Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2007 AAdvantage status year repurchase/buyback (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2006, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA PLT, Inspirato, Wheels Up, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
2007 AAdvantage status year repurchase/buyback (consolidated)

Here's the link:

http://www.aa.com/content/urls/elite...RL&title=elite

It says "Coming January 2008" right now, but it's obviously a typo based on the content of the page.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:10 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Too bad. This is one program they should get rid of entirely.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage (PLT :(, 2MM), HHonors (Silver), Hertz (5 Star), Marriott (Silver)
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Agreed. (of course only until I drop from EXP to PLT and then fail to requal and want to keep status for 1 more yr before falling to gold )
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:00 pm

Location: Westford MA - AA PLT, 1.5MM, Lifetime AC, AAdvantage since 1981
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
There was a period of about 6 or 7 years when job responsibilities were shifting and I made elite every other year. That meant I was elite when I wasn't flying and ZIPPO when I was flying! I would have loved this program!

And I believe this is exactly the segment AA is targeting--long-term frequent flyers who had an off year in 2006, but who know they will fly more in 2007.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
AA's Status Buyback Program Has Returned!
Like a bad penny.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
its not a bad deal for AA; it probably costs the traveler more than if they actually flew the BIS miles. I don't see this taking away from any EXP's at least (which keeps me happy as long as I'm EXP); I can see how some plats or Gold's may not like it though
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:39 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I think it would be less obtrusive it it were only allowed for those with, say 10% of the target (45K, 22.5K). This would seem like less of a watering down effect, IMO.

Cheers.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Something like that would make more sense. I always find it odd that a "frequent" flyer program has this status renewal silliness for people who didn't frequently fly. I have flown TACA/COPA a couple of times this year with slightly better routing however that was after requalifying for PLT in August. If this continues, for the slight cost, I might not worry about trying for my 50K in 2007.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM Miler, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Does anybody have any numbers as to how many people have taken up this opportunity when offered in the past for Gold and for Platinum?
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Let's not forget that this is a one time deal.

All current AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold members are eligible to participate in this offer provided they have flown at least one elite qualifying segment during 2006. Members who participated in the 2006 offer are not eligible to extend their status through this offer for the 2007 membership year.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
it probably costs the traveler more than if they actually flew the BIS miles.
Maybe it's more expensive for those who are fairly close to requalification, but I doubt that anyone who lacks a good portion of the needed miles/point/segments can earn them for less than the buyback purchase price.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by andrzej
Let's not forget that this is a one time deal.
The way I understand it, it's not necessarily a one time deal. It just can be done two years in a row. I don't think there's anything preventing someone who used the program previous to last year from using it again.

Whoops! I meant "can't" be done two years in a row.

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Dec 15, 2006 at 1:09 pm
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
The way I understand it, it's not necessarily a one time deal. It just can be done two years in a row. I don't think there's anything preventing someone who used the program previous to last year from using it again.
true, but that would mean an automatic drop anyway, wouldn't it?

Let's say you were Plat in 05, bought into Plat in 06, so what would you be buying now? Gold??? why? you will get it anyway....
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Originally Posted by erenner
Agreed. (of course only until I drop from EXP to PLT and then fail to requal and want to keep status for 1 more yr before falling to gold )
I concur. As long as they do not mess with my chances of an upgrade, it's cool with me.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by andrzej
Let's say you were Plat in 05, bought into Plat in 06, so what would you be buying now? Gold??? why? you will get it anyway....
I was thinking more of someone who used the buyback program in 04, earned his/her status in 05, yet will fail to requalify in 06. The way I understand it, this person is be eligible to use the program again this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.