Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW and the AA / C. R. Smith Museum in Dallas (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
C. R. Smith Museum
American Airlines history, 1940 DC-3 "Flagship Knoxville" NC-21798

American Airlines C.R. Smith Museum
4601 Texas Highway 360
Fort Worth, Texas 76155
817-967-1560
Online store: http://store.crsmithmuseum.org/store/

Hours: The Museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Museum is closed on Sundays and Mondays. See site for exceptions (summer Sundays)

Guides: most are volunteers, retired AA employees.

Tickets: Museum Members: No Charge
Adult – $7;
Senior Citizens 65+, Military, Students (with ID), Children 2-17: $4:, Infants: No Charge

The C.R. Smith Museum takes visitors on a flight through American Airlines history, with interactive exhibits that entice participation by all age groups. The museum features hundreds of historical artifacts, photographs, full-scale aircraft engines and a rare Douglas DC-3 airliner. In addition, the museum’s state of the art 4K digital theater features Pursuit of Flight, a film, featuring the history and physics of aviation from ancient times through today.(Some memorabilia from TW, US, HP as well.)

Flyable AA Douglas DC-3 NC-21798 "Flagship Knoxville" - c/n 2202, built NOV 1940

More photos: link to Airways Magazine photos of C. R. Smith Museum

Link to Brendan Healey's photos of museum

Getting there:

From DFW airport: taxi (three miles, $19.50 each way due to taxi minima)

Über.

Unofficial: look for crew bus area, take AA Training and Conference Center / Flight Academy shuttle bus (half-hourly) and get dropped off at Museum. N. B. Transport is space available only (employees on business have priority).

Originally Posted by JonNYC
These are directions for free van transport to the American Airlines Training and Conference Center, which I think is right on the same plot (and same side of the highway, I think.)

And generic driving instructions (but not to the Museum specifically-- to AATCC):
"From D/FW Airport:
Take the South exit out of DFW. Take the Highway 360 South Arlington exit, which bears to the right. Exit 1/4 mile onto the access road to FAA Road. Continue to the three-way stop sign. Go straight through intersection. "

Address of the Smith Museum:
4601 Texas Highway 360 at FAA Road
Fort Worth, Texas
Originally Posted by Aldoman
I'll be having a 6 hour stopover at DFW and I really want to go to the museum, but I'm a cheap student not willing to spend more than a couple of bucks to go there so I made some googling and what I could get was:

1.- You take the shuttle from your terminal to the South Remote Parking Lot. (I believe it's free, and every 15min)
2.- You take the shuttle from the South Remote Parking Lot to the "Centreport/DFW" TRE Station. (I believe it's free, and every 15 min)
3.- You take the "T 30 Centreport Circulator" which costs $1.50 o/w from the Centerport/DFW TRE Station to the AA Flight Academy. The catch: It's only Monday through Friday, 1 bus every 45 minutes and it just works during commuting time (6:00 to 8:00 and 15:00 to 18:00)...

Update: 2 Aug 2015 JDiver
Print Wikipost

DFW and the AA / C. R. Smith Museum in Dallas (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2005, 7:57 am
Suspended

These are directions for free van transport to the American Airlines Training and Conference Center, which I think is right on the same plot (and same side of the highway, I think.)
AIRPORT TRANSPORTATION
American Airlines Training and Conference Center offers complimentary transportation to and from DFW Airport. This service is available seven days a week between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m.

Upon arrival at DFW airport, proceed to the baggage claim area and secure your luggage.

Once you have claimed your luggage, proceed to the “ Hotel Transportation” Board located in the Baggage claim area.

Using the courtesy telephone provided at the Hotel Board, call the American Airlines Training Conference Center…a number appears next to our name on the board.

The operator will ask you to identify your location. That information is printed clearly for you next to the courtesy phone you are using. Because DFW airport has four separate and distinct terminals, it is important that we know exactly where you are so that a driver can be dispatched expediently.

The operator will advise you to proceed to the lower level of the terminal, and stand near the curb, between the two gray signs that say: “Courtesy Van Pickup”.

Please be advised that our drivers pickup on the lower level only. You must take the escalator or elevator down one level from the Baggage Claim.

Return transportation from AATCC to DFW airport is available between 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. Shuttles run on demand, and do not follow a rigid schedule. Simply request the shuttle at the front desk of the hotel lobby, allowing yourself 20 minutes lead time in the event our drivers are in transit at the time of your request.
And generic driving instructions (but not to the Museum specifically-- to AATCC):
"From D/FW Airport:
Take the South exit out of DFW. Take the Highway 360 South Arlington exit, which bears to the right. Exit 1/4 mile onto the access road to FAA Road. Continue to the three-way stop sign. Go straight through intersection. "

Address of the Smith Museum:
4601 Texas Highway 360 at FAA Road
Fort Worth, Texas
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've used a taxi - and I've used the AA crew shuttles that stop at the American Airlines Training and Conference Center as well! Obviously, I'm not going to take a seat that is for an AA crew member, but I've courtesouly asked if it's OK, and I've always been welcomed.

I wish I could tell you specifically where the crew shuttle picks up, but I can't remember that very well - perhaps at either end of the terminal. Ask, or look around. Enjoy! The beautifully restored DC-3 alone is worth it, IMO.

