Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should we have an AA Almond Index?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2008, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Should we have an AA Almond Index?

I'm a an AA FF. After flying in Asia all of April, I had my first four American flights in a long time, this week. And I noticed one thing immediately. There were *far* more almonds in the first-class mixed nuts. Since it happened twice, I thought I would post here to see if anyone else noticed this, or was it just the S80 factor? I hate almonds, I want more cashews!
Old May 16, 2008, 9:53 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
As long as they're not loaded down with Peanuts I'm pretty calm about it... but more cashews are always appreciated. Perhaps a Peanut-to-Exotic-Nut ratio? I can't believe I just typed that...
Old May 16, 2008, 10:47 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue this discussion in the AA Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 16, 2008, 10:52 am

So funny. I have noticed this and thought about starting a thread about it. I decided against it, for fear of more rebuke that the AA forum is food obsessed.

But yes, no question about it. The ramekins are now at least 1/3 almonds. Nothing wrong with almonds but its nice to have a real mix, rather than a predominance of one nut.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I sat next to a guy a couple weeks ago who actually dumped the contents of the nut bowl onto his tray table, segregated the almonds, brushed the rest off the edge into his hand, ate them in one mouthful, individually placed the almonds back into the bowl, set it on the very edge of the tray, and made a show of handing it back to the FA when she passed by to deliver the almond-heavy mixture to the row behind us.

Yes. I've seen a definite increase in the # of almonds recently.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:59 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Definitely more almonds. My wife and I were commenting on that recently. As they're one of the healthier nuts, though, I'm not complaining

Cheers.
Old May 16, 2008, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by oneant
I sat next to a guy a couple weeks ago who actually dumped the contents of the nut bowl onto his tray table, segregated the almonds, brushed the rest off the edge into his hand, ate them in one mouthful, individually placed the almonds back into the bowl, set it on the very edge of the tray, and made a show of handing it back to the FA when she passed by to deliver the almond-heavy mixture to the row behind us.

Yes. I've seen a definite increase in the # of almonds recently.
....and then he died of some horrible disease from putting food directly on the tray table?
Old May 16, 2008, 11:03 am

Considering his behavior as well as his size, I concluded that, while he may be picky about what he's eating, he's not at all concerned about where it's been.
Old May 16, 2008, 11:33 am
Suspended

Pretty earth-shatterring this stuff, sort of between the China earthquake and the Myanmar typhoon in importance.

Its topics like these that virtually ensures that AA needs to pay strict attention to everything posted this board.

mike
Old May 16, 2008, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA 2P, Bonvoy Gold
I'd love to see all almonds, they're better for you, and taste great. For what it's worth, I have noticed a LOT more almonds, I always thought it was a lucky shake of the bottle.
Old May 16, 2008, 12:03 pm

It's interesting. Some people prefer almonds and rather like the change. Others prefer more variety (I'm a cashew guy myself).

Either way, mikesilv, I think it points to a possible cost-cutting effort. "If we increase the cheaper almond count, we can save $xxx/yr." And reactions from top-tier elite fliers to cost-cutting efforts IS something I think AA would want to know about. YMMV
Old May 16, 2008, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
The almond crop this year was stellar (at least in Spain) so they may have gone down in price - and thus up in volume in the AA nut mix.

I like almonds, so am ok with the ratio. Though I do love those cashews
Old May 16, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have two words to add to this thread. SOY NUTS.

Be thankful.
Old May 16, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinium 1.55MM AVIS Preferred Hertz Gold Marriott Platinum
Enjoy your almonds while you still can. As Colony Collapse Disorder continues to attack the honeybees, the days of cheep almonds are numbered.

For almonds growing in California, honey bees are the predominant pollinator.

Or for those who want fewer almonds, don't worry, they will be gone soon.
Old May 16, 2008, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
ive always had more cashews than almonds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.