I just know Dallas better. You could stay downtown at the Adam's Mark, Westin, Fairmont, etc. and do the Nasher, the DMA, and the JFK Museums. On/near McKinney Ave, just north of downtown in uptown, past Woodall Rogers Frwy, you could take a 15 min walk from the mentioned hotels to one of the restaurants at the Crescent Hotel, DragonFly at Hotel Zsa Zsa, Trulucks Steak/Seafood, or S&D Oyster Company. If you need a drink on the way to/from, you could stop at the Idle Rich Pub or wonder up Boll St to The Gingerman.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:28 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by DallasAudiGuy
Dickey's is foul
OP wanted some "Texas" style food.

Cousin's in terminal D is okay. Probably the best airport BBQ is Salt Lick at AUS.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
Be careful in downtown Dallas. I was with a friend the day after the Cotton Bowl this year in early January on a weekday morning walking around downtown Dallas. We stopped at the JFK Memorial (less than a block from the park/museum's/etc) and were snapping some pictures of the memorial when a Dallas police cruiser pulled up next to us, asked us what we were doing, and told us that office security cameras in the high-rises saw us with cameras and had 911 calls placed on us (showing us the different calls on the car's computer). We were informed that picture taking was not allowed in downtown Dallas.

Me and my friend are both active duty military and were clearly dressed as tourists in sports team clothing with cameras around our necks, at a public memorial.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by terrysalmi
We were informed that picture taking was not allowed in downtown Dallas.
Wow! Assuming this bit of nonsense (that there actually is such a law) is true, just think, we allow picture taking here in New York City. I guess that makes Dallas so much safer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.