American Airlines
C.R. Smith Museum
817-967-1560

NEW MUSEUM HOURS
Wednesday-Saturday, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Sunday, Noon - 5 p.m.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 5:17 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
I was there two weeks ago and the entire visit can be done in an hour (less if you don't sit through the 15 minute AA movie/commercial).

I found it quite interesting -- it's worth the trip if the history of AA interests you.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 3:39 pm
Suspended

AA Museum and DFW

I will be having a 1 day stop at DFW and just wondering what is there to do in both Forth Worth and Dallas.

I thought I read somewhere there is an AA Aviation museum somewhere near DFW?

Also is there a memorial of JFK in Dallas?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
The CR Smith Museum is near DFW:
http://www.crsmithmuseum.org/directi...nsframeset.htm

The Sixth Floor Museum is the JFK museum in downtown Dallas:
http://www.jfk.org/Directions_to_the_Museum.htm

If you like museums, Dallas also has the DMA:
http://dallasmuseumofart.org/

And Fort Worth has
The Kimbell - http://www.kimbellart.org/
and
The Fort Worth Museum of Science and History - http://www.fwmuseum.org
Old Jul 10, 2007, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rtwdone4

Yes:
http://www.crsmithmuseum.org

And as a reminder, when you're at the airport, it would behoove you to spend most of your time at terminal D because it has the best food and shopping options.

(As for the ACs, see the recent thread entitled "Which AC at DFW is best?" or something like that. The short version: A for the showers/exercise room, D for everything else.)
Old Jul 10, 2007, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Thanks.

I've been to DFW before but never actually stepped outside of the airport. Just wondering with only limited time should I stay at the Hyat hotel at the airport or stay at Dallas or Forth Worth?

Also I usually goto the BA lounge instead in Terminal D as it has free drinks and snacks
Old Jul 10, 2007, 4:16 pm

Thanks.

I've been to DFW before but never actually stepped outside of the airport. Just wondering with only limited time should I stay at the Hyat hotel at the airport or stay at Dallas or Forth Worth?
Hyatt is OK if you don't have a way to get around and need to stay near.

Hotels out N side of airport are nice.

nobody goes E into Dallas....

The CR Smith museum is nice (5 minutes away but the min cab ride is expensive), as well as the mentioned terminal D.

Good luck.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 5:53 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
How can one get to the CR Smith Museum? At one time they had an shuttle van which took people to the training center, which is near the museum. Is that option still available?

If I had a day in Dallas, I'd rent a car and go to the best BBQ joint in the world: the original Sonny Bryan's, Inwood at Harry Hines (literally within spitting distance of Love Field). Julia Child, James Beard and dozens of other gourmands can't all be wrong.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
How can one get to the CR Smith Museum? At one time they had an shuttle van which took people to the training center, which is near the museum. Is that option still available?

Not sure about it being avaliable for non employees but it still runs every half hour from DFW to the training center as I was down there a few weeks ago.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 6:05 pm

I will be having a 1 day stop at DFW and just wondering what is there to do in both Forth Worth and Dallas.

The museum is kind of intresting, I enjoyed the movie they show and also reading the 9/11 memorial displys which include the US flag that had the names of all the employees killed inscribed upon it by an AA pilot and then was then flown on different routes across the system.

I alos enjoyed the TSBD museum , and I believe that just across the street is "alternative" JFK museum run by some conspiracy buffs. Within a block of that is the JFK memorial .
Old Jul 10, 2007, 6:05 pm

The museum is kind of intresting, I enjoyed the movie they show and also reading the 9/11 memorial displys which include the US flag that had the names of all the employees killed inscribed upon it by an AA pilot and then was then flown on different routes across the system.

I alos enjoyed the TSBD museum , and I believe that just across the street is "alternative" JFK museum run by some conspiracy buffs. Within a block of that is the JFK memorial .

Edit

http://www.jfk.org/Research/Kennedy_...l/Contents.htm

Last edited by jrhone; Jul 10, 2007 at 6:05 pm Reason: addin link
Old Jul 10, 2007, 7:01 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
Originally Posted by jrhone
Not sure about it being avaliable for non employees but it still runs every half hour from DFW to the training center as I was down there a few weeks ago.
Please ask and post whether it is available to pax wanting to go to the CRSmith museum.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by kappa
Please ask and post whether it is available to pax wanting to go to the CRSmith museum.
Call the DFW Admirals club or the museum and ask?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Advantage, Starwood, Hilton Honors, Points.com
Thumbs up

I second the recommendations for the Kimbell and the DMA. Also, Dallas has quite a few wonderful restaurants.
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
The CR Smith Museum is near DFW:
http://www.crsmithmuseum.org/directi...nsframeset.htm

The Sixth Floor Museum is the JFK museum in downtown Dallas:
http://www.jfk.org/Directions_to_the_Museum.htm

If you like museums, Dallas also has the DMA:
http://dallasmuseumofart.org/

And Fort Worth has
The Kimbell - http://www.kimbellart.org/
and
The Fort Worth Museum of Science and History - http://www.fwmuseum.org

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.